• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I am not a physicist, nor an expert, but from the variety of information I've read, I don't think it's the spin that adds distance for a spin putt versus a push putt. It's the increased velocity from the snapping motion of the wrist. A push putt just simply can't generate that much velocity, the mechanics aren't there for that type of acceleration.

On the gyro side of things, I can't remember where I read it now, maybe I dreamt it, I'm sleep deprived, but I seem to remember someone doing some actual research on the speed vs spin of long distance throws. The results showed that people who throw the farthest, with the fastest speed, actually have less spin on their discs than when throwing a slower/shorter shot. I think what spin does more than anything else is stabilize a disc better, making it hold its natural or intended flight path longer and cleaner.

Of course, I tried to do an internet search just now on disc velocity and spin, and can't find any information on it whatsoever. Probably a dream then. Whatever.

hashtagthrowgyro!
it was Hyzerunibomber in the Technique forum

mvp could make gateway disappear with a electron ion, yet we get the random atom.

dear overmold brothers: please do something that appeals to your diehard fanbase, and no the proton stamp axis does not count. i mean **** sakes.

Either way base plastic, an understable mid and a straight envy core putter are pretty much the three most requested things from MVP fans.

Either way base plastic, an understable mid and a straight envy core putter are pretty much the three most requested things from MVP fans.

And we got them all in one year. Maybe next year will have the true DD on the horizon. Though personally I would prefer more in the Volt class.

Putted with these on my practice basket a bit tonight. I like how they fly. They remind me of the Anode some, real straight with nice glide and a forward flying drop. Didn't seem like they took much effort to get to the chains and they grabbed very well.

Going out later this week to putt with them against my 165 putting Envy and a Proxy. Also gotta see how they fly off the tee, didn't have a chance to drive with them tonight.

any risk that the atom could replace the envy as your putter?

It could only for the fact that I just switched to the envy from wizards. I was a base plastic or die guy for putting putters. But, the Envy just felt right in my hand, and with soft neutron, was satisfied for putting. Now that the Atom is coming, I see it for putting duties and the Envy for shorter approaches and driving. Only time will tell.

Anyone who has one of these (proto or legit Atom) able to compare them profile-wise to a Pure? Here's my reasoning: The Proxy feels really close to a Pure, and the Atom seems to be almost like the base version of the Proxy. Ipso facto blah blah blah, just wondering if I can putt with some Pures until the Atom comes out to be familiar with the feel.

The Atom is shaped a little different than the Proxy. The bottom of the Proxy wing is slightly concave, while the bottom of the Atom's wing is flat and wider. The Proxy has a slightly blunter feel compared to the Atom.

The Atom surprised me today. Driving it full power, well past 300', I had no issues keeping it straight. I was expecting something a bit more understable.

Once I get my new power supply installed I'll edit together a short video with some drives and putts.

The Atom is shaped a little different than the Proxy. The bottom of the Proxy wing is slightly concave, while the bottom of the Atom's wing is flat and wider. The Proxy has a slightly blunter feel compared to the Atom.

The Atom surprised me today. Driving it full power, well past 300', I had no issues keeping it straight. I was expecting something a bit more understable.

Once I get my new power supply installed I'll edit together a short video with some drives and putts.

Interesting, thanks. If you have a chance to post a profile comparison of the two that would be awesome.

I think the brothers mentioned the stock run would be a touch more stable than the blue protos but makes sense with the baseline plastic I don't imagine it takes long to get understable as a actual driver...Found it:

There was a small retool, which was to adjust for the processing parameters to allow more optimal quality. However, in terms of the flight, the blue protos are slightly less stable compared to what the production Atom will be.

Anyone who has one of these (proto or legit Atom) able to compare them profile-wise to a Pure? Here's my reasoning: The Proxy feels really close to a Pure, and the Atom seems to be almost like the base version of the Proxy. Ipso facto blah blah blah, just wondering if I can putt with some Pures until the Atom comes out to be familiar with the feel.
I pretty much only used pures before ions--short answer... similar, yep'

Last edited:
Came home to a couple Atoms in the mail! Figuring the full release must be on the horizon if I'm getting them already. They feel like sex in my hand. Will report more later.

10805793_10205525161507640_241093567161612700_n.jpg

I don't speak Gateway, but Electron feels very much like Classic Blend/Zero Medium, and Electron Soft feels like Classic/Zero Soft. The flight plate on both has some give, while the overmold seems pretty sturdy.

On the practice basket they fly similarly to the Proxy, but I haven't tried anything terribly long yet.

I'll post some profile comparisons later.

Latest posts