• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

This will probably work. I think most serious DGers won't give it much business b/c they're too particular but for the n00bs and college kids in the summer it should work great. Awesome for people bringing friends without discs to the park.

Agreed, though I would probably buy from it once just to see it work and support a cool new idea.

It seems to me that if this catches on the responsiblity for running events will be put on the local clubs and the guys trying to make a living running tournaments and selling disc are in trouble.

It seems to me that if this catches on the responsiblity for running events will be put on the local clubs and the guys trying to make a living running tournaments and selling disc are in trouble.

A vending machine will never have the selection or the variety or the ability to hold the plastic before buying it, I would be very surprised to see them do much to eat into the business those guys do. I think it will compete more with Dick's and PIAS.

A vending machine will never have the selection or the variety or the ability to hold the plastic before buying it, I would be very surprised to see them do much to eat into the business those guys do. I think it will compete more with Dick's and PIAS.

Many of those guys would be affected by loosing just 10 disc sales a week.

Many of those guys would be affected by loosing just 10 disc sales a week.

Which is what I was saying from the beginning. Its a COOL idea yes. However discgolf still isn't big enough to have many stores stand on their own. If pias sold only discs they wouldn't be in biz.

I have to say that I never thought I'd see the day...
I would probably buy one just to say I bought a disc from a vending machine, but it could never replace a disc shop. Not being able to chose the weight and fondle the disc, inspect it or what have you would be a problem for me. I'm sure most serious disc golfers would feel the same. As said before I think the target market would be geared toward newbs or those who don't really care what they get, just something new and shiny.

I think this is just another step in pushing disc golf toward mainstream exposure. The people from Teeboxx are probably looking to add a way to put a disc in someone's hand, not take away from vendors who already do that.

Remember, we are often victims of our own perspective here in the DGCR bubble. Many of us like particular weights, colors, feels, etc. to our discs, and there are places to find that. But most of us also probably walked into a sporting goods store to purchase our first disc, then got hooked. This is just another way to hook people.

I'm not sure, cause I didn't skim the whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, these things need to be like a red box. 100's of discs, all searchable, with a touch screen. You'd be able to carry more molds, more colors, more weights. I realize the old school style vending machines might make more sense financially than a touch screen, but why go to all this work for a 1/2 ass finished product.

Holds 12 molds, you just get whatever color/weight is on top, potentially having a vandalized or broken into machine

Vs

Carry almost unlimited molds, 10x the capacity, more satisfied customers, less chance of losing your investment

Brb applying for a patent

I'm not sure, cause I didn't skim the whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, these things need to be like a red box. 100's of discs, all searchable, with a touch screen. You'd be able to carry more molds, more colors, more weights. I realize the old school style vending machines might make more sense financially than a touch screen, but why go to all this work for a 1/2 ass finished product.

Holds 12 molds, you just get whatever color/weight is on top, potentially having a vandalized or broken into machine

Vs

Carry almost unlimited molds, 10x the capacity, more satisfied customers, less chance of losing your investment

That would have to be a gigantic machine to handle that type of volume

Vs

It's been mentioned, by both myself and others. And yes, it would need to be a large machine. And it could be something they decide to try in the future. A little easier to launch something with lower overhead, then move into the high end stuff.

our skatepark here has the bars over the main areas of the vending machine. can only hit the buttons, put in money, take out the product. probably good to look into that for these. especially if being installed at public, multi-use parks.

but what i really want to know, is the machine too heavy to rock back and forth to get my disc out once it (inevitably) gets stuck? :)

If DG really "blows up" to the point where one of the big manufacturers get into this game, I'd love to see, say, a Latitude 64 3D-printing vendor that molds a custom disc on the spot...which would admittedly take a little more patience than a traditional instant-gratification device, but would be ohsosweet..."Crap, lost my beloved purple 176 Opto Core...time to get a replacement with those exact specifications." Maybe the printer could even pre-scuff or lightly break in the disc, too!

If DG really "blows up" to the point where one of the big manufacturers get into this game, I'd love to see, say, a Latitude 64 3D-printing vendor that molds a custom disc on the spot...which would admittedly take a little more patience than a traditional instant-gratification device, but would be ohsosweet..."Crap, lost my beloved purple 176 Opto Core...time to get a replacement with those exact specifications." Maybe the printer could even pre-scuff or lightly break in the disc, too!

Ha! If you're gonna dream, dream big. I think a machine that custom stamps discs is more realistic.

so other then all you marketing and business experts... anyone know what prices will be? are champion plastic discs going to be $13,$15,$20...?

any idea?

Big problem - to some scumbags this would be a vending machine worth taking a chance of being cought breaking into (tearing it up). I would think it would need to be kept inside a locked facility after hours, and when not "supervised". Worth it?? I like the progressive idea.

Yea one guy that goes from machine to machine for $8.00 an hour. I used to work for a private vending business. If ppl will try to steal soda cans I can assure you they will attempt to steal 150+ discs out of a machine. Also don't know where you guys are playing but where im at most course are in the woods. Unless you had a dropcord or wire in the ground you'd have to run power for these.

One guy is better than none, right? Seems like simple math to me. We get it man, you hate the idea, but some of your objections are nothing short of absurd.

Of the ten or so courses I've played, I can think if 4 that have power close enough to the course to place one of these machines. As far as security, 3 of those 4 courses are in state parks with rangers patrolling reasonably often, so that's not much of an issue, especially if the machine is well built otherwise. Yes, selection and discs getting stuck are minor issues, but they're just that, minor. I might not buy from these machines often, but it would be nice to have them on certain courses, and it would be nice to be able to pick up a DX Eagle or Teebird to loan a new player, as opposed to letting him beat my stuff up. After all, why not let a newb break in a disc for me?

Many of the courses here are within county parks with buildings and P2P set ups.
Rolling hills,idependence lake, hudson mills, kensington, willow, and stoney creek would be ideal imo.

Seems like a great idea. The theft issue seems funny. I cant think of a public park anywhere around here that has ANY vending machines, much less one like this. That would be bad. Wouldn't be a bad idea to set one up at the nearest liquor store and advertise its presence at the course.
Of corse the discs would not be the cheapest prices, but adding another buck or two to the price could make the machine profitable enough to pay it's way in a local buiseness.
Admit it, all of you who are past high school would probably buy one, if only for the novelty of it.

our skatepark here has the bars over the main areas of the vending machine. can only hit the buttons, put in money, take out the product. probably good to look into that for these. especially if being installed at public, multi-use parks.

but what i really want to know, is the machine too heavy to rock back and forth to get my disc out once it (inevitably) gets stuck? :)
This. I lived in the middle of a pretty gnarly neighborhood and there were still vending machines in the park that were locked up securely.