• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cali rules

# 1 Rule to Cali Rules is... Don't call it Cali.
People in Cali don't call it Cali... they call it the Odd-Man.

I've heard Hans and other crap too... but, just call it the Odd-Man. That's what they are, the odd person who didn't get a team mate because there was an odd number of people.
DSCJNKY

I have to agree. I live in "Cali" but I've only heard this called odd man.

We play you can take a second shot on any one of your attempts per hole. If you take two drives, then you only get one shot from each following lie. You can save your second shot for your putt...doesn't matter how close.
At some minis, you can pay double and basically be your own partner...two shots from each lie.

I've heard Hans and other crap too... but, just call it the Odd-Man. That's what they are, the odd person who didn't get a team mate because there was an odd number of people.
DSCJNKY

Might be a little to late to change it at this point. People...especially disc golfers...are a little funny about their traditions.

+1

Also, we have 2 cali rules here, depending on what course we're playing, and what level player is odd one out.

1.) 1 extra shot per hole, any shot you choose. Cali aces count toward ace pool.

2.) 1 extra shot per lie, just as if you were your own doubles partner. Must pay double, cali aces count for ace pool.

Generally, option 1 is used, but sometimes option 2 is given for a lower level player on a tougher course.

I think these a rules are quite fair. I don't agree with someone having to pay double if they only get one extra shot per hole. and an ace is an ace, cali or not. The odds of getting an ace, even are a cali shot, is just about the same as getting one on your first shot.

Having said this I always dread being the cali during dubs rounds.

Might be a little to late to change it at this point. People...especially disc golfers...are a little funny about their traditions.

Like circling penalties as opposed to birdies... but, that's another thread.
DSCJNKY

DSCJNKY

Yes! it's called odd man. don't call it cali.

DSCJNKY
Not necessarily. We call the lone-wolf "Sven".

If a football player can change his last name to a number, you can change yours to Sven :D

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.

Ummm.....was that link a joke too?

A couple of buddies took off from Corvallis for a disc golf journey all across California.

I don't hate them, but I might stab a voodoo doll that looks like them.

When you take the extra shot, is it a doubles shot or is it a mulligan? It's had been my understanding that if you chose to take a 2nd shot, you had to play from where that lie. But I played a 4 man "odd-man" round today since there were only four of us for doubles, and they said you could pick which lie you wanted. It seems more fair being able to pick which shot.

The default for Cali is like doubles where you can choose either shot. But if you're playing in a Mulligan event as in Minnesota or some Cali leagues where everyone is playing Cali, it could go either way depending on league rules.