• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Still loving my 175 Z that I've had about 2 years for slow turns to the right and hyzer flips that go straight and don't fade. I can throw it pretty low like a buzzz and it flys well and I can throw it higher like a putter and it flys about the same line but flys even longer. Really predictable disc. I need to try tweaking the nose angle with this one...

Snagged a 177g Cryztal Comet from PIAS over the weekend...and boy am I sorry. I will stick with my Glow's and Midnights. Much more consistent flight. The Cryztal is just too gummy. Anybody want to trade with me?!

I always have at least 3 Comets in my bag. They are perfect for the tight technical courses here in Michigan. Once theyre beaten in, they cant do any shot you need. I keep a drone in the bag for hard hyzers, and a Flying Squirrel for hard anhyzers, my comet does every other shot I need.

not sure if its been covered in the thread but looking for some info on older run comets, TP, Saturn, etc.

^^^ mostly just trying to fine out info on older more baseline type Comets.. dunno if they ever did Pro-D but i know some of those Saturns at least look the part.. looking for older uber flippy comet goodness and want to know what to look for

I don't really have info, but my partner at doubles last night had a Saturn. She was making some sweet putts with it :p

^^ yeah they are sweet for sure... i have some elite-x but wanting something maybe lil gritty dx-ish feeling.. dunno if the Saturns even feel that way or not but hoping there is something out there..

To my knowledge, Comets went from Tournament Pro to X. I do not recall seeing any Pro D Comets. I have seen the old Comic Sans stamp on X. You can beat an X Comet just as easy as you can an old Tournament Pro one. Thrashed X Comets will be cheaper than thrashed Tournament Pro Comets. Thrashed X Comets will be easier to find than thrashed Tournament Pro Comets.

^^^ mostly just trying to fine out info on older more baseline type Comets.. dunno if they ever did Pro-D but i know some of those Saturns at least look the part.. looking for older uber flippy comet goodness and want to know what to look for

Cryztal Comet! I got a max weight and out of the box it is flippier than my 163 X Comet. It should be more durable in the long run. Though X Comets are a dime a dozen and cheap.

I bought one at a garage sale for $5 this weekend. First throw was nice, only 240ish, but uphill and it was nice and straight off the hyzer flip I put on it.

Then my buddy told me this disc reveals flaws in your form. I threw it and it panned right straight into the ground.

Mental Game FTW!

You did, although it was pretty low key (they just announced it in their newsletter). They've been on shelves for about a week now.

I hate to sound like alot of people but these are alot flatter than the LE First run ones that I have and dont turn. They are stable at the end which in a comet i dont really want. Plastic feels good but flight is less than desirable

I bought one at a garage sale for $5 this weekend. First throw was nice, only 240ish, but uphill and it was nice and straight off the hyzer flip I put on it.

Then my buddy told me this disc reveals flaws in your form. I threw it and it panned right straight into the ground.

Mental Game FTW!

:hfive:

Keep with it man. This is one disc that you will grow to love. :D

I hate to sound like alot of people but these are alot flatter than the LE First run ones that I have and dont turn. They are stable at the end which in a comet i dont really want. Plastic feels good but flight is less than desirable

Mine (a little flat compared to an X) has some turn, but it does have a harder finish than you would expect out of a Comet. I'm kinda digging that though as a complement to my X. That's just my opinion though.

To my knowledge, Comets went from Tournament Pro to X. I do not recall seeing any Pro D Comets. I have seen the old Comic Sans stamp on X. You can beat an X Comet just as easy as you can an old Tournament Pro one. Thrashed X Comets will be cheaper than thrashed Tournament Pro Comets. Thrashed X Comets will be easier to find than thrashed Tournament Pro Comets.

yeah i have thrown ELite-X and actually still have some but lost my old beat up one about a month ago and threw a used old esp in its place for now till i can beat up another Elite-X. So is the TP plastic very similar to elite-x? I like the Elite-X plastic but if i could find something a lil more gritty feeling i would be happy to pay a lil more for them

I bought 3 168g X Comets for field work a month ago and then I haven't thrown them on the course but a few times. Had so much otehr new stuff to try out, like my Flying Squirrel. The Squirrel flies similarly to the Comet for me tho, so I decided to pull out my Buzzzes, Leopards, Squirrel and Shark and my next round will be those Comets and try out my daughter's 2 Gateway Magics for putting instead of my Judges. Should be a fun experiment.

Despite my initial praise of the disc, I'm now more aligned with this viewpoint. It is flatter than my X and after a few rounds it seems like it has become even a little more flat. It lacks the glide of an x and does have a stronger fade at the end of it. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, actually at first I didn't think it was, but the fade kicks in unpredictably.

When I power the ESP down, the fade kicks in fairly early and makes the Comet want to find the ground (which is so weird for a Comet). And when I rip it for a turnover (on what feel to be similiar throws) it can sometimes fight out of the turn, sometimes just bites at the end, and sometimes just rides the turn to the ground. Granted, that could all be user error, but I'm not really digging the flight of the ESP. I think I'll just stick with X's.

yeah i have thrown ELite-X and actually still have some but lost my old beat up one about a month ago and threw a used old esp in its place for now till i can beat up another Elite-X. So is the TP plastic very similar to elite-x? I like the Elite-X plastic but if i could find something a lil more gritty feeling i would be happy to pay a lil more for them
Tourney Pro beats in a lot quicker than X, but it's grippy greatness. IMO it had the best grip on any plastic ever. I really, really dig TP Comets, but the flight isn't really different from an X Comet with a good dome. TP was the shrinkiest plastic ever so the diameter is a bit smaller and they always, ALWAYS had dome. There is no such thing as a flat TP Comet. Like all old plastic, it breaks. They like to split in two. I just got to the point where I just replaced all of mine so I didn't have to worry about it.

Latest posts