• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

It flies the same despite the dime sized chunk missing. Not sure if I hit a tree or basket with it, I just noticed it during some practice play. I stand behind terrible durability. Some people like the disc looking decent and I'm one, especially after such little throws. I will say though I like the grip and flight, almost Aced with it the other day, hit the basket low at Zimmerman #1 from 216.

I'm seeing the same thing in terms of durability despite some early arguments that it was as tough as DX. I took a giant chunk out of the soft yesterday with a 35 foot floaty putt that ended up clipping a rock.

I haven't seen a change in flight, which is all that counts though.

Ok what?

" I hope they make harder plastic so the disc is more durable."

"the soft ones are more durable"

The soft ones don't get bent up as much from abuse. Throw a normal and a soft one off the tee into a tree 50 feet away and compare them afterward.

As for Electron Hard (if its ever developed), the rim would not get eaten up by chains as much. As that appears to be the most common complaint about durability I have seen on here.

Its a faster putter.. At low speed it doesn't carry like a typical baseline putter. Glide is not a stong point of the atom. Its a good windy day and driving mold.

I agree with that to a point, but my personal experience is that I actually hit low less with my Atoms than I do with Wizards, etc., though like I said outside the circle and I'm kind of just lofting it up to land close and give it a chance. In your opinion, what distance does this lack of glide become apparent?

You guys complaining about the glide, at what distance does that become apparent? And what weights are you using? Just curious because I'm using 167g non-softs, and they actually got me back to using a push putt sometimes. A little nose up and they float dead straight with very little effort. If I'm not push putting it's usually a hybrid putt (nose more level, a touch more spin, but still putting it on an arc) which it also does really well at for me. I'm worthless most days outside the circle with any putter though, so maybe the lack of glide only matters where I'm not expecting to make it anyway. But I don't really notice them dropping earlier than other putters. I guess it could also just be that the better release they give me makes up for the lack of glide.

It becomes apparent outside of 30 feet for me.

I also putt with 167-168g normals. I do so, because they give me an extra 10 feet with the same power putt as a 174g Atom. (Spin putting)

They definitely have less glide than say, a Dagger or a Wizard. They are also much faster than these discs. As an example I can throw the same putt from the same distance, with the same power and out of those 3 discs, the Atom is going to drop to the ground faster once it starts to slow down.

You can push/spush/spin putt with anything. I was just suggesting that these are probably more spin friendly because you are not relying on the glide of the disc as much from outside the circle to float you to the basket.

Last edited:
I agree with that to a point, but my personal experience is that I actually hit low less with my Atoms than I do with Wizards, etc., though like I said outside the circle and I'm kind of just lofting it up to land close and give it a chance. In your opinion, what distance does this lack of glide become apparent?

100' or so. It was very noticeable on upshots when i took ions out upon the release of the atom and was using them exclusively. The new 150g plasma ions have crazy glide :)

100' or so. It was very noticeable on upshots when i took ions out upon the release of the atom and was using them exclusively. The new 150g plasma ions have crazy glide :)

I was just talking about putting but for approach there is no question it has less glide than other discs. However I actually think this is a huge advantage. I don't want my placement shots affected by anything other than my power level.

As with any disc, especially putters, it all comes down to personal preference.

Ah ok. Yeah I was specifically talking about the people saying it has no glide when putting, which for me is not anywhere near 100'. For my style of putting anyway, which isn't at all aggressive, I really can't see glide differences from mold to mold. I do however notice a small difference in the circle with lighter weights. I think the great thing about the Atom for me is the super clean release, and the wind resistance which allows me to go lighter than I'd normally go, which for me at least leads to less cage bonks.

Its a faster putter.. At low speed it doesn't carry like a typical baseline putter. Glide is not a stong point of the atom. Its a good windy day and driving mold.

I agree 100% here.
I've been carrying deep, blunt-nosed putters lately. Lexes and Polecats. They're great floaty fun. But they're of little use when the wind is up.

The Atom on the other hand goes in the bag when there's any wind. The low profile and lesser glide is more predictable when the breeze comes up. To me, they're rock solid driving, approach, and putting putters. they just aren't quite as much fun when the weather is still. I like watching discs float when the conditions allow. And I'm willing to sacrifice a stroke or two for the pleasure...

Yeah its definitely not a bad thing. I used to really prefer putters like the atom or pure but gravitated more towards a deeper and beaded design. I really like how a bead on a slower disc allows for a little more line shaping but can definitely make the mold a little less "user-friendly"..

Putters like the atom are the epitome of good "1 disc round" molds.

I was just talking about putting but for approach there is no question it has less glide than other discs. However I actually think this is a huge advantage. I don't want my placement shots affected by anything other than my power level.

As with any disc, especially putters, it all comes down to personal preference.

I dunno. It might be the electron plastic but my Atom has wayyyy more glide than my neutron Envy. My atom just floats forever when I drive it. It gets out to at least 325 while my Envys are stuck at 300

I dunno. It might be the electron plastic but my Atom has wayyyy more glide than my neutron Envy. My atom just floats forever when I drive it. It gets out to at least 325 while my Envys are stuck at 300

I would expect as much though. Atom is in Baseline plastic, and has a deeper rim. The Envy is more OS in general anyway so you're going to lose distance right there.

If you took a video of the flight from a side view, I think you would not classify the Atom as floating forever, rather its flying a long ways very straight.

In fact I don't think I've ever thrown a disc as straight as the Atom. It appears to be floating, but its really just flying.

Perhaps this is a good suggestion for MikeC video comparison of the putters. Multiple Angles to compare glide!

Thanks for kind words on the Skulboy Atom stamp a few pages back.
Here's a pic of some stamped.
Been lovin' this putter. Using a regular on distance putts and heavy soft for short range. Grip is amazing and like how it just stops and drops if you hit something other than the chains.

16656509827_c64d0a0fe2_o.jpg

Also in here is the limited run of 50 with the mini logo I did for the 1st ever Disc Golf course, Oak Grove.

Skulboy store if anyone is interested.

Latest posts