• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

I believe a short shot is where a mold isn't entirely filled with plastic when molding.

Again it's very minor, but the rim on my light blue core/orange rim looks like the core either barely didn't fill or cooled on a less than flat surface. This is the one I'm planning to throw anyway so they'll blend in with the inevitable dings. The Tar Heel white core/light blue rim and blue core/red rim are probably getting put up since I have two more in very visible colors to throw on their way.

I have seen a couple of my discs, where the overmold just barely didn't bond completely, leaving a slight gap, or bubble under the core. It's more visible in Proton, but I've never noticed it in Neutron.

As with any MVP manufactured disc, you need not worry about any separation of the core/overmold. But I'm sure you already know this. :)

I have seen a couple of my discs, where the overmold just barely didn't bond completely, leaving a slight gap, or bubble under the core. It's more visible in Proton, but I've never noticed it in Neutron.

As with any MVP manufactured disc, you need not worry about any separation of the core/overmold. But I'm sure you already know this. :)

I have no doubt they're well bonded. I haven't had a chance to get out to my dad's to cut the discs, but they're marked and ready. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy/tough it'll be to get the overmold away from the cores.

This pic isn't the short shot on my light blue/orange. It's the other issue with the rim not being straight. All three of mine are like this, but the blue/red has the most blemishes. I didn't know how to truly describe it, and I was actually able to get a decent pic of it.

e3389b2a-4972-4394-a93b-182c355e26bd_zpsb79a494b.jpg

I have no doubt they're well bonded. I haven't had a chance to get out to my dad's to cut the discs, but they're marked and ready. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy/tough it'll be to get the overmold away from the cores.

This pic isn't the short shot on my light blue/orange. It's the other issue with the rim not being straight. All three of mine are like this, but the blue/red has the most blemishes. I didn't know how to truly describe it, and I was actually able to get a decent pic of it.

e3389b2a-4972-4394-a93b-182c355e26bd_zpsb79a494b.jpg

aaaah. yeah, my tangents have a bit of weirdness along the bottom of the overmold as well.

I saw this on my envy as well, and noticed it on one of the photos Axiom has of a stack of envies. No biggie in my book, but I'm sure someone with a preconceived notion of MVP will use it to judge.

Most MVP discs I own have overmolds that look like that, its normal. That wont change the flight at all.

Also i notice air pockets in all my proton discs, only a thin strip is bonded, the rest is held tight.

All normal MVP molding characteristics.

I've seen that as well. No biggie.

Maybe it's prone to happen more with adding colors to the overmolds. ??

Got mine in the mail. Nice looking discs. But we all knew that. Not sure when I'll have the chance to throw them. I did decide to sell my purple/green rim.

Ions have had this forever. My soft neutrons I ordered from DD actually had bubbles in the top flight plate where it met the OM and clear imperfections much worse than what we are seeing here(but also were a test run so that was understandable.) It appears the envy OM flattens on the bottom and likely the cause vs a ION which has more solid/round outer nose. As long as the actual beaded area is not uneven like we saw with FR/2nd run IONs having high on one side but lower on the other or different from run to run etc. Im not sure there is much cause for concern at all as its a flush point of the OM where the imperfections are showing not like a chunk missing from the whole side or something.

I was really pissed about the soft neutron Ions from DD but they fly amazing and only noticed b/c I was being an inspection Nazi and EXPECT top notch quality from this company.

Tbird- I am more curious to see a picture of the "short-shot" as that shouldn't be making it into production for sure!

Aim, as I said in my post, it's really minor. I tried to get a decent picture, but I couldn't. There are two places on the bottom of the rim that have blemishes. It could be a short shot. It could be that it cooled on a less that flat surface. Once it gets a little scuffed, I probably won't be able to find the spots again.

My Eclipse Ion has spots between the core and the rim where it's not 100% bonded to the core. That doesn't bother me, but the image I posted does a little because it's my first MVP product I've bought that's like that (looked closely at every MVP disc in my possession - 7 - and didn't see the same thing on any of them). Not only that, but all 3 of the Envies I got are like that. For a company trying to make their name for getting as close to total consistency as possible, this is something that I believe should be addressed. As with any product, presentation is number one.

The discs are absolutely beautiful (and I can't wait to get some time to throw them) so don't take this like I'm nit-picking because I'm a hater. I'm just a disc golf nerd who was surprised to see that when I looked closer at them and stupidly decided to say something about it. I didn't do it to start a flame war. I did it because it was part of my (honest) initial impression of the product I received.

MVP is the greatest. Their products are nothing short of absolute perfection, and these Envies are no exception. That better guys?

Last edited:
Don't worry about it Tbird. Now get out there and throw some plastic, and tell us how they fly.

:D

^nice work! I took a couple pics of ions which have similar marks on the bottom of OM as your envy's appear to. My tangents also have similar markings and am curious to go check out the stock at GGGT to see if the issue is more exaggerated or similar to what I have here with my MVP. good observation for sure and don't see anything like this in the drivers so wonder if its basically like over-mold "flashing" due to the noses.

^nice work! I took a couple pics of ions which have similar marks on the bottom of OM as your envy's appear to. My tangents also have similar markings and am curious to go check out the stock at GGGT to see if the issue is more exaggerated or similar to what I have here with my MVP. good observation for sure and don't see anything like this in the drivers so wonder if its basically like over-mold "flashing" due to the noses.

I thought it might have been caused by the colored overmolds and possibly the new core. Guess not.