• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Gyro definitely does do something. But that doesn't necessarily mean better. I don't bag any because they don't do anything for me. I don't putt with enough spin to get much gyro action. Same goes for snapping drives. Everything acts more overstable and fades quicker because of my arm speed. Will be interested to try the Atom, though.

Gyro definitely does do something. But that doesn't necessarily mean better. I don't bag any because they don't do anything for me. I don't putt with enough spin to get much gyro action. Same goes for snapping drives. Everything acts more overstable and fades quicker because of my arm speed. Will be interested to try the Atom, though.

This whole GYRO discussion is interesting. If anything, I find less than I have problems getting them up to speed, and more that they accentuate my OAT. In that regard, I'm thinking of going back to the Axis to try and clean things up, because when I OAT a throw, good lord does the Axis wobble.

This whole GYRO discussion is interesting. If anything, I find less than I have problems getting them up to speed, and more that they accentuate my OAT. In that regard, I'm thinking of going back to the Axis to try and clean things up, because when I OAT a throw, good lord does the Axis wobble.

The first couple of runs of Ions were great for this, too. One of the few discs that I can actually say made me a much better disc golfer. I hope the Atom flies with that kind of neutrality or an electron Ion does.

The first couple of runs of Ions were great for this, too. One of the few discs that I can actually say made me a much better disc golfer. I hope the Atom flies with that kind of neutrality or an electron Ion does.

I go back and forth on this stuff in regards to bagging MVP all the time. For me, they generally take more effort, and a cleaner release, so logic would dictate that I should keep them in. But then I throw something Swedish, it bombs, and I go that route.

If I could throw the Axis well, though, I know I could throw most other things well. Good thing I have 3 in the garage right now...

except for the FR... those REALLY would have made you a better disc golfer super understable compared to the 2nd runs even.

envy vs atom prototype

20141211_211924.jpg

Last edited:
no proxy's here. sounds like they should be fairly similar though outside of plastic and colors. Really with the atom being baseline its going to get understable more so than any other MVP disc quicker I would think regardless of initial flight reviews. should be glidey reliable goodness from a putter like you get with a baseline pure or something I imagine. wish I still had a pure to compare it to actually.

also curious to see what the production runs actually come out like as these protos are not exactly the same.

Oh ok, so random stranger taping pennies to a disc and throwing it equates to science :doh:

Obviously you CAN argue it, because disc manufacturers figured out how to weight discs a long time ago and there is no measured standard that scientifically shows MVP discs against other comparable discs. And for me, Neutron plastic has zero glide (that's not to say their other plastics don't glide).

Funny, I've thrown Neutron Putters 420'. Not bad for having zero glide.

My beat 164 nuetron envy has an awesome amount of glide. For that matter, I get remarks a lot on how my n axis just seeems to glide forever.

Funny, I've thrown Neutron Putters 420'. Not bad for having zero glide.
Video or it didn't happen!

But seriously that shouldn't count since you can throw better than most everyone ;)

I still stand by the fact that my Neutron Volt falls out of the sky much like my Neutron Ion and my brother's N Anode. Maybe if I could throw 400' in the first place it might make a difference...

I can throw my putters about 270ish... :|

something about the ion and vector allow them to fly really far on a line and its not their speed that's for sure.....

Glide increases with spin IMO-- think of push putts vs spin putts and the exponential difference from player to player when power level and technique is considered for max D drive vs a putt..

Video or it didn't happen!

But seriously that shouldn't count since you can throw better than most everyone ;)

I still stand by the fact that my Neutron Volt falls out of the sky much like my Neutron Ion and my brother's N Anode. Maybe if I could throw 400' in the first place it might make a difference...

I can throw my putters about 270ish... :|

I haven't spent a ton of time with Volts, but they seemed to have a crazy amount of glide for me.

Well it depends on the volt, I think. I had a early N volt that had crazy glide, or gyro, or whatever you want to call it(forward fade). Later on, I had an eclipse P volt and it had a serious dumpy finish.

I feel like there's just a threshold in the spin you have to generate to see whether 'gyro' does anything or not.

When I get the dead stick type flight from say the Axis, it's not a lack of disc speed, it's because I miss the leverage into the spin.

Well honestly I have a white 171g Neutron Volt that is pretty overstable and dumpy. From what I understand earlier runs were not as overstable...? So there's that. I was honestly kind of bummed when I got that Volt because everyone says how far they go/glide, but mine does not. I even tried beating it up to speed along the process, but Neutron plastic is tough as nails.

Anyway... that's just my experience with Neutron plastic in a couple different molds. Soft Proton Ion glides much better than my Neutron. I wish it was still summer so I could go out and play!

something about the ion and vector allow them to fly really far on a line and its not their speed that's for sure.....

Glide increases with spin IMO-- think of push putts vs spin putts and the exponential difference from player to player when power level and technique is considered for max D drive vs a putt..

I am not a physicist, nor an expert, but from the variety of information I've read, I don't think it's the spin that adds distance for a spin putt versus a push putt. It's the increased velocity from the snapping motion of the wrist. A push putt just simply can't generate that much velocity, the mechanics aren't there for that type of acceleration.

On the gyro side of things, I can't remember where I read it now, maybe I dreamt it, I'm sleep deprived, but I seem to remember someone doing some actual research on the speed vs spin of long distance throws. The results showed that people who throw the farthest, with the fastest speed, actually have less spin on their discs than when throwing a slower/shorter shot. I think what spin does more than anything else is stabilize a disc better, making it hold its natural or intended flight path longer and cleaner.

Of course, I tried to do an internet search just now on disc velocity and spin, and can't find any information on it whatsoever. Probably a dream then. Whatever.

hashtagthrowgyro!

I got a few of each.

I think I'm going to choose one of them to intentionally beat up for science / to have a flippy MVP putter.

I got a few of each.

I think I'm going to choose one of them to intentionally beat up for science / to have a flippy MVP putter.

Nice. Definitely looking forward to these. Variety of colors or just the gray ones?

Hoping they're closer than we think if you have them already.

Latest posts