• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Not really. read Mike's first sentence.
On a 400 foot downhill throw atom when new didn't turn at all and faded under basket.

Mine don't turn at all* when thrown flat and probably fade less than 5 feet. You can throw them down a 300 foot tunnel and they are literally dead straight. With a gentle hyzer they like to pop up to flat and then fade just a touch. With anny, they hold the line to the ground, no fade. In my opinion it is the straightest disc ever made. With enough HSS to hold a high amount of power.

*Brand new. They turn just a touch, maybe 5 feet after a month of wear.

Last edited:
Haven't thrown the proxy myself. But based on others comments I would say yes. It just doesn't want move left to right at all when thrown flat.

Neither does the Proxy...but the molds are evidently very close. I liked the Proxy from the first throw.

The forgotten 'NON' blue protos are the baseline Envys. These are what I'm looking forward to.

The forgotten 'NON' blue protos are the baseline Envys. These are what I'm looking forward to.

Nah. More low speed stability. Better than the Envy. They need to make these a production disc.

For me the Proxy shows a hair of high speed turn on a 360-400' throw. Barely there, I'd say like -.25 HSS. The Atom was similar in HSS, but I feel like when new the LSS kicked in a little sooner. They are very close, but I'd actually go with the Atom being a touch more OS at the beginning. Of course it will wear in faster and be less overstable than the Proxy once it beats in.

Bear in mind I haven't thrown them back to back yet, these are just my impressions from throwing the Atom vs last time I threw my bagged Proxy.

I think either one is a good compliment to the Envy.

I'm intentionally beating in a firm Atom to see how well an understable putter fits in my bag.

For me the Proxy shows a hair of high speed turn on a 360-400' throw. Barely there, I'd say like -.25 HSS. The Atom was similar in HSS, but I feel like when new the LSS kicked in a little sooner. They are very close, but I'd actually go with the Atom being a touch more OS at the beginning. Of course it will wear in faster and be less overstable than the Proxy once it beats in.

Bear in mind I haven't thrown them back to back yet, these are just my impressions from throwing the Atom vs last time I threw my bagged Proxy.

I think either one is a good compliment to the Envy.

I'm intentionally beating in a firm Atom to see how well an understable putter fits in my bag.

I tried the Proxy, but found it to fly too much like my beat Envy to really find a spot in my bag.

I have been beating up a firm Atom as well, and it's turned into a turnover disc already, it has very little finish left on it.

Nah. More low speed stability. Better than the Envy. They need to make these a production disc.

Seconded.

I have a blue proto atom in the bag and was wondering what the differences between the proto and production are?
My proto Atom has some turn out of the box, no where near Envy HSS status.

^ same one I'm in love with, 168g orange soft! Such a killer disc!

Maybe this is a terminology breakdown. My understanding is, if a disc flips up from a hyzer to flat, it has HS turn. It doesn't have to turn right from a hyzer. But anyway....I think we might be on the same page more or less.

Atom vs. Proxy, not crazy different new. But the Atom becomes something different pretty quick I think, where the (N) Proxy will stay the same for a while. My early feel of the comparison, with a bit of seasoning on the Atom, is that Atom:proxy=Eagle:Tbird. More subtle of course, putters and all.

In other words, in my last round I played a hole 351, moderate down hill, little tailwind. I threw both on it. To get that distance with a putter I have to go tall with the shot. So, the Proxy basically flew straight, dropped pretty much straight, but a little left of center. The Atom worked right some, then as it stalled some faded out and back to center if not just past center, and it got that early right movement even though I really got more air under it that I wanted. (I should also say that, in the round before this one at the same course, the Atom got it's first taste of high vleocity tree bark, warped some, and probably wasn't tuned back completely the same.)

I like both, and I'm thinking that, depending on how US the Atom beats in, it's not impossible that some disc-specializer types could wind up bagging all three, including the Envy.

^which is cool, seeing as how you're throwing them, like, an order of magnitude farther than me.

RE. the lifting vids...how much freakin muscle mass have you put on? You're a monster now.