• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ape $h!t

Frank Delicious said:
Threw the C-PD2 and the Ape side by side today in 30 mph winds. Threw it into the headwind and into a left to right sidewind.

For the headwind, they both held hyzers the whole way with the PD2 fading out harder left at the end and the Ape skipping farther forward. neither of them stood up from hyzer when I threw them and when thrown flat into the headwind the Ape tracked very slightly right but not more than like 5-10'.

Into the L to R sidewind, the PD2 would hold a hyzer the whole way and the Ape would move about 10-15' right before fading back pretty well.

Overall I would describe the Ape as a C-PD2 L. I'll get some side by side pics tonight or tomorrow. The Ape has the same little microbead the PD2 has but the underside of the wing flattens a little more than the PD2 and the shoulder above the nose is much lower.

and the Z force?

from reading your other post I would assume its longer?

Picking up a couple protostars later this week and am going to be interested to see if they changed anything.

Threw this some more today with my Z force, production C-PD2 and European Open C-PD2. I didn't have an Xcal to throw it with. I don't know if I really like this disc that much. The Z force goes farther and fights the wind well enough to be a stable distance driver. The C-PD2 (both ones) are more overstable and fight the wind better. This disc seems stranded between the C-PD2 and the good Xcals. I guess if you throw torquey forhands and don't want to use a C-PD2 or Champ Xcal, this will be the disc for you.

I received one in the mail today and guess what? it's windy out! Perfect!

Good thing I also got a cpd2.

this disc should be called the dolphin, because it just flips and dives. lol

20 mph headwind and all it would do is turn hard even from the first throw. (thrown flat)

Did I get a weird one? it is a champion non star stamp, 175g yellow ape.

I think you definitely got a weird one. I was playing in 25mph winds (gusts to 35) this past weekend and my buddy was crushing his Ape about 400ft into a headwind on a pure hyzer line. He had to put a lot of hyzer on it because of all the wind, but it never turned over on him. In comparison my Predators also held their lines, but they were being lifted up and slammed down like paper plates during their flight. The Ape didn't seem to be affected by the updrafts and downdrafts nearly as much.

I threw them flat into a headwind. the cpd2 did great. basicly the flight path of a stable spd in no wind.

The ape needs hyzer into a headwind? Thats lame. My most stable nuke can handle that win with enough hyzer.

rwmurrow said:
I threw them flat into a headwind. the cpd2 did great. basicly the flight path of a stable spd in no wind.

The ape needs hyzer into a headwind? Thats lame. My most stable nuke can handle that win with enough hyzer.

To throw 400ft on a pure hyzer line into a 25mph gusty headwind, yes, it needs hyzer.

roman said:
rwmurrow said:

To throw 400ft on a pure hyzer line into a 25mph gusty headwind, yes, it needs hyzer.

Wouldn't anything need to be thrown with hyzer to be a pure hyzer line? If it was thrown flat it would be a flat to fade line...

That was kind of my point. I added the extra detail to point out that it was a crush, and that the wind was blowing strong ;)

I have a max weight yellow Star Xcal and it has done just fine for me at my windy courses. I'm not sure that I can justify buying the same disc a tic faster, but some of you are putting up a good argument.

What do folks have to say about a direct comparison for Xcal vs. Ape?

The Ape to Xcal comparison is the most relevant one imo. The Ape is to the Xcal what the Max was to the Monster. There's no question that the Ape is faster and longer, but it may have slightly less stability than the Xcal. Not sure yet. It certainly won't flip when thrown flat, but when thrown with stiff anhyzer angle it seems to maybe hold onto that anny cut a little longer than an Xcal would. It has resulted in some of my longest throws to date, but that may be only because I don't throw a Boss or Katana, only Destroyer & Xcal previously. Despite whatever minor differences there are still, I think carrying Xcal & Ape both would be highly redundant.

pg043 said:
The Ape to Xcal comparison is the most relevant one imo. The Ape is to the Xcal what the Max was to the Monster. There's no question that the Ape is faster and longer, but it may have slightly less stability than the Xcal. Not sure yet. It certainly won't flip when thrown flat, but when thrown with stiff anhyzer angle it seems to maybe hold onto that anny cut a little longer than an Xcal would. It has resulted in some of my longest throws to date, but that may be only because I don't throw a Boss or Katana, only Destroyer & Xcal previously. Despite whatever minor differences there are still, I think carrying Xcal & Ape both would be highly redundant.

How far are you throwing to say that an Ape has gotten you your longest throw to date?

my longest throws have gone a little over 500 but 450 is still a big throw to me

My C PD2 was out shining about 6 other peoples apes today in very windy weather today. Or maybe I'm just better than them.

After throwing a friend's Ape in the wind at Rennaisance Gold side-by-side with my C-PD2s I found the production C-PD2 to be much more reliable. On a downhill FH shot into headwind I threw them both with hyzer and while the C-PD2 held the hyzer to the basket the Ape flipped flat for a bit longer than I anticipated and went too long (left to right turning shot was required to reach the basket). I am going to stick with my C-PD2 as I am finding it to be more predictable in the wind (which is its main role).