• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Revolution bags still relevant?

Carter

Eagle Member
I am curious if anyone has recently purchased a new Revolution bag of any kind. Are there any devout customers that will not jump ship for the newer offerings? With all these new companies releasing bags, some are obviously shit while others are serious examples of ingenuity and high quality construction, will Revo be left in the dust? Or is their tank-like construction going to ensure them a steady market share in spite of the fact that they are not innovating or even trying to play catch up to the competition? Do you think they need to play catch up or do you think they have been and will be the market standard of quality and usability for the foreseeable future?

My personal opinion on the matter is that Revo makes a great product, but with options out there that are more comfortable, have better designed storage and are just sexier, I don't think I will spend my money on another Revo carolina if they don't change some of their products. If they would take a cue from grip and build a back pack that is more than just a potato sack with an internal frame, that'd be way cool. Redesign the mini deluxe to have a usable putter pocket. It seems like they just release some digi camo models to keep themselves relevant instead of working on new products. All that being said, I've had a carolina for about 3 years now which I bought used. The corners on the bottom were already torn and seem to have stayed the same over the years. It has been a very good bag, but I'm starting to get tired of digging through the side pockets for my chap stick, phone, rape kit, etc. If they would just give us pockets that aren't shit, I'd be a lot happier with the bag.

There's plenty of people around here that won't be getting rid of their carolinas for a long time. They aren't the best bags ever, but with a little modifying will last.

Plus, all the new expensive bags don't really coincide with the typical affordability of disc golf. I know I have a really hard time justifying spending 300+ on a new bag, but $150 for a carolina with quads is still fairly reasonable for what you get.

Personally, the best bag I have owned is the one I'm currently carrying - the gateway tour backpack. Got it for $60, it's more comfortable and has more functional space than a lot of other bags, and it's nearly bulletproof.

Am I devoted Revo person, not by any strecth. But I do think that Revo is still the standard for bag quality in the dg arena. I have yet to own a Revo bag that wasn't top notch. And as VicB pointed out, the price of some of these newer bags is getting a bit out of hand.

The revos are pretty expensive here probably because of the shipping, so for me the Revos have never really been a choice. The carolina team bag costs 155€ here, it isn't huge by any standards, and if the Prodiscus bag is quality as well as awesome as it seems, I don't see any reason to invest in a Revo bag since the cost difference is a mere 5€.

I bought 2 Revo bags on a closeout deal in 2005 for $75...They are basically Carolinas with a backpack style snapping waist belts, which they stopped making for some reason. These bags are unbelievable...The waist strap takes so much stress off the shoulders and back. Anyway, I'm still on my first one and will probably use it for about 5 more years (lasting through 3-4 pair of quads). Then I will break out the backup...

Dave at Revolution is an interesting guy...He obviously had a psychotic obsession with quality and super engineering--the Revo bags came out Worlds ahead of disc golf as a whole in '98. I still think they are probably the toughest thing out there. However, I've heard and seen emails copied and pasted where he has been less than friendly to some who purchased his bags. Revo has been quiet as the rest of the sport is moving at warp speed, so I don't know what their future will be. I do know I'll be carrying a Revo bag for at least the next 10 years.

Are they still relevant? Yes.

Will they still be relevant in 5 years? I don't know. Bags are getting better and cheaper. Lots of people don't want to spend $300 on a super expensive bag but they can still get a GB or a Lat 64 bag. If they want to go cheaper than that, they can get a fade bag. Back in the day if you wanted a bigger bag that stood up to punishment, you had to go Revo. Now there are a bunch of options out there and revo's are a lot less appealing with some of their design flaws.

discspeed said:
I bought 2 Revo bags on a closeout deal in 2005 for $75...They are basically Carolinas with a backpack style snapping waist belts, which they stopped making for some reason. These bags are unbelievable...The waist strap takes so much stress off the shoulders and back. Anyway, I'm still on my first one and will probably use it for about 5 more years (lasting through 3-4 pair of quads). Then I will break out the backup...

Dave at Revolution is an interesting guy...He obviously had a psychotic obsession with quality and super engineering--the Revo bags came out Worlds ahead of disc golf as a whole in '98. I still think they are probably the toughest thing out there. However, I've heard and seen emails copied and pasted where he has been less than friendly to some who purchased his bags. Revo has been quiet as the rest of the sport is moving at warp speed, so I don't know what their future will be. I do know I'll be carrying a Revo bag for at least the next 10 years.

until MVP overmolds a bag...

zj1002 said:
discspeed said:

until MVP overmolds a bag...

I've somehow neglected to consider that...You're probably right. :lol:

i think as long as the pros keep using revo bags they will remain relevant, and if they were to fix some of this know issues (like the water bottle holders) they could continue being the gold standard. my carolina is 3 years old and other than a few scuffs on the bottom is still in great condition.

In USA that might be the case, here it's pricing is so bad that I don't think it's able to compete with the new kids.

I considered picking up a revo bag for quite a while before finally picking one up almost a year ago. My dual pack is holding up strong and I like the bag a lot, much more comfortable than a regular bag with quads. Like others have said though, there are so many companies out on the market that I'm not sure what my next bag will be. I don't expect to have to purchase another for quite a while, but if I had to buy one today I'd probably fork out the dough for the Mahal. Yeah, the size might be a bit overkill, but everybody who seems to have one says the fit is heavenly, and the lifetime warranty is definitely nice. If they made something a touch smaller and in the price range of the grip I'd be all over it.

Carolina's are $155 now and once you've added $35 quad shocks, it's pushing $190. The Dual Pack is $185 now. Grips are $200. The Mahal is the outlier in the industry, but when you look at that price, you are getting some features that no bag has ever had with technology borrowed from a well established industry which ensures a perfect fit and unparalleled support. Latitude offers a pretty decent bag with quality being a little better than fade bags. GB makes a great no frills bag that holds up to serious abuse and he is able to keep his prices low. UB has a bag coming, but how knows what that will turn out to be. To me, fade bags are on par with innova and discraft in terms of quality of their designs and materials, not what I'm looking for.

I will always think of Revo bags as being built like tanks and lasting forever, but as their prices have risen and their designs have not been updated, other bags are becoming more attractive to me.

I've had my Revo Carolina for about 3 years now, and it is holding up great. The thing is built like a damn tank. However, if I could convince myself to shell out the money for a Mahal, I would have made the change a while ago. I'm merely content with the Carolina. Definitely would consider switching if and when a better bag design comes along.

rooneytunes said:
Carolina's are $155 now and once you've added $35 quad shocks, it's pushing $190. The Dual Pack is $185 now. Grips are $200. The Mahal is the outlier in the industry, but when you look at that price, you are getting some features that no bag has ever had with technology borrowed from a well established industry which ensures a perfect fit and unparalleled support. Latitude offers a pretty decent bag with quality being a little better than fade bags. GB makes a great no frills bag that holds up to serious abuse and he is able to keep his prices low. UB has a bag coming, but how knows what that will turn out to be. To me, fade bags are on par with innova and discraft in terms of quality of their designs and materials, not what I'm looking for.

I will always think of Revo bags as being built like tanks and lasting forever, but as their prices have risen and their designs have not been updated, other bags are becoming more attractive to me.
Add the upcoming Prodiscus bag to that lineup and it's not as easy to recommend Revos as it used to be.

http://issuu.com/jackbox/docs/prodiscus_eng?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222

It's on the second and third page.

Frank Delicious said:
http://issuu.com/jackbox/docs/prodiscus_eng?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222

It's on the second and third page.

Not sure I like the prodiscus circle cross logo :|

lowracks said:
Is Revolution still planning on releasing a new backpack design?

I'm still wondering that myself. I've been excited ever since I heard the rumor last year.