• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I might get splashed from the eurofish for saying this but I love MVP anyway (threw the HELL out of pures before they ever came with a weird dome) and the atom is a better pure.

I hate to agree with you, but I do.

I haven't thrown a Pure since my first round with an Atom, and I've turned away from a lot of putters I liked well enough in this stability range because of how invested I was in Pures. The extra stability in the wind sold me. With a freshy and one on its way to seasoned, I'm not even sure I need a Rhyno type of disc either. I'll reserve final judgement for summer when the temps could make the plastic too soft for me (not nearly as big a fan of the feel of Electron despite them flying the same), but for right now, they're in the bag.

Are you throwing atoms and putting wizards? I cant get used to the feel of the atom after using ions for so long. It works as a putter just am not sure it's the putter for me.

That I am. I don't like the extra speed of the Atom when putting. I tried them one round, and it was more than enough.

It's going to take something insanely perfect (for me) to kick Wizards out of the putting spot.

yeah I hear that. The glide isn't a strong trait either so you have to rely on the speed to get it in-- not something im used to with a putter where I like a little more float at low speeds.

Had a chance to play some disc for the first time this year Friday after work. Brought the soft Atom I got from AIM to test out. Very first time throwing it I hit a 60'+ birdie putt. I think she'll be staying in the bag. :D

Took my Eco Swan out of the bag and have used the Atom for 2 rounds. So far,
I really like it. On short approaches it is pretty much dead straight even with some umph on it. Feels very similar to my Swan in the hand and on putts. Do far it seems to run out of gas and dump when powered down, but my sample size is pretty small. It is sticking around for while.

^ yea you definitely have to spin the crap out of it to keep it floating at low speed. Driving it though is where I see its glide(or is it gyro?:D) really stand out. It just goes forever, I have never been able to throw a putter so far so easily. Give it just a little hyzer and crush it, and it flips up goes dead straight. Its landing past my mids.

yeah I hear that. The glide isn't a strong trait either so you have to rely on the speed to get it in-- not something im used to with a putter where I like a little more float at low speeds.

this is what I'm seeing as well but I swear I read some early reviews that the atom had a ton of glide for putting.

Still need that electron ion...

Took a huge chunk out of an Atom the other day, durability is terrible, but I'm still throwing it. Using a Swan 2 for putting, I use the Atom on straight upshots and hyzerflips.

Took a huge chunk out of an Atom the other day, durability is terrible, but I'm still throwing it. Using a Swan 2 for putting, I use the Atom on straight upshots and hyzerflips.

Did it get flippier, or did it just look bad? Mine looks like it's been run over by a car and it still flies great. I think calling the durability terrible is a bit of an overstatement if it flies the same.

In response to the poor glide they definitely are not great for push putting. But I'm a spin putter and they are butter. I'm throwing them without jumping or stepping from over 50 feet and still not fearing a headwind. They have improved my putting confidence immensely.

Did it get flippier, or did it just look bad? Mine looks like it's been run over by a car and it still flies great. I think calling the durability terrible is a bit of an overstatement if it flies the same.

It flies the same despite the dime sized chunk missing. Not sure if I hit a tree or basket with it, I just noticed it during some practice play. I stand behind terrible durability. Some people like the disc looking decent and I'm one, especially after such little throws. I will say though I like the grip and flight, almost Aced with it the other day, hit the basket low at Zimmerman #1 from 216.

Personally still hoping they come out with Electron Hard as I prefer a harder plastic for putting anyway. As a side effect, durability should improve some since the blend is the same in the plate as it is in the rim.

Also, I highly recommend throwing the Soft ones, they handle tree hits MUCH better than the normal ones. I purchased both but cannot putt with Soft, so I'm throwing them and they are breaking in MUCH slower than my spare normal was so its now out of the bag and I'm only driving/approaching with the softie.

You guys complaining about the glide, at what distance does that become apparent? And what weights are you using? Just curious because I'm using 167g non-softs, and they actually got me back to using a push putt sometimes. A little nose up and they float dead straight with very little effort. If I'm not push putting it's usually a hybrid putt (nose more level, a touch more spin, but still putting it on an arc) which it also does really well at for me. I'm worthless most days outside the circle with any putter though, so maybe the lack of glide only matters where I'm not expecting to make it anyway. But I don't really notice them dropping earlier than other putters. I guess it could also just be that the better release they give me makes up for the lack of glide.

Personally still hoping they come out with Electron Hard as I prefer a harder plastic for putting anyway. As a side effect, durability should improve some since the blend is the same in the plate as it is in the rim.

Also, I highly recommend throwing the Soft ones, they handle tree hits MUCH better than the normal ones. I purchased both but cannot putt with Soft, so I'm throwing them and they are breaking in MUCH slower than my spare normal was so its now out of the bag and I'm only driving/approaching with the softie.

Ok what?

" I hope they make harder plastic so the disc is more durable."

"the soft ones are more durable"

You guys complaining about the glide, at what distance does that become apparent? And what weights are you using? Just curious because I'm using 167g non-softs, and they actually got me back to using a push putt sometimes. A little nose up and they float dead straight with very little effort. If I'm not push putting it's usually a hybrid putt (nose more level, a touch more spin, but still putting it on an arc) which it also does really well at for me. I'm worthless most days outside the circle with any putter though, so maybe the lack of glide only matters where I'm not expecting to make it anyway. But I don't really notice them dropping earlier than other putters. I guess it could also just be that the better release they give me makes up for the lack of glide.

I've noticed the lack of glide from inside the circle. Granted, I do putt with a beat up Wizard, but I think the "lack of glide" is more derived from this disc being pretty fast and low profile for a putter. I've dabbled with putting with Atoms, Proxy and Envy and I find all of them to be just a tick too fast for my style of putting. I am a spin putter in every aspect but I don't putt that hard I guess. For me I just found many of my putts hitting high on the cage instead of a few inches above and inside the chains like I aim for.

Its a faster putter.. At low speed it doesn't carry like a typical baseline putter. Glide is not a stong point of the atom. Its a good windy day and driving mold.

Latest posts