• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR's Discraft Pipe Dreams

What would you like to see new from Discraft in '09?

• >1.7 driver

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • < 1.6 driver

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • mid-range

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • putter

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • models in different plastics

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • bring back an old model

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • more 150 class

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • glow discs

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
Mike, please consider making the Zone in the Soft X Plastic.
It is lauded as a Putt and Approach disc, so the softer plastic makes sense (for putters), and those that love it for its predictable hyzer approaches ( I aced with mine last night) would also like to have an option that would stick tight to the pin on the landing.
KP

DiscraftMike said:
Here is your chance to ask the Discraft Headquarters anything you want.

How about the Glide and/or Stratus in ESP plastic?

I love the Avenger as well as the Avenger SS, but they span a wide range of stability. It would be nice to see something in between these in terms of high speed stability out of the box. Maybe call it the "Avenger S" with just 1 S.

Also be nice to have something like the Innova Gazelle but in durable plastic. Innova refuses to make the Gazelle in anything but DX plastic, so there is a big market you guys can swoop in and steal as they snooze.

JHern said:
I love the Avenger as well as the Avenger SS, but they span a wide range of stability. It would be nice to see something in between these in terms of high speed stability out of the box. Maybe call it the "Avenger S" with just 1 S.

If you absolutely must throw an Avenger to do it, you could check out the 150 class ESP Avenger (If you don't want to be frustrated with fragile plastic, you want a dark blue one). Otherwise, there are a huge amount of discs that meet that criteria that Discraft makes...

JHern said:
DiscraftMike said:

Also be nice to have something like the Innova Gazelle but in durable plastic. Innova refuses to make the Gazelle in anything but DX plastic, so there is a big market you guys can swoop in and steal as they snooze.

Discraft makes the Cyclone, which you can get in X and Z, although it doesnt fly like the original in Z.

JHern said:
DiscraftMike said:

they already do have this: the X Avenger.

They have three discs that range in stability for the Avenger:

Moderately Overstable- ESP/Z Avenger
Stable- X Avenger
understable- Avenger SS

Yeah X Avengers!!!

Anyone have experience with the D Avengers? I'm guessing grippier, but more glide? How fast do they beat up? Is there any chance they'll remove the X's?

pd

pointdisc said:
Anyone have experience with the D Avengers? I'm guessing grippier, but more glide? How fast do they beat up? Is there any chance they'll remove the X's?

Significantly flippier than my beat ESP Avenger, but still has some fade.

REALLY grippy, like the new D Forces.

Unfortunately, the plastic is SUPER FRAGILE. Not quite as horrible as the RDGA plastic Discraft makes, but it CHIPS when you hit trees, rather than denting. There's a huge chunk off my D Force's rim from where I hyzered into a bush after it slowed down. I don't even WANT to know what it would've done if I hit a tree at full speed.

I personally can't recommend the new Pro D drivers, based on that alone. I picked up one each of the Avenger and Force, and won't bother with any more of either unless the plastic is significantly more durable in other runs.

Of course, it IS Discraft plastic, so it could well just be a color thing (the SureGrip Tsunamis were nice Pro-D in yellow, but used a softer blend like the RDGA stuff in orange, for example).

If that's the case, I'd advise against sky blue and creamsicle orange.

JHern said:

They do make the Stratus in ESP plastic. It is the disc most people have been getting when they join the PDGA. Only downside is that they are all black...Buddy of mine got his first ace with one last night at league.

Innova used to make a KC Pro Gazelle....I have a 148 in the other room....

JHern said:
(cough, cough) ESP Cyclone (cough, cough)

I heard something fun about ESP Cyclones, but I'll let Mike tell you guys about it, in case I'd just be spreading rumors...

If he's still around...

SkaBob said:
I heard something fun about ESP Cyclones, but I'll let Mike tell you guys about it, in case I'd just be spreading rumors...

If he's still around...

It's cool. All we do on this MB is spread rumors :).

SkaBob said:

If he's still around...
Oh, no you don't! Whatever you heard, spill the beans. We all realize this is the Internet, after all...unsubstantiated rumor central!

ss forces, which i hear may come would be cool

other than that, shorter range drivers other than preds. something to rival the FL's and TL's i have

SkaBob said:

If he's still around...
Out with it!

LOL man, I think I'll get scalped if I don't tell what I heard!

A little birdie told me that the Discraft One Disc Challenge (not the ace race, a different event, like the one that got us the FLX Pulse) will likely be with the ESP Cyclone this year...

Like I said though, that's rumor from me...if Mike says so, you can consider it true, but I'm just some guy, you know? 8)

SkaBob said:
LOL man, I think I'll get scalped if I don't tell what I heard!

A little birdie told me that the Discraft One Disc Challenge (not the ace race, a different event, like the one that got us the FLX Pulse) will likely be with the ESP Cyclone this year...

Like I said though, that's rumor from me...if Mike says so, you can consider it true, but I'm just some guy, you know? 8)

Ben Calhoun over at discgolfersrus.com had mentioned that the ESP cyclone is the disc for the one disc challenge, so what you heard could be true.

My personal suggestions for things I would like to see from Discraft.

1. Continuing to produce/promote former "flagship" models, even if on a limited edition basis. The X2, X-Clone, and MRV are three that strongly come to mind. I believe that these models still stand up well amongst everything available today and while demand might not be huge, I believe there's still a place for them in today's game as they are able to outperform many contemporary models at their designed purposes. Other than the Phoenix, the X-Clone is the only other disc that's held the distance record since it broke the 600' barrier that has been discontinued. I'm still a huge fan of the Xtra, but I can admit that there's little need for it. On the other side of things, I believe the MRV far out-performed the Torque (as well as the Shockwave and Aftershock) and there's still a lot of people that like small diameter mids (not to mention that the Z MRV is arguably the best sidearm midrange ever made).

2. Expand the Pro D line to include more intermediate friendly drivers. Initially I would have said to just expand Pro D to include newer drivers, but with the Force, Surge, Avenger, and Crush (and the now OOP Venom) most of the new tech drivers are too much disc for the average player looking at buying D plastic. The Avenger SS will probably help fill that gap, but it's a pretty big jump from say, the XL, Cyclone, or Avenger SS to the next more stable model. Going from 0 to stability to 1.5+ stability is a bit of a jump when I believe the "forgotten demographic" of players throwing 250-350' are best off throwing stuff that's closer to 1.

3. No more SS discs. The Avenger SS and Surge SS are new discs. The SS seemed to steal away that "new disc hype" that I believe would have been stronger if they had unique names. IMO, the Avenger SS is more unique of a disc than the proto Avengers (Predator bottom with Wildcat top?) and Flicks (Flash bottom with Crush top?) so why not give it a new name with some pizazz?

4. Expand the rating scale in order to give more product differentiation and a smoother "transition" between numbers. From my experiences, there's a greater stability jump from +1 to +1.5 than there is from +1.5 to +1.7. I have a feeling the ratings that are not on a 0.5 scale were probably determined by player feedback after the last rating scale shift was performed that condensed it from -3 to +5 to -1 to +2.5 (e.g. the X Avenger is slightly more overstable than a Z Flash, hence +1.5 to +1.6).

5. Keep the Wasp in production in D plastic (and Z plastic as well). I don't know why more people don't throw this disc.

6. Fewer understable midranges.

7. Find a way to get the Cyclone and Comet to mold in a shape that is closer to their original tournament pro shapes. The classic Cyclone shape just hasn't been around in a long time and it's one of my favorite discs of all time when it has that shape. It seems the newer plastics end up having too much bead definition and in X and D are too flat to glide well. In that former shape the Cyclone is one of the few drivers capable of exerting enough control over it to perform fairway surgery with it, but I haven't found that to be true of the current production models. The Comet in TP plastic (and the RR signature model) was probably the easiest to power disc on the planet. A tiny little flip (or newbie level power) would yield an incredibly long-gliding result in terms of input/output ratio. Unfortunately, the X, Z, and ESP models don't garner this same result.

8. Reduce/limit the amount of highly-priced fund-raising models. My view is that if people want it badly enough to pay $20-25 for it, it should be standard production. At the same time, if people want it badly enough to pay $20-25 for it, you'll sell lots of them at $12.95. More people buying them = greater market share = greater long-run profits. The Z/FLX Drones come to mind on this. The other big one that comes to mind is the 2nd First Run Buzzz. The "Buzzz Classic" in the original first run mold could be a top selling disc if it was standard production at standard pricing.

These are just some of my views, some of them being personal preference and others targeted towards the DG community as a whole.

Kudos on the Z Force, Z Surge SS, and newest blend of Z plastic (that leaves very little flashing on the bottom rim). I consider these all to be home runs.

Latest posts