• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR's Discraft Pipe Dreams

What would you like to see new from Discraft in '09?

• >1.7 driver

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • < 1.6 driver

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • mid-range

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • putter

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • models in different plastics

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • bring back an old model

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • more 150 class

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • glow discs

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
Frank_Delicious said:
dgdave said:
BLURR said:
ESP Wildcats
ESP Xtremes
Finally!! Someone gets it!

really how many runs of extremes do you need? They last for years. I could buy 5 and be set for life.

At least one run of ESPs. Even a limited run. I don't think the 10 or 11 Zs I have are enough. :roll:

BLURR said:
Closest thing I can think of would be a domey Z-Force.

I push my destroyers prolly 30 ft further.. more of any S line.. where the force isnt

JKP said:
BLURR said:
Closest thing I can think of would be a domey Z-Force.

I push my destroyers prolly 30 ft further.. more of any S line.. where the force isnt

Actually, you would want a FLAT ESP Force to fly somewhat like a Destroyer. They do not go as far, but they are more predictable and the distance difference is not dramatic. Domeys are WAY overstable, the flats are more like a typical star Destroyer.

A list of discs that are becoming discontinued:

Pro D Reaper
Pro D Venom
Pro D Wasp
Elite Z Cyclone
Elite Z Reaper
Elite Z Wildcat
Elite Z Cyclone Fly Dye
Elite Z Reaper Fly Dye
Elite Z Wildcat Fly Dye
ESP Wasp
ESP Pulse Fly Dye
Elite X Predator Fly Dye

FYI

BIF13 said:
A list of discs that are becoming discontinued:

Pro D Reaper
Pro D Venom
Pro D Wasp
Elite Z Cyclone
Elite Z Reaper
Elite Z Wildcat
Elite Z Cyclone Fly Dye
Elite Z Reaper Fly Dye
Elite Z Wildcat Fly Dye
ESP Wasp
ESP Pulse Fly Dye
Elite X Predator Fly Dye

FYI

Keeping the z wasp, thats good

JKP said:
...Keeping the z wasp, thats good...
But dropping ESP and D? That seems kind of stupid to me, a new blend of D plastic and they drop a workhorse mid? I guess they figure anybody that throws Discraft is going to throw the Buzzz anyway. Now they don't have much choice...

*edit for typo

ferretdance03 said:
JKP"Keeping the z wasp said:
But dropping ESP and D? That seems kind of stupid to me, a new blend of D plastic and they drop a workhorse mid? I guess they figure anybody that throws Discraft is going to throw the Buzzz anyway. Now they don't have much choice...

buzzz is my choice, but in a stronger wind i throw wasp?

<--- Wasp x 2 / Buzzz x 2 / Meteor --->

Most anything wacky gets a pro D Wasp tossed near it because by wacky I mean water, man-eating thickets, etc. Like them better than Whippets because they seem easier to get to do the bread and butter "save Eric's aft" shots. Though a Whippet will do some craaaazy cool stuff if you use it just right.

If pro D goes, guess it will be back to "toss-n-pray" Whippets.
Guess maybe it is time to stock up. Darnit.
Getting really fond of the Wasp. Darn-Darnit.

ferretdance03 said:
JKP said:
...Keeping the z wasp, thats good...
I don't get it either. What's the reasoning behind this?

I don't get it either. What's the reasoning behind this?

usually boils down to sales and whether or not it's worth hooking the mold up and running some.

from a business standpoint it's only worth running stuff that will sell quickly and selling any slow movers is a loss of opportunity cost. i'm guessing discraft has some sales figure that when a disc drops below that point it's no longer "worth" keeping it in production.

Discraft discs that seem to sell the most are ones that a SORT OF like one of Innova's discs, but with a distinct appeal that Innova lacks. Example: Z Buzzz/Z Wasp. Champion Rocs are expensive and hard for the average player to come by, so many buy Z Buzzz/Z Wasp. If you have thrown Teebirds/Firebirds, then you will probably like the Predator which is between them in stability and little faster. I also think the Force is LIKE the Destroyer/Xcal/Boss, but yet a little different and more versatile than any of those 3. This is the kind of thing that I believe drives Discraft's disc design process.

there's been periods where discraft was ahead of the game and periods where they've been more reactive.

1993 to 1996... the tournament pro plastic was the best plastic ever used at that point. the cyclone and x-clone were far beyond the other discs available on the market in that style upon their release.

1997-2000... elite pro plastic was the best plastic ever used at that point. the X2, XL, and Xtra were far beyond the other discs available on the market in that style upon their release. the MRV was arguably the best small diameter midrange ever made.

since then things have seemed more reactive (with the exception of the storm and flippy midranges... breeze, glide, meteor, etc.)

the thing that stands out in my mind over the 2001-2003 era was that discraft really didn't have any limited edition fund raising stuff going on. discraft had a much bigger chunk of market when z plastic was readily available in many models and innova was having trouble keeping up with demand for champion edition plastic. getting what people wanted most in their hands at all times was pretty much what did it for them. this is where i feel they sort of "dropped the ball" over the past 5 years with 2nd first run buzzz's, cryztal plastic, z/flx drones, etc.

the crush was the last design that imo, felt truly unique and not like a counterpart (or a marginal retool or hybrid) to something that was already available on the market.

Blake_T said:
there's been periods where discraft was ahead of the game and periods where they've been more reactive.

1993 to 1996... the tournament pro plastic was the best plastic ever used at that point. the cyclone and x-clone were far beyond the other discs available on the market in that style upon their release.

1997-2000... elite pro plastic was the best plastic ever used at that point. the X2, XL, and Xtra were far beyond the other discs available on the market in that style upon their release. the MRV was arguably the best small diameter midrange ever made.

since then things have seemed more reactive (with the exception of the storm and flippy midranges... breeze, glide, meteor, etc.)
I always laugh now when people say they like Discraft mids and Innova drivers. When I was playing seriously it was the opposite. Discraft really didn't have an answer to the Roc, but the Cyclone-X-Clone driver duo in Tourney Pro was the best driver set-up in the game.

Blake_T said:

the thing that stands out in my mind over the 2001-2003 era was that discraft really didn't have any limited edition fund raising stuff going on. discraft had a much bigger chunk of market when z plastic was readily available in many models and innova was having trouble keeping up with demand for champion edition plastic. getting what people wanted most in their hands at all times was pretty much what did it for them. this is where i feel they sort of "dropped the ball" over the past 5 years with 2nd first run buzzz's, cryztal plastic, z/flx drones, etc.

the crush was the last design that imo, felt truly unique and not like a counterpart (or a marginal retool or hybrid) to something that was already available on the market.

Good synopsis. I also think that when the Wildcat/Predator were released they were also ahead of anything else. At that moment in time, as you mention above, Innova had run out of CE and few things were available. The closest equivalents they had were the Valk/Firebird. Not long after the Wildcat/Predator Innova reacted with the Beast/Monster. Discraft put out the Crush...and then came the first Starfire, which imo was a pretty blatent copy of the Crush. However, then came the Orc...and I feel Innova has had the upper hand ever since.

Latest posts