• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

Now take it a step further and put Beer in that machine as well.

Its a great ideal until someone shatters one lil piece of glass and takes all your merch. No I don't own a store sorry for trying to support the ones that do. In the economy its good to employ ppl. I doubt these will EVER hit charlotte. If they do they will be remove I assure you :).

It seems like you're so set against what is essentially another way to promote the sport, you would mask a threat against it? This machine is actually built, you couldn't find it in your heart to wish some entrepreneurial DG'ers well instead? Each to their own I guess. Also, the 'economy' (of disc golf or anything else) is not suffering because of vending machines. We live in a world of convenience, DG would just suck up more of those spontaneously spent $$, most probably by curious randoms who may then become paying customers later on. Anybody here stop going to the supermarket because you can buy coke in a vending machine at work? Anyone?

For the pro's who like what they like and would be hard pressed to spend in one of these, life would not change, but it would be damn cool to see one of these in my town and yes, I too would buy something just to say I did.

K.

Many of the courses here are within county parks with buildings and P2P set ups.
Rolling hills,idependence lake, hudson mills, kensington, willow, and stoney creek would be ideal imo.

No doubt. All of the park systems need more funding, a bit of money made in this fashion could go a long way. The parks can't afford to staff/monitor even a modest "pro shop" but installing a couple machines which are filled by an outside vender is almost a no brainer. Put 'em right next to the snack machines.

It's been mentioned, by both myself and others. And yes, it would need to be a large machine. And it could be something they decide to try in the future. A little easier to launch something with lower overhead, then move into the high end stuff.

Totally agree. I also had no idea martin was involved with this, never would I call him half ass, :hfive:so sorry for that.

I'm as skeptical as anyone going into this endeavour, but I've also had over a year to work through the frustrations and see behind the scenes, and to finally see a machine in the ground is such a huge step, and now everything is in fast forward and I've regained confidence in the folks behind this. Believe me, they're not being hasty about any decisions, and you should be hearing much more from this company very soon.

Big problem - to some scumbags this would be a vending machine worth taking a chance of being cought breaking into (tearing it up). I would think it would need to be kept inside a locked facility after hours, and when not "supervised". Worth it?? I like the progressive idea.

I can see this inside of the pro shop at Blue Ribbon Pines or something that is closely monitored. Public parks? Um no.

If you checkout the FB page, the pic of the one "teeboxx" is inside a building. Perhaps the company IS reccomending they are put indoors or closely monitored spots, where they won't be smashed up.

I would be surprised if the "glass" wasn't something like Lexan which is pretty hard to break. IIRC, that's what they used to surround the Battle Bots arena.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it had its own security camera built in. I can't imagine it would cost prohibitive to add a small fish eye camera and some storage to protect a few thousand dollars of plastic.

If you checkout the FB page, the pic of the one "teeboxx" is inside a building. Perhaps the company IS reccomending they are put indoors or closely monitored spots, where they won't be smashed up.

Doesn't exactly look like the most secure building though...

575940_520074608036276_1722417388_n.jpg

I think it's a great idea. :thmbup:

Forget disc golf vending machines, I want a Mcdonalds vending machine. I trust robots more than the minimum wage bus folk working at mcdonalds who couldn't give 2 ****s about doing a halfway decent job of making your food. I guarantee a mcdonalds vending machine would make a better big mac than any of the scrubs currently making my big macs. And honestly it really wouldn't be that hard to automate a mcdonalds, whoever does it first is going to be a billionaire.

It seems like you're so set against what is essentially another way to promote the sport, you would mask a threat against it? This machine is actually built, you couldn't find it in your heart to wish some entrepreneurial DG'ers well instead? Each to their own I guess. Also, the 'economy' (of disc golf or anything else) is not suffering because of vending machines. We live in a world of convenience, DG would just suck up more of those spontaneously spent $$, most probably by curious randoms who may then become paying customers later on. Anybody here stop going to the supermarket because you can buy coke in a vending machine at work? Anyone?

For the pro's who like what they like and would be hard pressed to spend in one of these, life would not change, but it would be damn cool to see one of these in my town and yes, I too would buy something just to say I did.

K.

The only flaw to your coke analogy is coke is consumed, it doesnt sit around, it doesn't get used more than 1 time. . . discs are not consumed that frequently. How many discs have you lost in our lifetime?

I have contacted TeeBoxx because I do see some potential if done in the right location. I just want to make sure that these vending machines don't put the league directors and tournament directors (and yes I am concerned what this would do to my business, I am not ashamed to admit that is part of my concern) out of business because noone will buy from them anymore. They already have a hard time making enough money to justify their time and then we are going to see an transition of money away from the local person? It all depends on the situation however. It depends how much the machine is and how many sales can be made without anyone needing to be there. How many sales will be missed out on because someone already got the disc they wanted out of the machine?

It's all a bunch of variables right now and I will help promote this if the situation is right. We need to see how receptive people are to buying something that aren't touching . . . we all know people love to feel the discs before they buy them. Will putting $8-20 into a vending machine entice people who do not play the game into giving it a try? Who knows.

I like the idea.. but I would be worried for my wallet. i can barely pass a place carrying discs without looking. if there was a vending machine right on the course i would almost without a doubt buy a disc!!!

good luck!!

Forget disc golf vending machines, I want a Mcdonalds vending machine. I trust robots more than the minimum wage bus folk working at mcdonalds who couldn't give 2 ****s about doing a halfway decent job of making your food. I guarantee a mcdonalds vending machine would make a better big mac than any of the scrubs currently making my big macs. And honestly it really wouldn't be that hard to automate a mcdonalds, whoever does it first is going to be a billionaire.

They don't give two ****s because of people like you. You have belittled them cause " they can't make your food right" these folks should be getting paid top dollar, they are handling your food show them some respect and you might get some back.

Not that 2 weeks in a vending machine could hurt a Big Mac too much, but do you really want to rob yourself and the rest of Entitlement America of the chance to rant at your fellow human beings for their inefficiencies? :rolleyes::doh:

Many of those guys would be affected by loosing just 10 disc sales a week.

Are they going to be at that particular course, 24/7, just to sell those discs? Are they even going to be there every weekend? Or every Saturday at 10am?
You can't complain about a loss of sales unless you ACTUALLY lose it.
If I'm selling discs, and the guy across from me is selling discs, every disc he sells is one that I could have sold, and is there fore lost.
If I'm selling discs Saturday morning, and this machine sells a disc Wednesday at 3 in the afternoon, I can't say "That machine stole that disc sale from me!", because I wasn't trying to sell discs Wednesday afternoon.

Vs

Carry almost unlimited molds, 10x the capacity, more satisfied customers, less chance of losing your investment

How does that present less chance of losing your investment? Look at this thing. It's almost the size of that Dodge Neon! I guarantee it's not "just glass" on the front. To break it, you're going to have to do something severe. And if someone is willing to go that far, don't you think they would be willing to take that 1 extra step to steal 10x more stuff?
I would assume power tools or a welding torch, and time would get you in there. Or a forklift.
Plus, since a disc can fit through a smaller opening, that way gets much harder too.

Did I miss the post where someone said, "I'm an informed human seller of plastic on-site at my local course, and I welcome the new business from players who were introduced to plastic by this machine, but now are ready to ask questions and get feedback on WHICH disc they need, ready to fondle wings, picks weights, feel the tack of various discs, get a real recommendation of how they should adjust their throw, maybe even join my mini or buy a tag, etc etc." ??

Look at this machine as a means of whacking people over the head with a magic wand.. "you're now interested in golf discs". The local dealers should see a benefit. At the least, take the opportunity to market WHY these new players should buy from you -- and hopefully your selling points include selection and helpful friendly advice. Unless you have less personality and frisbee passion than a metal appliance, you'll be fine.

Website Launch

The site doesn't give much away.

teeboxx.com

Our full website will be up in about a week with more information on our TeeBoxx and our program and initiatives that we have in place. Thanks for your interest.

Ross

Long Range Strategy

Perhaps the long range business strategy will be to dig a new water hazard on courses before installing each machine?

That's an interesting strategy, CK, but the construction of a new water feature is not TeeBoxx's future. If the City wishes to fund and redesign to include this type of feature it would be at the discretion of the City. Through the Revitalization Fund that we provide back to the City, the funds that the City receives will then be reinvested back into the disc golf course that houses the TeeBoxx. Our goal or TeeBoxx's goal is to preserve the parks that we have, mitigate soil compaction and erosion, and provide refuse for parks to minimize litter by providing a Revitalization Fund to Cities and their parks.

Ross

Second Gen

I think this is a phenomenal idea, but would rather see it more Redbox style: touch screen where you choose weight and color, rather than like a candy machine.

Still, put this in the "I wish I would have thought of that" department.

Edit: Very cool that they have the discs organized by skill level.

Thanks for your interest and comments. Our next generation machine will have the capability to pick weight and color.

Ross