• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams suspension reduced

I mean there is a reason why people speed everyday. Mainly they know they aren't going to prison for it.

No. They speed for the same reason people cheat. Because they can get away with it. There are too few cops to pull over ALL the speeders (because that would just be impractical) so the risk is worth the reward. As soon as a cop shows up the brake lights come on...Same thing happens with the cheaters.

I thought people sped to get to the donut shop before they ran out?

People speed because they won't get caught comes at it from the wrong angle. People speed cause they're in a hurry, or because they aren't paying attention, or they're fighting with their spouse.

Cheating here is the same. They don't think about the consequence, they think about the out come, or they don't think at all cause they're mad. Rarely do people think, okay, I shouldn't do this cause the consequences are bad.

Ahhh, but they know what it will cost...and I'm pretty sure you can be put in jail for excessive speeding

Do you know exactly what every speeding ticket will cost based on how fast you were going?

Is there a specific speeding violation matrix that you can reference?

Doesn't Law Enforcement have flexibility in their punishment/s for speeding?

I've had friends get a ticket for well over a hundred dollars for going 7 over.

I've gotten a warning for going 13 over.

Wouldn't publishing some sort of matrix help deter people from violating rules in the first place?

Or are we just trying to be like the nfl?

On a side note does anybody know if pros are allowed to gamble on tournaments?

Professional Disc Golf, in its current format, is basically gambling.

Player A is betting a certain amount of money (entry fee) that they will beat other players at this test of skill.

Player A is betting a certain amount of money (entry fee) that they will beat other players at this test of skill.

I don't think ya know what ya think ya know, ya know?

Do you know exactly what every speeding ticket will cost based on how fast you were going?

Is there a specific speeding violation matrix that you can reference?

Doesn't Law Enforcement have flexibility in their punishment/s for speeding?

I've had friends get a ticket for well over a hundred dollars for going 7 over.

I've gotten a warning for going 13 over.

After 1 google try (and I encourage you to try as well) i found this for the county I live in
https://www.dupageco.org/CourtClerk/3208/
....basically if I want to save 20$ I shouldn't go more than 20 over

As for your buddy getting a ticket and you getting a warning.....sounds like somebody didn't enforce the law when they should have which is an entirely different issue imo.

Player A imo is betting his money because we don't have enough interest or sponsorship money (aside from a handful of tournaments) for player A or anybody else to show up for in the first place

Fwiw I was referring to the pdga discouraging gambling in the same way that MLB does. Tanking on purpose or other shenanigans to affect the outcome of a tournament(Yes I know it's farfetched but I was just curious)

To me not making that available, at the very least to the active professionals, leaves the organization open to a very bad situation should the sport ever reach a larger audience. Right now only 1% of disc golfers know what Brad did...but why not take care of that pretty minor stuff before it might become an issue an again when the sport is larger?

The thing I always counter with this is the rules are available. I can't stress enough that we quote the rule book when we are discussing incidents.

I could see where we should release the maximum penalty. We hear that all the time in court - "you are guilty of blank, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. You get 6 months probation."

I think that would at least be fair and then you never hear the "well they don't like me they came down too hard on me" or "they were trying to make an example of so and so"

The thing I always counter with this is the rules are available. I can't stress enough that we quote the rule book when we are discussing incidents.

I could see where we should release the maximum penalty. We hear that all the time in court - "you are guilty of blank, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. You get 6 months probation."

I think that would at least be fair and then you never hear the "well they don't like me they came down too hard on me" or "they were trying to make an example of so and so"

What's not in the rule book is whether a public infraction can get you suspended from the pdga. I would like to see official clarification on this subject as I am not sure it exists and is directly relevant to mcbeths request, to "understand what he can and can't do".

After 1 google try (and I encourage you to try as well) i found this for the county I live in
https://www.dupageco.org/CourtClerk/3208/
....basically if I want to save 20$ I shouldn't go more than 20 over

As for your buddy getting a ticket and you getting a warning.....sounds like somebody didn't enforce the law when they should have which is an entirely different issue imo.

Police use discretion all the time. It's been that way since the police first came along. If it's illegal then darn it, someone needs to sue!

Player A imo is betting his money because we don't have enough interest or sponsorship money (aside from a handful of tournaments) for player A or anybody else to show up for in the first place

Fwiw I was referring to the pdga discouraging gambling in the same way that MLB does. Tanking on purpose or other shenanigans to affect the outcome of a tournament(Yes I know it's farfetched but I was just curious)

Players already do this. That's why the PDGA introduced 888. Of course they're not doing for money, they're doing it for ratings, cheap buggers.

What's not in the rule book is whether a public infraction can get you suspended from the pdga. I would like to see official clarification on this subject as I am not sure it exists and is directly relevant to mcbeths request, to "understand what he can and can't do".

Comp Manual 3.3A

"The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior during events, as well as appropriate comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA."

Yes, that's not directly a do this get this. But it is mentioned.

Players already do this. That's why the PDGA introduced 888. Of course they're not doing for money, they're doing it for ratings, cheap buggers.

Also, the 888 process was created because the discipline committee was getting flooded with "john took a 34 on hole 9, it was annoying to have to deal with it"

Comp Manual 3.3A

"The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior during events, as well as appropriate comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA."

Yes, that's not directly a do this get this. But it is mentioned.

There's no limit or no clarity on that statement. It does not limit behavior nor does it give guidance when conduct off the course can become a disciplinary event.

There's no limit or no clarity on that statement. It does not limit behavior nor does it give guidance when conduct off the course can become a disciplinary event.

There's never been a scenario where off the course conduct lead to the discipline committee being involved in a case. Yes, there have been off the course scenarios where the PDGA made actions, but not the DC. And that's all I can speak about.

This in regards to clarity. Publish it with the addition that it is flexible given circumstances as decided by the board. Should at least be easily attainable on the PDGA website.

You have a large majority of the comments here thinking its a good idea. That should tell you something.

But that's what the rule book is. It lays out what you can and can't do. Beyond that it's the law. When I ran the DC all the infractions but one were in the rule book. The one that wasn't, a player shot another player with a high power air gun. I don't think that is covered in the rule book.

Paul was playing politics. Quite well thank you. But it isn't hard. Don't break the rules, don't break the law. BW broke the rules. More than once. He drank, he abused equipment and he took a chunk out of another player during a round. Other players saw it and reported it. He did it on probation. So they reinstated the old punishment and added on the new. It's just math.

There's never been a scenario where off the course conduct lead to the discipline committee being involved in a case. Yes, there have been off the course scenarios where the PDGA made actions, but not the DC. And that's all I can speak about.

I don't know whether it is the DC or just the "PDGA" but there have been people that were suspended from the PDGA for off-course infractions. There have been people that have committed off the course infractions that have not been suspended by the PDGA. The rulebook does not make it clear when the PDGA will suspend people based on their off-course actions.

I appreciate your responses but I think you can see that for the people without "inside knowledge" of the DC, this vagueness is confusing. Even worse, for people whose livelihoods depend on whether they can play tournaments, they need to be able to understand what they can and can't do off the course.