• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

I agree that it's easy to go too much. Something like putts within 10 and 10-20meters. Gives a little more info without being over kill.

Live disc golf is kind of meh for me. Main problem is the fact that it is a low budget operation compared to live ball golf for instance. You only get two cameras following one group. Action is a bit slow.

I like the edited footage, boom 30 minutes, done and done. I especially like when the pro's themselves do the commentary so you get an inside look at what they were thinking/throwing.

Seconding this. Live coverage is 90% waiting for something to happen while listening to someone talk. Commentary is great and I certainly prefer it but its not going to keep me engaged for 3+ hours.

For me to stay engaged I need more. Instant replays, cgi breakdowns of flight paths, real time distance measurements, those sorts of things would make live coverage watchable.

Seconding this. Live coverage is 90% waiting for something to happen while listening to someone talk. Commentary is great and I certainly prefer it but its not going to keep me engaged for 3+ hours.

For me to stay engaged I need more. Instant replays, cgi breakdowns of flight paths, real time distance measurements, those sorts of things would make live coverage watchable.

SmashBoxx provides instant replays. But we currently don't have the ability to record another card and show it when we need to. But we are working on some solutions.

As far as CGI breakdowns... don't count on that anytime soon. The software for that is in the 6 digits. But, we are working closely with the Pro Tour to provide a lot more info and assets to help with the down times that we see. I am REALLY excited for what we have coming up.

If only there was a little more to it than just in the circle. I can make 0 from circles edge, land them all within a few feet and have 100% in the circle.

Combo the ICPP with the GRH (Greens Hit) stat. If you were to do what you just described on a Par 3, you might have 100% ICPP but you would have a low green hit percentage.

Disappointed there isn't play-by-play video for the final round. It specifically states on the DGWT website that there would be. Jussi decide to nex it? I really enjoyed the play-by-play video for the second round, as people said Avery was having to rush to keep up with the fast clips but I think he found his rhythm near the end. Also, the Franz Ferdinand course was very scenic which really boosted the videos

Patience ;)

Pay to Watch???

For those of you that follow Jussi on social media, he just floated out some polls/questions about how much you would pay to watch 2 rounds of disc golf. So... we might get our trial sometime in the future. USDGC?

In theory, DG should translate better to TV than ball golf. Smaller area (sq. footage) to cover, and the thing flying through the air is larger.

A focus on the entire field of players vs. just one group would be the most dramatic upgrade IMO, along with more in-depth analysis and graphics available to the commentators. I have confidence that the coverage will get there but all these things cost money, and require experience. DGWT is making strides in the right direction.

For those of you that follow Jussi on social media, he just floated out some polls/questions about how much you would pay to watch 2 rounds of disc golf. So... we might get our trial sometime in the future. USDGC?

As long as it's PayPal, I'm in for a couple bucks. It would be a significant lower audience, but 100,000 x $0 is $0

However, would the paid viewing be commercial free? One may expect that... Then you get low audience levels and no ad money.

Just another position on this. I watch WRC, or World Rally Car. It's an international Rally circuit, very exciting well done. They have ten or twelve events a year, and it is only available with an online subscription (not quite, there is some free stuff, but it's limited in terms of video content). WRC+, as it's called, gives a big set of canned and live video of the races with summaries and other items. The subscription is $50 a year, and they also sell branded items with some other data collection give aways. I Don't hesitate to pay. If Jussi did this for DGWT for six or more events, with good commentary, and that would mean bringing on Terry and Ian, or something equivalent for me, I'd do it in a heart beat. I get exactly what I want, there are no ads, but the DG ads are good enough that I wouldn't be turned off by them. If you're a rally fan, and by the way, the Finns are RALLY fans, then you should check out WRC+ to get a feel for how it can be done.

The powers that be have made it clear that using similar, solid data from the USGA, the R&A, PGA of America or other respected golf entities is not worthwhile in dg. This is a factor in maintaining the cutting edge ratings system.

Do you mean the PDGA when you say "powers that be"?

Because I don't believe that's the position of the DGWT. It's more of a question of resources. I know we all want all these things, but the majority of people don't want to volunteer to help implement these ideas, they just want to be consumers (who don't want to pay for coverage).

...and most people right now that would volunteer are the ones that would pay, so it's robbing peter to pay paul basically.

SmashBoxx provides instant replays. But we currently don't have the ability to record another card and show it when we need to. But we are working on some solutions.

As far as CGI breakdowns... don't count on that anytime soon. The software for that is in the 6 digits. But, we are working closely with the Pro Tour to provide a lot more info and assets to help with the down times that we see. I am REALLY excited for what we have coming up.

Don't get me wrong I think SmashBoxx is awesome and I completely support what they are doing. Can't wait to see your coverage and capabilities expand either.

It's more about having the people there to do all of that on the fly and load it into the stream.

I think TBS is about to start airing a 10-week series on competitive video gaming... and my first thought was, "Hey, if they can be on TV, so can we"... like as I was starting to type this message...

... and then it hit me hard...

Our sport is the same age!!! Pong came out in 1972. So it would appear that competitive video gaming is ahead of Disc Golf as a viable sport for advertisers. I may have to rethink my optimistic position...

Professional video gaming has way more mainstream appeal than disc golf. Professional video gaming is actually getting kind of big, the prize pools are typically huge, exponentially higher than disc golf. Have you ever heard a crowd like this in disc golf?

As a team they may gross over a million, I don't think any individual is there yet.

From what I understand (and I follow League of Legends pretty closely...I'm a nerd.) the better players will pull a solid mid 6-figures between contracts, sponsorships, and their hustle (livestreaming/patreon style stuff).

I do subscribe and regularly watch the LoLeSports channel though, their broadcasts are really good, I'd kill for their budgets on a disc golf tournament...

As long as it's PayPal, I'm in for a couple bucks. It would be a significant lower audience, but 100,000 x $0 is $0

However, would the paid viewing be commercial free? One may expect that... Then you get low audience levels and no ad money.

You can pay for newspaper subscriptions, cable TV subscriptions, internet access, subscription internet websites, and all of those still have advertisements.

As a team they may gross over a million, I don't think any individual is there yet.

DOTA 2 in Asia grosses close to that with sites paying tons of money for top pro's to stream in addition to their salary, sponsor money and winnings. I think 1-2 players could be close to that million threshold.

From what I understand (and I follow League of Legends pretty closely...I'm a nerd.) the better players will pull a solid mid 6-figures between contracts, sponsorships, and their hustle (livestreaming/patreon style stuff).

I do subscribe and regularly watch the LoLeSports channel though, their broadcasts are really good, I'd kill for their budgets on a disc golf tournament...

The winners of the last couple of "The International" Dota 2 tournament have taken home over a million a piece. According to http://www.esportsearnings.com/players there are 11 players to already break that threshold.

Hey Jamie just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your commentary work on the lead card video. It was very easy to listen to, and it was great that you didn't try to pack too much into your commentary. Really strong work.

The winners of the last couple of "The International" Dota 2 tournament have taken home over a million a piece. According to http://www.esportsearnings.com/players there are 11 players to already break that threshold.

WOW. Thanks for that link!

I didn't realize DOTA 2 was so popular in China, I feel like it's the opposite here (LoL > DOTA2 in popularity)

I was under the impression that Riot and League of Legends was far and away the most popular game.

very cool...now back to peeping the MSI coverage :D

Hey Jamie just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your commentary work on the lead card video. It was very easy to listen to, and it was great that you didn't try to pack too much into your commentary. Really strong work.

Thanks! I was watching the PGA Championship at Quail Hollow closely because my high school basketball teammate is Andrew Loupe (was hoping he'd take it down, but 4th is a great showing). I thought to myself "I'm going to try the Costas/Faldo vibe next time"

Great card though at Konopiste, makes it easy.