• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

New idea... in the last slot of each row is a "mystery disc". in sealed package. You don't know what it'll be... but pepper in a few First Runs, CE, USDGC Rocs, Night Shift, 10x, 88 Softees, into a mix with Optimizers, Blowflys, 10M Brick, Slipstream, etc. etc... you might have to restock it more than you want...

You beat me to it...

Back in the day, in my frat days, we had a drink machine at the house with a mystery button....

could be a beer, could be a Yoo-Hoo, could be a Tab, could be a celery soda. The current treasurer got to fill the machine, so you never new wtf might fall out of that thing.

So, a whole row of mystery discs, or even 2, could maybe increase the interest of established players who don't see one of their molds in the front slots..? You get most rows with beginner-friendly or widely used standards (i.e. DX Tbird,) then a couple of mystery slots where players might take a shot at something interesting even if they have a trunk full of discs and didn't lose any that day.

This is a cool idea, hope to see them in my area soon, good luck!

For: Someone could show up at a course inadvertently or other, purchase a disc, and play disc golf, whereas in the past a second trip would have to be made if there were no pro shop/disc seller at the course. They should put one at Fountain Hills right next to the tee pad on the longest hole over water. They'd make a fortune. Indeed one of disc's best attributes is just how easy and affordable it is to get started.
Against: I can already see my arm getting stuck in there.

Good idea but garbage design. They need to set it up like redbox, not like a candy machine.

I agree. But it's something to work towards. The sophistication and software needs, not to mention cost, of a Redbox machine compared to a standard vending machine is HUGE. Let them test the waters of the market and decide if the investment would be worth it.

Ross Brandt and many others are doing a great job with this. The other thing I am guessing is he needs cooperation with park and rec departments which this is a shot in the dark but I am guessing they want a cut of the $$$$ as well. The machine will be successful at the right places, parks that don't have a pro shop or clubhouse where you can buy discs but at the same time are more upscale parks. Bryant Lake park in Minnesota is the first place I thought of this being successful as they have no pro shop there.

I agree. But it's something to work towards. The sophistication and software needs, not to mention cost, of a Redbox machine compared to a standard vending machine is HUGE. Let them test the waters of the market and decide if the investment would be worth it.

This. Unless they're going in with a lot of up-front capital, old candy machines are probably MUCH more cost effective than digital Red-Box type machines.

Seems stupid to me. Its hard enough to run a business as it is.

No utilities, no rent/lease, no employees, no shipping, no software for online ordering/inventory, no dealing with customers face-to-face, very little marketing $$ needed, etc.

Pretty simple start-up model, actually. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Despite my previous post about possible (probable) theft, this machine has huge potential, and will likely be very succesful. Best of luck to Teeboxx.

No utilities, no rent/lease, no employees, no shipping, no software for online ordering/inventory, no dealing with customers face-to-face, very little marketing $$ needed, etc.

Pretty simple start-up model, actually. Not sure if that's what you meant.

This is the future. There will be no stores. Yea dealing with customers face to face must be a shame.

Seems stupid to me. Its hard enough to run a business as it is.

I guess you are a retailer that's afraid of the new guy on the block. Welcome to the free market economy. Any great idea in this country is rewarded, this my friend is a GREAT idea. Let the sport GROW!!!!

I guess you are a retailer that's afraid of the new guy on the block. Welcome to the free market economy. Any great idea in this country is rewarded, this my friend is a GREAT idea. Let the sport GROW!!!!

Its a great ideal until someone shatters one lil piece of glass and takes all your merch. No I don't own a store sorry for trying to support the ones that do. In the economy its good to employ ppl. I doubt these will EVER hit charlotte. If they do they will be remove I assure you :).

I could see this going many different ways. I'll be interested to see how it works out in the future. I think it would be cool to have a course map next to or on the machine. If I bought a disc a course layout would help me select a new driver if I was in the market for one.

Some customers are a$$holes.

I like this idea BTW

Couldn't agree more.

Some customers have a sense of entitlement and expectation that continues to baffle me.
I was in retail as an owner and manager for almost two decades. Got out of it and don't miss it, EVER.

I like the idea.
The hardest part of any business is the implementation and adaptation.
Another way of saying that is: Time will tell...

I keep reading the "what if I dont get what I paid for" argument... MOST of the newer vending machines come with "goldeneye technology" (no i didn't make up some bond garbage) that is basically a laser sensor to determine if your item is dispensed. Now call me crazy, but if they have sensors like the goldeneye in a machine that kicks out stuff worth 2 bucks or so tops, why wouldn't these be STOCK in a machine dealing with items that are 13+?

Latest posts