• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

LOL, Northern California's mostly okay, it's the southern half of the state that's really being hit by the drought. In fact, where I live, we're actually slightly ahead of normal rainfall for the season.

^^Basically lives in Oregon, obviously. :p

Well I did pick up a soft Atom and a Med Pure yesterday. Soft Atom is a bit more stable than the firm. Very nice thrower and upshot. Im not used to putting soft putters so I'm not clicking yet. Seems to stick on landing better. Well see.

I've been using the soft Atoms for putting and the regular for throwing. The atom is the most comfortable disc I've ever putted with and I love how well it grabs chains. I have a tendency to miss right, and I have never had a putter that will grab the right side of the chains and suck back into the basket like the atom will.

As for throwing them, it only takes me about 3 weeks to beat one into being really understable. I throw the atom a lot because while I like the flight of the proxy I really don't like the regular neutron plastic. Hopefully there will be a soft proxy soon.

I've been using the soft Atoms for putting and the regular for throwing. The atom is the most comfortable disc I've ever putted with and I love how well it grabs chains. I have a tendency to miss right, and I have never had a putter that will grab the right side of the chains and suck back into the basket like the atom will.

As for throwing them, it only takes me about 3 weeks to beat one into being really understable. I throw the atom a lot because while I like the flight of the proxy I really don't like the regular neutron plastic. Hopefully there will be a soft proxy soon.

three weeks is scary

I could see that as a driving putter but not putting duties. Had a pair around since the winter and they are not that beat up yet.

I assumed it was from driving. They seem to hold up fine with just putting. Need firm electron ASAP.

i love were my atom is for approaches. it'll only see duty 130 and in wide open. I'm scared for it to change I'm resistant to it!

I got a few softs when they were first released and they have held up fine for putting duties. The overmolds are nicked up but there is no flightplate warping and no difference in flight inside the circle.

The firms that I drive with though take about a half a dozen tree hits to get clover leafed. I like them understable as a compliment to the envy/proxy, but they get there too quickly to replace the proxy as a straight driver.

LOL, Northern California's mostly okay, it's the southern half of the state that's really being hit by the drought. In fact, where I live, we're actually slightly ahead of normal rainfall for the season.

The stupidity displayed by this comment is mind blowing. First forward fade and now this?

Read about the last ten pages and didn't get the info I was looking for: currently putting with soft proton anodes, really not doin much for me this year, getting to floppy in the increasing heat and thinking I need to change it up. Felt the atom for like 5 seconds and should have taken my time and felt it up some more. I'm into big glide in my putters, so how does the atom PUTT in comparison to anode? More glide? Less? Less fade? Spin putters thoughts?

More speed, less glide. If you want glide get a more deep dish type putter. Atom is lean, mean and fast. Once speed/spin is gone it dumps and fades. Not a bunch of glide to keep it going.

This might have been covered before but is there anything like the Atom (feel, depth, flight wise) in the Axiom line up? Basically a more durable Atom?

I am not really a MVP/Axiom guy so I dont know what disc/molds to look at to try for a comparison.

@Discguy -the atom is the envy core so if you don't mind a bead that's also an option.

Ion/anode to me glide better than the envy/atom at lower speeds.

My atom now broken in is a floating machine. Regular electron plastic. Beating it in made all the difference, it didn't take much;)

true but ive had them since release and used the pair all winter long--at low speed it doesn't have the same glide just by design. You can loft an ion/anode up and watch it float with very little spin while even a seasoned atom needs some spin to "float" in a similar manner.

I've settled into an Envy/Proxy set up for that slot. Feel-wise, the Atom is right with them. But I feel like the Atom isn't quite close enough to either, flight-wise, to be a stand-in for either of them. It seems to sort of share characteristics of both of them. All three have a different finish to them.

Depends on how specific you are about flight lines you want.

Last edited:
Tinkered around with a regular Electron Atom yesterday for the first time.
After a few tree hits I had it flying around a -1 turn and 1 fade. Nice disc for a hyzer flip, turnover, big sweeping hyzers but I don't think it did anything for me that I couldn't achieve with my Scale/Envy/Serp lineup.

Bummer. I was hoping for a reason to bag this..lol.