• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Maybe they should stop calling their discs by what theyre supposed to do and just have stock names. IE jackal, psyscho, craze.... since they are usually wrong with the naming

linkinparkervii said:
Maybe they should stop calling their discs by what theyre supposed to do and just have stock names. IE jackal, psyscho, craze.... since they are usually wrong with the naming
I don't know, they've been pretty close actually. P1 Putter is self explanatory, P2 Pro Putter is accurate since most pros seem to like the added overstability, MD1 and MD2 are indeed mid ranges so... yeah, GM Greater Midrange fits because it is quite fast for a mid range, the original CD Control Driver was indeed a great control disc, the mold change ruined it though, PD and PD2 Power Drivers are definitely fitting, DD and DD2 Distance Drivers likewise, FD Fairway Driver fits also because it is indeed a fairway driver first and foremost despite the distance potential, and even the TD is at it's best as an understable driver, it just requires a bit of beating in (some are out of the box understable though, definitely). In the realm of understable drivers the TD though is definitely on the more stable side, but that's actually the exact reason I like it. It doesn't really like to fade much and rides the turn great, and also isn't terribly touchy so it's harder to accidentally burn and turn.

I agree with jubu. The TD has plenty of turn it just happens slowly. It has a real smooth turnover that lasts most of the flight without much fear of the accidental roller.

For me the JLS is a slightly understable fairway driver (probably agree with joes rating). The TD has much more distance potential than the JLS. Thrown softly the ratings could be correct for the TD but it can handle more power and would be rated completely different when thrown harder. Think slightly more hss roadrunner with practically no fade.

My 175 S-TD has a fair amount of turn. I really have to think clean release and extra spin. On a flat throw is goes pretty far with a decent fade. My ce jls aren't quite as touchy, so even though it takes more effort to go the same distance, they're in the bag.

I need a go far and turn right for long range shots that I can't reach with my flick, perhaps I should try the C-line TD so I can lean on it a little more... instead of practicing :roll:

What's the recommend for the C-line (+rim; production run; CFR; clear; opaque; flat; domey; other; Sidewinder)?

Both the regular ones (unless they've made new ones all of them are from the CFR run anyway, just stamped with a production stamp in some cases) and the +C-TD's are nice, and I have both in my bag. Regular C-TD's are the least stable on the whole (exceptions exists, as always) so I use them for turning shots, the higher PLH stiff S-TD's are great for straight shots while I wait for them to beat in more, and the +C-TD's are pretty much in between those two.

I haven't thrown the TD extensively so I don't fully know, but how much headwind can a TD withstand? Say around 15 mph?

sunspot said:
I haven't thrown the TD extensively so I don't fully know, but how much headwind can a TD withstand? Say around 15 mph?

It could if you threw it like 300' low line drive power for calm weather. Or 250'.

sunspot said:
The stable ones could handle that with only a bit of hyzer, but the understable ones not that much. Well, obviously they can handle it, but you need to start adding hyzer.

That is if you're wanting to go straight, if you want to turn them over and go sideways then it's just a matter of practice, like with any understable driver when thrown into a headwind.

jubuttib said:
Yep, the TD is essentially a beefy Roadrunner.

Jewdy said:
For me the JLS is a slightly understable fairway driver (probably agree with joes rating). The TD has much more distance potential than the JLS. Thrown softly the ratings could be correct for the TD but it can handle more power and would be rated completely different when thrown harder. Think slightly more hss roadrunner with practically no fade.

Hunh, I always thought you had to have like 375-400' power to throw a roadrunner.

jubuttib said:
sunspot said:
The stable ones could handle that with only a bit of hyzer, but the understable ones not that much. Well, obviously they can handle it, but you need to start adding hyzer.

That is if you're wanting to go straight, if you want to turn them over and go sideways then it's just a matter of practice, like with any understable driver when thrown into a headwind.

Thanks.

I've decided to use the TD as my primary driver for shots from 350-400, which would be a better complement, Cyclone or Leopard? These are the only two slower FW drivers that I have on hand that's why I list them.

You apparently have access to high PLH S-TD's if you're considering using them as your primary driver. They're not exactly rare but the more understable ones outnumber them by far from what I've seen. =)

Despite everything the TD is still at it's heart an understable driver, so I'd pair it with something that can handle a bit of abuse. Personally I use the PD. Out of those two I guess I'd go with the Cyclone.

jubuttib said:
You apparently have access to high PLH S-TD's if you're considering using them as your primary driver. They're not exactly rare but the more understable ones outnumber them by far from what I've seen. =)

Despite everything the TD is still at it's heart an understable driver, so I'd pair it with something that can handle a bit of abuse. Personally I use the PD. Out of those two I guess I'd go with the Cyclone.

The numbers i gave were for a flat release no flip and jub is right about needed initial hyzer at higher power levels. I have 3 Cyclones that deviate from the norm according to others. And no good ones!!! Grr. Leos seem consistent.

jubuttib said:

I'll probably try to hunt down a stable TD or two. I probably throw a predator or destroyer if I need more hyzer or if there is significant wind. I could probably power down on the TD and cover the shots of the cyclone. If I did that I could use the Leo for finesse shots. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

jubuttib said:

I'll probably try to hunt down a stable TD or two. I will probably through a predator or destroyer if I need more hyzer or if there is significant wind. I could probably power down on the TD and cover the shots of the cyclone. If I did that I could use the Leo for finesse shots. I'll try it out and see how it goes.