• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR's Discraft Pipe Dreams

What would you like to see new from Discraft in '09?

• >1.7 driver

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • < 1.6 driver

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • mid-range

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • putter

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • models in different plastics

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • bring back an old model

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • more 150 class

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • glow discs

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
D Force
D Surge
D Zone now in full production

Release date of April 27!!!

In the works:
extra long range stable driver
new putter
Potential testing:
ESP Cyclone
X Force
D Buzzz 150 class

*New stamp Z Trackers ran the same as 05 Players Cup(Team tested).
*Rattlers were ran many years ago in old cyclone plastic. Some still pop up on ebay.
*Flx Z is used for fundraising for large tournaments.
*We still offer bags. The Tournament bag hold 12-14 discs.
*We do make a stiffer APX, the Reef(DGA) is the same mold.
*"Simplicity" Having 1 number for a stability rating helps beginners to distinguish between an advanced overstable 2.5 Predator and an understable -1 Xpress. Having multiple numbers can get too confusing. The seasoned Pro on average don't use the ratings, they know what their discs do.

Thanks for all your feedback
Discraft Inc.

DiscraftMike said:
*"Simplicity" Having 1 number for a stability rating helps beginners to distinguish between an advanced overstable 2.5 Predator and an understable -1 Xpress. Having multiple numbers can get too confusing. The seasoned Pro on average don't use the ratings, they know what their discs do.

First of all, thanks for the updates. Good news all around.

My only comment would be regarding the ratings. It's only my opinion, but I suspect that it's neither beginners nor seasons pros that are buying the majority of your discs, it's knuckleheads like me that want to try out every new disc and enjoy testing them in new plastics (god only knows why).

Thus, when I see the force come out, and I'm throwing around 325', I'd like to know if I'm picking up a meat hook or if it's a disc I could actually put in my bag because it'll benefit me. I doubt beginners even look at the ratings at all. A disc is a disc to them. The seasoned pros probably aren't even throwing much of the latest stuff because...well... why? What they have is doing the trick, right? :) I know few older players that have picked up some of the newer drivers, but it's typically been some of the more understable stuff in heavier weights - something to eek out a little more distance.

The people you appease with a better description/rating is the advanced players who are looking for an edge over their competition by way of better plastic. Just my 2 cents though.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this site would line up to test the ESP Cyclone :D.

Mike, this is in reference to something Dave Dunipace posted on the pdga forums. He said he was working on some midrange/fairway drivers that are designed to be run in premium plastic. A lot of the older type drivers were designed to hit trees/change flight/break in because the plastic they were molded in changed shape from hitting stuff. As a result, discs of that era were made a bit more stable, then broke into a sweet spot. Once premium plastic came around, discs that were meant to break in like this simply stayed in that overstable state for way too long. The Z Cyclone and Champ Gazelle are great examples of this; and it's probably the reason that neither were great sellers. Even discs that are good sellers (Star Leopard) stay stable for quite a while. The XL seems to be the exception to the rule; I find that it's flight in both premium and baseline plastics are similar, and both break into a pretty nice flight (with the baseline breaking into a little flippier driver).

Do you think it's possible to create a premium plastic Cyclone that will have a Cyclone flight pattern without trashing it for a year, or do you think Discraft will have to go Innova's route and create fairway molds specifically for premium plastics that fly like a fairway driver should out of the box?

DiscraftMike said:
D Force
D Surge

In the works:
new putter
Potential testing:
ESP Cyclone
X Force
D Buzzz 150 class

*New stamp Z Trackers ran the same as 05 Players Cup(Team tested).
*Rattlers were ran many years ago in old cyclone plastic. Some still pop up on ebay.

Discraft Inc.
if the new putter is like a GT-less banger i'll be buying a pile

DiscraftMike said:
D Force
D Surge

In the works:
new putter
Potential testing:
ESP Cyclone
X Force
D Buzzz 150 class

*New stamp Z Trackers ran the same as 05 Players Cup(Team tested).I hope not but the one I pulled from my order flew overstable like all the others which I prefer.

Discraft Inc.

From a Discraft player make a new putter with a rounded wing or at least similar to a Banger's wing. Also it needs a bead slightly smaller than a Banger but bigger than a Challenger. Or you can just make a Banger GTless.

How about a beaded XL? Just bring back the Proto-XL 2s into full production. That way they will get a following and I can sell my original for some cash. Seriously though a disc at Reaperish speed needs to be made as a straight to overstable fairway driver. XL is great but it would be nice to have something I can fully trust on windy days.

Trackers have been more overstable which I like but I'm thinking a slightly concave Tracker with a medium bead. Actually this will still be Stable like a Star TB but if they redo the tracker to make it straighter this may be needed

I recently bought the banger gt to try, along with about every other putter on the market.. It doesnt seem to glide as well as the challenger but the groove top im pretty consistent with. I like it within 35 feet, but a challenger outside it.. Therefore i may go back just to challenger

But you probably putt hard and direct. I used to putt like that but now I have more pitch and can't even revert back to that style now with Banger success and it al has to do with the thumb. Feels ok on drills putts but crappy on putts with vertical movement.

yea i know what you mean, its definately not for everyone. And yea i snap hard and direct

"Do you think it's possible to create a premium plastic Cyclone that will have a Cyclone flight pattern without trashing it for a year, or do you think Discraft will have to go Innova's route and create fairway molds specifically for premium plastics that fly like a fairway driver should out of the box?"

Or if small spacers between the lid/wing can pre-blunt the edge for a worn-in flight out of the box...

Assuming it keeps good grip, I'll gladly pay extra for prem plastic so I can chase my form instead of the disc wear.

RS39 said:
Or if small spacers between the lid/wing can pre-blunt the edge for a worn-in flight out of the box...

This is a trick Dave Dunipace uses to make discs more OVERstable. I can't say that I know exactly how it would affect the Cyclone mold but I'm assuming it would be worse than the Z Cyclone.

All the weight is in the wing, so using current plastics, there's no way. Innova was able to bring the Boss down by switching over to the R-pro plastic (I guess it's less dense than the others). So unless Discraft does something like that, I don't see how they could do it.

black udder said:
All the weight is in the wing, so using current plastics, there's no way. Innova was able to bring the Boss down by switching over to the R-pro plastic (I guess it's less dense than the others). So unless Discraft does something like that, I don't see how they could do it.

Take a chunk out like in the Groove. That is why I think Discraft did that test out of necessity to get the disc down to weight.

scoot_er said:
black udder said:

Take a chunk out like in the Groove. That is why I think Discraft did that test out of necessity to get the disc down to weight.

I agree, but I don't know that it'll get it down to the 150g range. The Groove only made it to what, 165g? 166? I think if they could have gone lower, they would - at least they typically do.

Why not just throw the 150 ESP Flick? It's about what you'd get from a 150 force, anyways...

SkaBob said:
Why not just throw the 150 ESP Flick? It's about what you'd get from a 150 force, anyways...

The 150 flick is actually what made me think a 150 force would be cool too.

Latest posts