• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Daggers to Atoms seems like a huge jump for in the circle putting, I can't think of much that's slower, glidier, and deeper than a Dagger, or faster and shallower than an Atom. Out of curiosity, do you change your putting styles when switching between the two?
I know, it sounds crazy. I've been using the Atom for approaches and long putts and the distance where I want to throw it has gotten shorter and shorter. Maybe because it's been windy lately. Anyway, I've been pretty much a push putter but my results have been so bad lately I'm trying to shake things up.

So I've tossed the Proton Atom around for two rounds. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Electron Atom to compare it to.

From what I remember of the Electron, this premium version seems a bit faster, but with a smidge of glide taken away. (I'm not even sure if that makes sense, it just doesn't seem as floaty) It'll hold a steep hyzer, but if the hyzer is more shallow, it wants to flip a bit when thrown at longer distances (up to 200). Annys will hold to the ground, which is similar to the Proxy.

Speaking of the Proxy, I've been saying that the Atom and Proxy were basically the same disc, but in different plastics. So I threw the P Atom against a Plasma Proxy for several tosses. There honestly aren't many noticeable differences. The Proxy had a bit more glide, but perhaps that can be attributed to the plastic. (I don't have a Proton Proxy to compare) Stability was very similar, and they both landed side by side on most throws.

I have to say that this was a surprise release from MVP. I would have thought they'd go with the Electron Anode, and maybe even forgo this mold due to it's similarities with the Proxy. It's definitely a solid offering though, and Atom throwers will love having their favorite putter in a premium option.

Proton Atoms are out this Friday, correct? Anyone else get any early and what are the colors/look? Are they still flat like the electrons?

I hope to snag a couple

Proton Atoms are out this Friday, correct? Anyone else get any early and what are the colors/look? Are they still flat like the electrons?

I hope to snag a couple

The one I got is flat. I took pics with my phone, but they won't upload for some reason. The stamp (and the new Matrix is the same way) on the reverse side is like a color shifting silver and black, and looks really cool.

I'll try and use a different camera later to upload, and a Atom vs Proxy pic.

I hope to snag a couple

Yes, they come out this Friday, and yes, the Proton Atoms look just slightly more domey than the Electron versions. Electron is a touch flatter...small difference, but it is there. The colors we got here are mostly grays, blues, muted colors, plus some blanks (no stamp).

Also as a side-note, Infinite Discs will have a limited edition stamped Proton Atom only a few days later...for fans and collectors...

I love my Proton Proxy. I wish we would get a regular release of those. I'm always worried about losing my watermelon in dangerous situations, but usually it's the disc I want to throw. Maybe I'll try a P Atom as a substitute.

Infinite Discs now has a limited number ofMVP Proton Atoms with the "Atom Bomb" stamp. Only 150 made.
Note: The Atom Bomb naturally comes with nuclear "fallout" and the noses of some bombs have different levels of fallout, so look close at the disc photos :)

tumblr_okrfgtVN5V1un39vno1_540.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Infinite Discs now has a limited number of MVP Proton Atoms with the "Atom Bomb" stamp. Only 150 made.
Note: The Atom Bomb naturally comes with nuclear "fallout" and the noses of some bombs have different levels of fallout, so look close at the disc photos :)

tumblr_okrfgtVN5V1un39vno1_540.jpg

What's with the quality control at MVP? My slave for chains insanity had multple drop outs. For a collector disc, I feel the stamp should have been perfect. Being my first VIP series disc, it was a complete let down. I don't know who to be more disappointed with MVP for poor stamping techniques or infinite discs for sending them out and doing nothing to correct the situation.

What's with the quality control at MVP? My slave for chains insanity had multple drop outs. For a collector disc, I feel the stamp should have been perfect. Being my first VIP series disc, it was a complete let down. I don't know who to be more disappointed with MVP for poor stamping techniques or infinite discs for sending them out and doing nothing to correct the situation.

This one, as far as I can tell, was done that way on purpose. Was the insanity one made specifically for infinate vip? Or was it a mvp stamp that infinate got a bunch of for it? If that latter my guess is they bought all of the dropout ones from mvp before they stamped factory second on them.

Edit: infinate vip is not what I thought it was (loot crate for discs). So...idk.

Is MVP actually doing the stamping on these?

As for any drop-outs on the Insanity, it was actually a rare thing. We shipped out nearly 400 of them and only had maybe dozen people mention any significant drop-outs. When we package them up and ship that many, we don't really have time to inspect each one for possible flaws-- we assume that what we got is top quality. I replaced a couple of the ones that were shown to me with more serious drop-outs. Obviously, with only that many discs in existence, there is a limit to what we can replace for a minor drop-out in the outer ring, or in a red squiggle.

As for the Atom Bomb, that was rushed to us by MVP, since they were trying to get it to us close to the release date. We did contact them to express our disappointment that the stamps had so many drop-outs on the nose of the bomb. MVP apologized very kindly and agreed that we'll work more closely to insure that any stamps are well within the tolerance levels for their stamping process. As a result, we sold those Atoms at regular price, and they sold out in less than 24 hours.

We're working on both sides to try and make sure those stamp issues don't keep coming up.

Thanks to the great MVP community for the enthusiasm and support!

The Protons feel indestructible . Can't wait to get a solid round in with them. I do think they aren't winter cold/wetness friendly (I haven't used them yet, but they feel solid/slick)

I washed em up a little bit to maybe get rid of that slickness, helped a little bit.

I'm sure in the summer or dry weather these will be $. Someday it'll be nice to see these in Neutron plastic

Atom is awesome

So I've tossed the Proton Atom around for two rounds. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Electron Atom to compare it to.

Speaking of the Proxy, I've been saying that the Atom and Proxy were basically the same disc, but in different plastics. So I threw the P Atom against a Plasma Proxy for several tosses. There honestly aren't many noticeable differences. The Proxy had a bit more glide, but perhaps that can be attributed to the plastic. (I don't have a Proton Proxy to compare) Stability was very similar, and they both landed side by side on most throws.

So is this pretty much the consensus on Proxy vs P Atom? My last Proxy took a bad bounce off a tree onto thin ice a couple days ago (it's frustrating to watch a disc land in a spot you could reach and then skid a couple hundred feet out into a bay btw :\:D) so I need a replacement. I putt with an Electron Atom, so if there are minimal differences I may opt for the P Atom over the Proxy. But I worry that the Atom won't have the easy straight/stable flight of the Proxy. I have an Envy beaten in to almost perfect straightness, but it requires more snap than the Proxy, so I'd like to avoid the Atom if it doesn't offer the same easy fadeless finish.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on Proxy vs Atom?

I haven't thrown a P Atom, just electron, but I can't imagine dropping the Proxy for the Atom. The Proxy is just such a magical disc.

As for any drop-outs on the Insanity, it was actually a rare thing. We shipped out nearly 400 of them and only had maybe dozen people mention any significant drop-outs. When we package them up and ship that many, we don't really have time to inspect each one for possible flaws-- we assume that what we got is top quality. I replaced a couple of the ones that were shown to me with more serious drop-outs. Obviously, with only that many discs in existence, there is a limit to what we can replace for a minor drop-out in the outer ring, or in a red squiggle.

As for the Atom Bomb, that was rushed to us by MVP, since they were trying to get it to us close to the release date. We did contact them to express our disappointment that the stamps had so many drop-outs on the nose of the bomb. MVP apologized very kindly and agreed that we'll work more closely to insure that any stamps are well within the tolerance levels for their stamping process. As a result, we sold those Atoms at regular price, and they sold out in less than 24 hours.

Todd, a few points:
1. It's kind of poor form to tell a disappointed customer that their issue is rare, or that you "didn't have time" to do quality control on the disc you shipped them.

2. It's equally poor form to assume that their issue was small, or dismiss it "a minor dropout in a squiggle"

I teach my employees to "Apologize, Empathize, Offer". Even if the issue isn't your fault, Apologize that the customer's expectations were not met. Show that you understand how let down they were, and offer a solution to make it right.

Your response has made me decide to wait for either of the retailers I usually do business with to restock their selection of Proxys, as opposed to giving Infinite a chance, even though you have a Plasma Proxy and an Atom I like. A response along the lines of "Hey Gdingy, I'm sorry the limited edition disc we sent you didn't meet your expectations. We did not intend to ship out any discs that didn't live up to our high standards, and I'm unhappy we failed you in this regard. Please PM me so I can notate your account and apply a credit of ($5, 10%, free shipping, whatever) to your next purchase." would have been enough to get my to try Infinite. Instead, I'll wait on my local retailer or Community to restock. I'll pay more through either one, but it's worth it for the great customer service I get from them.

Last edited:
lol, Infinite's gotta really be sweating this. :rolleyes:

Infinite sells a lot of "X-outs" at a discount that other retailers wouldn't even consider to be flawed. Look up some popular molds on Infinite, choose "X-out" version, and look at the pic of the actual disc(s). In most cases you can hardly spot the flaw...tiny missing ink or scratch on some part of the stamp.

lol, Infinite's gotta really be sweating this. :rolleyes:

Infinite sells a lot of "X-outs" at a discount that other retailers wouldn't even consider to be flawed. Look up some popular molds on Infinite, choose "X-out" version, and look at the pic of the actual disc(s). In most cases you can hardly spot the flaw...tiny missing ink or scratch on some part of the stamp.

word, I've never been disappointed with Infinite, has always had great customer service when I needed it. And I can totally understand what happened, the tip of the bomb had a little drop out on mine but, its a disc...a disc that is thrown hard at metal and trees. so.....i not concerned. :|;)