• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

i love throwing the atom, especially in approaches 150 and in and max d putter lines in the field. They just zoom out there, and when they drop in for time they are sitting where my envy will skip. I wish I clicked within the circle as they feel great, but the proxy won. After a few seasons of messing with the putter slot. I'm settled on 2x proxies/f atom/n envy

I use the Atom strictly for putting, but did put in some field work with it on short approach recently. I also have a Proxy, and like it better for approach.

The Atom may stick the landing more than the Proxy because of the Electron plastic and softer rim. But it's faster flying, so I think it's a trade-off.

I'm still using a Neutron Anode for almost all approach shots though. I like it the best of the 3.

I have a neat Atom story.

I went on a date at Winthrop, and took the girl out disc golfing of course :D I let her try a few different discs....beat Ions, Atoms, Theory, 150g Crave....The Atoms were working best for her so I had her just throw the pair I brought.

She started out throwing about 10-15'. Not even exaggerating. It was a fun challenge for me though, trying to help someone improve from the ground up.

By the end of the round she was throwing pretty consistently straight, 60-80'. She even had three 100'+ throws, with the longest being dead straight out to 130-140'! That's quite an improvement in one round :) She went from everything noob hyzering to being able to make an Atom hold a slight anny to the ground. Shows you a little spin goes a long way even at that short of a range.

I've really come to enjoy throwing the Atom off the tee. The envy is my slightly OS workhorse, the Ions are lasers with a little fade at the end, but for a true dead straight to slight turnover drive or approach, the Atom is perfect. I threw my soft I'm beating in on a few short safari holes we made up, and its got some tremendous glide and accuracy.

I really like how they putt too, but I've given up on trying to replace my Ions for that role. For the past few years I've flirted with other putting putters, and always end up putting with that same white proton soft Ion.

I plan to eventually have an Atom cycle going. Will be interesting when they release an out of the box understable putter mold, seeing how it competes with a worn Atom.

I find it very easy to get long standstill throws with the atom. Very easy to throw.

Glad to see this disc has 60+ pages on it. I have a question. Every atom i have seen has a deformed top, like bacon. Is this because of the overmold not allowing the inner to contract and expand? I have seen 10 atoms and all of them are like this after a very short time of use. Thanks guys

Ive got two pink firms ATM. One has been in the bag since they were released, it has a small side boob but definitely doesn't look like bacon. The other ive only had for two weeks but used it for 2 rounds at a gravel infested pitch and putt. Other than a few small nicks in the rim it looks just like its supposed too.

Glad to see this disc has 60+ pages on it. I have a question. Every atom i have seen has a deformed top, like bacon. Is this because of the overmold not allowing the inner to contract and expand? I have seen 10 atoms and all of them are like this after a very short time of use. Thanks guys

All baseline discs are susceptible to flight plate deformities from hard impacts, the Atom being no exception.

So far mine has been holding up as well as I'd expect the better baseline plastics to. e.g. pro aviars, wizards etc. Seems tougher than Pro D or DX. But if you throw one off the tee right into a tree, you can get some bumps in the flight plate.

Yea mine haven't seen many trees except on long putts. Been using almost exclusively the proxy/envy for approaches and tee shots the last couple weeks. I was in a putt funk in the first round at BGams and switched from the soft to the firm, and haven't looked back. The soft might have had some slight bacon action, and had gotten flippy in a short period of time. I accidently threw it over a road and deep into the woods a couple weeks ago, and didn't even bother to go look for it.

All baseline discs are susceptible to flight plate deformities from hard impacts, the Atom being no exception.

So far mine has been holding up as well as I'd expect the better baseline plastics to. e.g. pro aviars, wizards etc. Seems tougher than Pro D or DX. But if you throw one off the tee right into a tree, you can get some bumps in the flight plate.

I would disagree that electron is tougher than dx but I only have two atoms. limited sample size.

I would disagree that electron is tougher than dx but I only have two atoms. limited sample size.

Out of two mediums and one soft, I would agree. My Soft bubbled on the first tree hit, and I'm not a power thrower. The only other plastic I've ever had do that is R-Pro. The overmold kept its shape which is all that really matters, but even it bent pretty quickly from throwing rounds in the trees. Much faster than any of my Grid Aviars and Wizards.

yeah electron is fragile. MVP will fix it too I imagine like most things they do and get feedback on. Something tells me that's why we haven't seen other molds yet. Protos and Atom were a "test" really for this stuff. Innova has made "DX" for what, 20+ years?

I'm okay waiting for tougher electron ions

I can make it until the end of May at least...

I hope "firmer with better impact resistance" is feedback they're listening to/getting.

DX isn't what it used to be either.

seems like there is or can still be some "good" DX out there but at the price point MVP needs to make it good all the time. I hear what you are saying for sure tbird and hope they do as well!

I've found that the flight plates on the firms hold up much better than the softs. I have 3 firm and 2 soft that I only use for putting my back yard and the firms still look nice and flat but the softs have a definite rise and fall to the flight plate. I definitely prefer the firms, but I still need a proxy until they put out premium atoms because they aren't durable throwers.

I've found that the flight plates on the firms hold up much better than the softs. I have 3 firm and 2 soft that I only use for putting my back yard and the firms still look nice and flat but the softs have a definite rise and fall to the flight plate. I definitely prefer the firms, but I still need a proxy until they put out premium atoms because they aren't durable throwers.

The Proxy's a better thrower than the Atom, so why the need to replace your Proxy with a premium Atom?

Lost my 168 S Atom today I bagged since release :( that thing was a hyzer flip turnover machine with crazy D. I abused the hell out of it and the flight plate was like rolling sand dunes, wonky as could be and I LOVED IT. Still threw and felt great to me. Hopefully someone I know or someone nice finds it and returns it to me. Otherwise I'll have to start all over again

The Proxy's a better thrower than the Atom, so why the need to replace your Proxy with a premium Atom?

??????

I don't see how a proxy would be "better" than a premium atom.
It isn't a big deal but if they had them, it would be nicer to just have two putter molds. And I think it would be just a touch more stable than the proxy which might be nice.

??????

I don't see how a proxy would be "better" than a premium atom.
It isn't a big deal but if they had them, it would be nicer to just have two putter molds. And I think it would be just a touch more stable than the proxy which might be nice.

The Proxy is straighter and has better glide. It's also plenty stable, but without fade. It's slightly taller than the Atom.

If you haven't thrown one, you should.

The Proxy is straighter and has better glide. It's also plenty stable, but without fade. It's slightly taller than the Atom.

If you haven't thrown one, you should.

I have thrown both extensively. But I don't think one can truly compare them until MVP puts out an Electron Proxy or a premium atom (Plasma plz). You don't think the Atom is straight? And the glide is better on the premium plastic Proxy? Not in my experience, they're basically equivalent but I'd give the nod to the Electron Atom.

Basically, I think your comparison is totally unfounded.