• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

jtbingster2 said:
Just got my second C-TD for X-mas. This one is a yellowish 169 that I'm pretty sure has a + rim. I'm hoping that it starts out a little more workable with hyzerflips and turnovers than my 175 non + rim did. I'm looking forward to tossing it. :D
All of the +mold C-TD I've thrown (mostly yellowish, mostly around 170) have been right in between my stiff S-TD's and gummy max weight C and S-TD's.

Speaking of 2nd TD's I also received one for X-Mas and got out to throw it today. Really Gummy S-Line, massive dome. I thought my C-Line might have been a +mold until comparing it to this S-Line and they match up almost identically. S-Line does have a lower PLH though.

Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable? I don't know if I got that correct because my gummy S-Line is def a notch less stable than my C-Line and the C-Line has seen 4-5 months or so of moderately heavy work.

My C-Line is more of a Tunnel Driver turns tightly, flies really straight and finishes with P-PD like fade. The S-Line on the other hand flies like a true Turning Driver that likes to get out wide and fade back on line when the LSS kicks in. To give them Joes Flight chart numbers...C-Line HSS -1/LSS 2...S-Line HSS -2/LSS 2.5.

Speaking of Joe's Flight Chart I think the TD is one of the more overlooked discs on this chart. First of all it's rated a 3(225'-275') for Power Requirement, when all the TD's I've thrown would fly quite overstable in that range. Secondly for the Range Rating I think it's rated much, MUCH too low. Being a speed 10 Disc that glides well I know for a fact this disc has every bit the distance potential as it's Cousin the Road Runner and even the Valkyrie two discs located much higher up the range scale. I know Blake doesn't have the time our resources to test every available variation of a certain disc but I think there's enough trusted reviewers on this site that would agree with my assessment.

Either way looking forward to throwing both discs more =)

himynameismatt said:
Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable?
You've read wrong. The gummy S-Lines are the least stable (well, the CFR C-TD's have a tendency to be pretty understable too). Stiff S-TD's are the most stable ones.

jubuttib said:
himynameismatt said:
Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable?
You've read wrong. The gummy S-Lines are the least stable (well, the CFR C-TD's have a tendency to be pretty understable too). Stiff S-TD's are the most stable ones.

My mind tends to wander when reading through 15+ pages of disc talk. Thanks for the clarification good to know my S-TD is flying as it should be.

akuf tops in radar shots me with almost 10 MPH in exit speed. I have not thrown his gummy S TD, but it is shaped differently from my stiff S TDs. His discs turn over more in general and i have equal spin rate to him so that's how it is supposed to go. Still looking at his gummy S TD in flight it seems flippier than my S TDs and mine fight back earlier and harder. That is after adjusting to seeing how his and my discs fly thrown by him. So it is an estimate, but one that i'm happy to say in public to be reasonably accurate. His gummy S TD fades a little less than my stiff ones.

Can anyone tell me how the recent runs of S-line and C-line TD's are coming out? And are there any non-plus C TD's out there?

I'm looking for a stable TD that can handle a bit of wind, and one that will fly neutral after some seasoning.

There have always been non-plus C-TD's out there, left over from the CFR run and stamped with the stock stamp. They're actually usually even less stable than the S-Lines. If you want a stable TD, you're going to want a stiff S-Line, though it's still not going to be particularly great in the wind. Comes with the convex wing.

jubuttib said:
There have always been non-plus C-TD's out there, left over from the CFR run and stamped with the stock stamp. They're actually usually even less stable than the S-Lines. If you want a stable TD, you're going to want a stiff S-Line, though it's still not going to be particularly great in the wind. Comes with the convex wing.

Thanks. I'm aware of the shape and how it isn't a wind-fighting mold, but I've been told some are manageable into mild headwinds. Is this the case for the more stable TD's?

Oh yeah, the stiff higher PLH S-TD's are definitely manageable into a mild/medium headwind, but you do need to take it into account.

I found a 172 Star TD at a local shop today and put it on hold. I wanted to see if anyone else has thrown one like it.

It seems to be a white champystar blend. I could see the rim through the flight plate clearly, and it wasnt as stiff as a pure star blend. It had very mild dome, and roughly the same PLH as 3 other C TD+'s (which all had less dome than the C/S TD in question). And it wasn't quite as gummy as some pure star TD's ive thrown, but close.

Is this a TD worth picking up for the stable control slot? I hear a lot about C/S TD's as being great, especially red ones.

The red champystar S-TD's are my choice for understable duties. The stiff neutral ones are a whole other animal.

Though comparing my C-TD+ to the neutral S-TD's, the PLH is pretty similar, the S-TD's are a tad higher. Not a big difference though. Stiffer neutral S-TD vs. gummy understable S-TD is a very noticeable difference.

There are obviously plenty of discs that fall between the extremes, I'm just stating the most common trends. =)

I just got finished with my first round with a Rush (171-Pink-flattish) in the bag. It was a lot more understable than I expected. It holds smooth anny well but tends to flatten out of a hyzer quicker than I expected for a disc that isnt broken in. I was hoping for laser line drives out of the box and understability with wear. For now, I find that it overlaps with my River too much to really keep it around. I am not giving up on it yet, just coming back down to earth after getting caught up in the hype machine. I feel like I did when I found out Santa wasn't real or Obama wasn't Jesus. Just kidding, not quite that disappointed.

How far are you throwing it?

But yeah, it is a Turning Driver after all, it's not really meant to be as stable as the stiffer ones are. For your average S-TD I think the official ratings -2 turn and +1 fade are pretty fitting. It should be a damn sight faster than a River though...

It is faster than my River but with the extra glide I get out of my River they are pretty close distance wise. I am throwing them about 375 max (River around 355). You are right ju, if i would have never read any of the posts about how surprisingly stable the TD was it would have been exactly what I expected from the flight ratings.

Most of the "surprisingly stable" stuff was because at first it was touted as being -4 turn and +1 fade, so basically a faster Roadrunner. If you're expecting that then it definitely is surprisingly stable. =)

The stiffer ones are straight when thrown flat, but the regular ones fly on frozen ropes too when hyzerflipped. Great discs in any case.

yearofrolling said:
I found the lighter weight STDs to be quite flippy. But it was winter and I may have been doing it wrong.
All of the stiffer neutral ones I have are between 169-171, though I have seen a couple of max weight ones.

I'm a fan of the royal blue s lines in the upper 160s, they fly pretty much dead straight for me and will hold a turn all the way to the ground if I need it too. I'd like to track down a regular rimmed c line at some point.

Latest posts