• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR's Discraft Pipe Dreams

What would you like to see new from Discraft in '09?

• >1.7 driver

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • < 1.6 driver

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • mid-range

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • putter

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • models in different plastics

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • bring back an old model

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • more 150 class

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • glow discs

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
Roy said:
Can Discraft mold the Xclone in modern plastics? I'd be down with those 8) .
The X-Clone even in its heyday was a fragile disc. I went through 10 of them one summer, and it wasn't even my go-to driver!

The Xtra would fill that slot nicely with a more durable mold.

Z Storm...bring it back and I'll start throwing Discraft again. I still can't believe ya'll discontinued that one...

black udder said:
Jesse B 707 said:
latitude said:
imo the fairway driver are what you miss the most, something like TL/TeeBird/striker :wink:

also, making the ESP Zone has made me the happiest person alive :D
XL is close to a TL, but yeah Discraft sorely needs a moderately overstable fairway driver. NOT THE TRACKER

XL isn't close enough to the TL to allow you to throw it instead of. It's more understable than the TL (and in heavier weights - at least the ESP). I'd love to see a Teebird in Discraft. As with the Wraith, couldn't care less if you copy it :)

And in no way is the surge the same thing as the wraith. Maybe it was meant to be, but it flies nothing like it in Champ or Star - maybe the dx wraith is like a surge, but nothing else.

Now - if you're throwing like 450'+, maybe they're both worthless for your needs, but at 330'-400', the wraith is a much better disc.
i dunno what kind of surges you are throwing but for me a 12x wraith and a doss surge are pretty damn similar, Z surges are garbage though

#1) I want stiff ESP Predators like the first run Predators. I haven't liked any of the new flexy-ESP Predators. For the people that like the flexy-ESP, they can just buy a FLX Predator. Stiff ESP feels and flies better than the flexy stuff, and grips better than Z.

#2) As others have said, the biggest hole in the Discraft line-up is with reliable stable fairway drivers. Simple solution? Bring back the X2! Discraft made a great Teebird competitor, and then discontinued it :(

#3) This is a distant third, but I would like to see Tournament Pro Cyclones again, and maybe Tourney Pro used for other fairway drivers and mids. It is amazing plastic, and certainly the best plastic for Cyclones by far. I don't think it would last long in very wide rimmed discs though, similar to Pro or X plastic.

I voted for bring an old model back because I think, according to the limited experience I have with it, the X2 is the "dream" fairway driver I was describing earlier. An X2 in a more durable blend of Pro D would be perfectilioso.

1. X Predator
2. Stable airway drive, although if you bring back the X Predator...
3. Better D plastic

JimW said:
"Pro-D seasons like ass".
:lol: That was me. I think that's the biggest reason people don't cycle Wasps like they do Rocs.

I was just thinking how everyone seems to think the X-clone was a great disc just too fragile. What if they brought itback in Z plastic?

MIdiscgolfer said:
I was just thinking how everyone seems to think the X-clone was a great disc just too fragile. What if they brought itback in Z plastic?
They tried it in Z. It was a dud. Sometimes a different plastic just ruins the disc...think Z Cyclone!

The X-Clone thing was kind of a time and place sort of thing. It had a loyal following amongst the forehand crowd and it was a very good overstable driver when new. Guys who used them for those purposes needed to replace them often, so they sold well. It was also used to break the distance record and people will always buy a disc that was used to break the distance record.

The other weird thing about the X-Clone was that it was listed as a "for Advanced players only" type disc in the promotional material. It was Discraft's fastest, most overstable driver at the time, but you could beat one up pretty easily into a manageable disc. A lot of weenie-arm guys would throw thrashed X-Clones and then brag about how they had such a big arm that they could flip one. In the guy-dominated macho disc golf world being able to flip a max-weight most-overstable disc always gets you some cred, and the Tourney Pro plastic used to get pretty flippy while still looking good on the outside so it was hard to tell exactly how thrashed that X-Clone was.

Even if they could re-create Cyclone plastic, they could not duplicate the time and place conditions that made the X-Clone such a huge disc in the mid 90's. I'm afraid new players would wonder what the big deal was.

Working Stiff said:
It still blows my mind that the X-Clone AND the X2 AND the Xtra AND the Xtreme are all OOP. There is your overstable fairway driver line-up.

I'd love to see the X2 and Xtra come back into production. As a bonus, you could cancel the Tracker to make room for them! :p
While I wasn't playing when most of those discs were out, it does seem like any holes in the Discraft lineup could be filled with discs that are OOP.

Voted bring back an old disc meaning Tournament Pro plastic Cyclones in max weight but will settle for similarly flying ESP. Original type 150 Z Flick would be nice too.

garublador said:
Working Stiff said:
It still blows my mind that the X-Clone AND the X2 AND the Xtra AND the Xtreme are all OOP. There is your overstable fairway driver line-up.

I'd love to see the X2 and Xtra come back into production. As a bonus, you could cancel the Tracker to make room for them! :p
While I wasn't playing when most of those discs were out, it does seem like any holes in the Discraft lineup could be filled with discs that are OOP.
I was selling discs at the time, and to me the biggest problem selling an X2 or an Xtra was the XL and XS. No matter what you said about the X2 or Xtra, they were not used to break the distance record. In the end even if you have a very, very good disc on the market, it has to sell. While I would love to see these disc come back, the question remains as to how you would sell them. Maybe giving them a different name and trying to pass them off as something exciting and new isn't as crazy an idea as it seems. Or maybe since the XL and XS are no longer considered big D discs, the X2 and Xtra would not be as overshadowed by them today.

They would just have to get the X2 back into the hands of some pros and call it the "Nate Doss Signature X2 Fairway Driver" or something.

If people understand that its for control and not distance, they will buy it. They just have to make sure it competes with Teebird and Eagles instead of the Boss or Force.

Gateway seemed to have a lot of success bringing in the Assassin and not billing it as a max distance driver. I've seen a few players that don't throw any Gateway except Assassins.

The Striker is making a run at this same market, too. Since its Latitude 64 I imagine it won't sell well in the US, but seeing how it does in Europe may be a good indicator of the US's willingness to buy an X2.

i think the striker will actually do pretty well in the states, especially if you throw one its hard to not buy

New Release Alert !!

New and improved Pro D discs. Harder Durometer and better Tensile Impact Strength material. What does this mean, longer lasting Pro D discs.
1st to be offered:
Pro D Avenger
Pro D Avenger SS
Available April 13th

Next in line:
Pro D Surge
Pro D Force
Pro D Zone
Arrival:end of April

Love the talk of OOP discs. Working Stiff made a good points about X2 and Xtra. We are looking into releasing some OOP discs in ESP. We think X-clone, cyclone, and X2 are good suggestions. We are always trying to fill in the gaps in our lines. As for the ZMRV, check out DGA's Aftershock. It's made by Discraft and it's flight characteristics are similar to the ZMRV.
X-force has been tested and is in consideration.

Thanks for all your feedback.
Discraft