• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Maybe I got a couple mutants because mine hardly show any wear after at least 15 rounds. I have been using them for up shots and putts, and I've hit plenty of trees with them. Though I will admit I rarely hit a basket with anything more than a 20ft.....:wall:

way serious. anyone around here knows I bagged 2 purple atoms for tons of round since the time they were released (before you threw them) and just recently put a pair of ions back in the bag after handing my atoms off to a friend. The baseline plastic is not durable but I didn't use them as drivers either when I had discs like an ion in the bag which is nearly indestructible and been driving it for years now.

Serious, bro. Atom is a great baseline putting putter and if you don't mind cylcying them for driving keep a few freshies around or throw a anode/envy/proxy like my buddy does.. lol

well, discs are made for flying and not tree hitting that's for sure :D I used the atom as a putter for many rounds all winter and it held up very well. I even was able to pass the pair on to a friend this spring and he has been putting with them great. He drives the plasma and neutron anode though so the atoms are straight ;)

discs hit things during games

I don't think anyone is claiming that they don't hold up fine for putting.

I just think its funny people are complaining about this plastic when its exactly what we were wanting. A baseline like plastic that allows a disc to actually beat in, in less than a year. :shrug: I bet if you dig through the MVP main thread you will find a lot of people saying they with they could get an envy to beat into a flippy disc........

way serious. anyone around here knows I bagged 2 purple atoms for tons of round since the time they were released (before you threw them) and just recently put a pair of ions back in the bag after handing my atoms off to a friend. The baseline plastic is not durable but I didn't use them as drivers either when I had discs like an ion in the bag which is nearly indestructible and been driving it for years now.

Serious, bro. Atom is a great baseline putting putter and if you don't mind cylcying them for driving keep a few freshies around or throw a anode/envy/proxy like my buddy does.. lol

huh?

who's doubting you about the durability for putting?

I just think its funny people are complaining about this plastic when its exactly what we were wanting. A baseline like plastic that allows a disc to actually beat in, in less than a year. :shrug:

It's on the less durable side in terms of baseline plastic. I think it's a valid complaint but that doesn't mean it's not good for other things. There's going to be good and bad points to any type of plastic. Should we just fill 100 pages talking about how the grip gives us giant MVP boners?

That's a fair point. I guess the old saying is true..."You cant please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some of the people some of the time."

it's a good plastic and I would definitely switch to electron ions for putting without a doubt.

I've been driving the same Atoms on Rocky holes since they were released. They've some some fade and HSS, but are still pretty fantastic. I can't imagine them ever leaving especially as putting putters too.

soft? How far are you throwing?

Mine didn't start until I smashed some trees. The gouges from hitting rocks didn't seem to change much.

Regular Electron. I'd say I can put the Atom out to 250-275. Not a rocket arm, but I'm not babying them. It's the most-thrown disc in my bag, trees or not. I have no problem with cycling them when the time comes.

Why would anyone use a base plastic putter for driving anyway? Of course they are going to get beat to crap. Buy something else if you are targeting trees.

I'd love a premium Atom, but this stuff isn't that fragile. Mine comes out 25 times a round, probably (if not more), and I've been using the same thrower since release day. It looks like hell but flies great.

If you want your driving and upshot putter to be sparkling, get something different. If you don't mind a little personality, then Electron is fine.

ranger, are you that confused.........? we all seem to agree except you have some that are "flippier"

weird'

Unless they shatter into little bits I don't care how beat up looking mine get. If they start to fly like a paper plate then I'll be bummed out.

Why would anyone use a base plastic putter for driving anyway? Of course they are going to get beat to crap. Buy something else if you are targeting trees.

Yep, I thought I could drive with mine and smack some trees, I've seen it turn flippy in a few rounds. I may have to try out a Proxy. The warped up mess just doesn't inspire confidence for me. DX is more durable.

ranger, are you that confused.........? we all seem to agree except you have some that are "flippier"

weird'

nah dog

I've already explained that sometimes I use disc golf terms incorrectly. it's my cross to bear in life.

I have one that's starting to turn and it happened much faster than I expected. if that's an outrageous statement, then maybe I have defective disc.

I have one that's starting to turn and it happened much faster than I expected. if that's an outrageous statement, then maybe I have defective disc.

The same thing happened when someone mentioned they expected more turn from the Theory. Don't sweat it.

I think the durability talk is a result of Neutron and Proton being practically indestructible. For Electron to be as fragile as it is, I think they made concessions for grip over durability. For it to feel like a Pro-level quality, mine have seasoned like R-Pro.

Last edited:
Got my first Atoms in today (soft purple). Man, this is some nice feeling plastic. Can't wait to get out and give these some time (not looking to drive/approach with them, just for putting). I pretty much went back and forth between Magics and Anodes for a while, but couldn't really jive with either one. I liked the feel of the Magic (although it seems near impossible to find RFF magics now, which is the one I liked the most out of the blends I tried), but the flight of the Anode (soft proton). I'm hoping this gives me the best of both worlds.

On a side note, these tend to really attract dog hair, my Black Lab's hair was all over it after just a few minutes of fondling it in the house.

I like driving the Atom and using it for upshots.
I beat up a soft pink one that now hyzerflips and turns beautifully at 300'ish.
Love the dead straight and stick for upshots.

Latest posts