• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

Looks like a very cool idea to me, lots of potential.
Now, how do I get Skulboy discs in that thing?

It will only introduce the sport to people that don't know a thing about disc golf. People that don't know about disc golf surely don't know about the disc golf retailer in town, if your town even has one. Introduce a couple in one town and watch the sport grow. Then there will be a need for a brick and mortar store when the vending machine becomes just a convenience, which it is. Competition is better than you think. The internet changed the way we do business, it eliminated the need for some brick and mortar in every economy but it also lowered prices to the consumer. With change comes the good and the bad. But for the most part its better for us. VISIBILITY FOR THE SPORT!!! Game changer.

How do you feel the disc before you buy it. Thats as bad as buying random discs from online stores.

I'm pretty sure MANY DG'ers have had his idea. But, never did anything about it, Including myself. This will only work at the nicer parks. As a mobile DG store owner/operator I've already contacted them about it. Reading all the posts' and seeing they are only leasing, the cut the Parks Dept. will want it MAY not be profitable. I'd wait until the 2nd generation teeboxx. If they make it so the customer can pick the color & weight. This GREAT idea would only be part of my retail.

No utilities, no rent/lease, no employees, no shipping, no software for online ordering/inventory, no dealing with customers face-to-face, very little marketing $$ needed, etc.

Pretty simple start-up model, actually. Not sure if that's what you meant.

the machines are lease only with profits going to the company u can not buy the machine outright.

I am not some brilliant entrepreneur, but I just cannot see any way possible that this will make money. I assume the vending machine costs at least $500 (probably a low estimate but I have no idea what they actually cost), and there are additional costs that are not fixed - such as power, maintenence and upkeep of the machines (those things can't be simple, easy, or cheap to fix, and they will break down on occasion). Plus the initial cost of the stock to be sold out of them.

How many discs would you have to sell out of a machine before all the initial costs were covered and you started to realize a profit? Let's say the initial outlay is $1000, for the machine and the initial stock of discs. If you charge $15 a disc, and your cost is $5 a disc, you have to sell 100 discs out of the thing just to cover your initial costs. And as has already been discussed in this thread, the target market is beginners and rec players, who are not likely to be buying discs in quantity. It seems that it would take a good long while to actually sell 100 discs out of the thing. And I have not even factored in the cost of labor and the time involved.

I'm not saying it isn't pretty cool, because I think it is! I just think that from a financial standpoint, in both the short term and long term, it is unlikely to be successful. But I would like to be convinced otherwise....

I prefer to buy my discs from push-cart street vendors, and not some silly vending machine. :|

This is the future. There will be no stores. Yea dealing with customers face to face must be a shame.

There will still be stores.

Also, I've dealt with the public via work for 20 years. Yeah, it can suck. But what I meant by that in that post was that good customer service with live people can add cost, too...

Though, I suppose in this model, if a disgruntled customer damages your machine....

I think it's funny one of the rows of discs is under the category "apprentice".

Ha! Yeah, right? How do I get me a DG apprentice. Carry my bag, sand down my flashing, go scuba for my precious in the drink, play retreiver during field work, etc.

I think this is perfect. put this machine outside of a nice course and fill it with proper beginners discs. baseline plastic putters mid ranges and fairway drivers in lighter weights for everyone who hasnt played. they get the correct beginners discs and arent out there throwing bosses and nukes thinking they will go further and will actually enjoy their first experience playing the game more.

haters_gonna_hate3.jpg

I could see this going many different ways. I'll be interested to see how it works out in the future. I think it would be cool to have a course map next to or on the machine. If I bought a disc a course layout would help me select a new driver if I was in the market for one.

Should be real easy to include whatever kind of printed materials you want with a disc, just stick it to the back. I like the idea of the course map.

In the economy its good to employ ppl.
So these machines fill and repair themselves, and the money collects itself? No, it's not a mega-employer, but whoever leases these things will need someone working to take care of the machines.

This will probably work. I think most serious DGers won't give it much business b/c they're too particular but for the n00bs and college kids in the summer it should work great. Awesome for people bringing friends without discs to the park.

So these machines fill and repair themselves, and the money collects itself? No, it's not a mega-employer, but whoever leases these things will need someone working to take care of the machines.

Yea one guy that goes from machine to machine for $8.00 an hour. I used to work for a private vending business. If ppl will try to steal soda cans I can assure you they will attempt to steal 150+ discs out of a machine. Also don't know where you guys are playing but where im at most course are in the woods. Unless you had a dropcord or wire in the ground you'd have to run power for these.

Last edited: