• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Diamond (in the rough?)

I dunno about OPTO v. Champ, but I have a Proto-material Diamond and a well-seasoned DX Leopard. Brand new, my Diamond (when new) turned over easier (i.e. at lower disc speed) than my already beat Leo. Had to throw leopard faster than diamond before it would turn over... not a huge difference, but it was definitely noticeable. Just my experience - FWIW.

Regardless, seems we agree that the diamond is a good disc to get out there with no steps, which makes it good for winter play as well as uphill lies that are hard to step into, but you still have a long way to go, or are recovering from some sort of injury and can't step into as you normally would.

Mine is kind of the opposite - 150 gram DX Leo, beat in, is more flippy than an Opto Diamond of about the same weight.

Makes sense either way I guess. Never tried the test material.

I bought a 159 about 3 weeks ago
Now its my favorite off the tee
Better than my leopards sidewinders and calls
when someone asks me about it
I say if a leopard and valkyrie got together and had a baby
that the diamond would be it

Were they the same weight?
Leo = 160
Diamond = 150
I suppose that could account for the Leopard seeming more stable.

Come to think of it, I have recently thrown a low mileage 144 DX leo, and that was flippier than my Diamond. I suppose I'd have to compare to a 150 DX leo for a real "apples to apples" but it's been too long since I've thrown a 150 DX Leo.

I picked one of these up the other day to support a new local source for discs. Wanted to try one out myself and thought it'd be great for my girls this summer.

I've been playing with it a bit in a field so far and man do I ever like it. Standstill finesse shots, hyzer flip machine, effortless sweeping L-R shots... Fun, fun, fun.

Definitely some overlap with my fuse, I'll need to put those two head to head to see if it's really necessary, but it's a fun disc for sure.

Should be longer than the fuse no?
I've thrown Jill's a few times...they are fun. I'm snagging her another pink from Don's in the next day or so.

yeah Diamonds have much higher distance potential, especially when you get the hyzer flip just right. They are very sharp nosed for fairway drivers. It is quite possible that i can throw a 158g diamond farther than any other disc in my bag, however I'd need a very high ceiling, and multiple attempts to get the steep hyzer zero'd in right to flip flat on a full power throw.

I threw a 148 Diamond down the long anny friendly hole at Lehigh Valley a few weeks ago. I shanked the drive and then got the Diamond on a nice long downhill anny. Probably got about 500' out of that shot, and I am a noodle arm. Diamond is great for anny's and tailwinds. And most of the time I can back off it enough to throw an effortless hyzer-flip that will go dead straight and stay low to the ground for tunnel shots. Fun disc. Just don't throw it in any head wind or strong cross wind.

Should be longer than the fuse no?
I've thrown Jill's a few times...they are fun. I'm snagging her another pink from Don's in the next day or so.

Threw it with my beat fuse tonight a bit and ya... Definitely longer and a fair bit more under stable. I had a bad power throw with it tonight where I got the nose way up on it and released it a bit early as well. I think it's the only throw I've had with it so far where it finished with fade and even then only a tiny bit. Any other disc and it would have been a big hyzer rainbow.

I bet this thing would fly nice uphill.

I loves 'em. Good and understable for me and very easy to range and control. I have a couple of Opto Diamonds and was sorta disappointed. One has a -1, 2 flight and the other is -1, 1 flight. The recycleds have a -3/4, 1 flight like they are really supposed to have. Very easy to hyzer flip into a nice low and long laser beam.:thmbup: I am sure my Optos would beat in to the flight of the RGL's, but I didn't want to wait ten years for that to happen. They wear like iron.:|

diamonds beat in quick compared to other molds because they are light weight and less dense than heavier discs. 10 years is a gigantic stretch, even for opto.

Personally, i think brand new Opto or RGL Diamonds are the most perfect lightweight disc out there. Diamonds are fairly understable to begin with so even just a little bit of seasoning they start to get real flippy real quick and so i prefer Opto to get a little more life out of them.

at any rate, beat diamonds are crazy good at up-hill tunnel shots. Just hyzer flip it on a high line straight up the middle and it'll wow your competition every time.

I got one of the recycled Diamonds at my local PIAS for $10. I think it's 153gm.

I love the way it flies! A nice S curve with good distance (maybe without too much on the top of the S). This, the recycled Saint, and a used Flow are my main drivers now. Love what Lat64 is doing, and love the RGL for $10!

diamonds beat in quick compared to other molds because they are light weight and less dense than heavier discs. 10 years is a gigantic stretch, even for opto.

I was obviously being sarcastic. :wall:

My 158g RGL Diamonds will turn-over whereas the 158g OPTO will turn then fade back...

The RGL makes a fun BH roller and the OPTO seems to "lock on" to a Hyzer Flip a little easier, too.

Great little discs! :thmbup:

I've thrown both an RGL and an Opto a lot. I mean A LOT! I have found the RGL has beat in quicker, and it attains more damage, leading to less stability. Still a fun disc to throw, but the disadvantage of lightweight/under-stable catches up pretty quickly for even my rubber arm.

My Opto is incredible - I've looked this disc over after many tree shots, road rash, etc, and it's still no worse than 8.5/10, after hundreds of shots. It is a fantastic right to left driver (for a lefty), incredible glide. I've made a ton of "oh wow" shots with this disc.

They both fit my hand like a glove, and you really couldn't go wrong with either, but...

the Opto is imo the superior disc; it's certainly a disc I would always keep in my bag if I played for keeps.

Latest posts