• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Loop said:
A little bird told me that the new C-line TD is way more stable than the current ones. Teebird like stability was mentioned in the conversation... :shock:
Nice, I look forward to beating them in. =)

jubuttib said:
Loop said:
A little bird told me that the new C-line TD is way more stable than the current ones. Teebird like stability was mentioned in the conversation... :shock:
Nice, I look forward to beating them in. =)

I would like this to compliment my breaking-in STD.

I got some really stiff and domey 172 yellow STDs today...They have pretty high PLH, so I'm hoping they will be stable compliments to my flippy red 175.

I also felt some QOLSs today and I strongly prefer the feel of the anhyzer top over that Millennium top.

JR said:
How come? To me the QOLS top is tolerable.

I like the feel of the thicker top in my hand...I've thrown OLSs in the past and I can certainly throw them without issue, but I do prefer the feel of the TD.

My 175 red STD is turning out to be much more versatile than I initially expected. Yesterday I was using it in the woods vs. a couple of slower fairway drivers. I was able to imitate the lines I was throwing with those slower discs by powering down on the STD. I thought the PD powered down well, but the TD is proving to power down even better. On precisions shots in the 330-350' range I was able to really work that TD from flat and slight hyzer releases. My buddy was using a Star Leopard and the TD looked very much like a faster version of that in the air, with just a touch more turn and fade. Ultimately the PD was not enough to eliminate my slower drivers completely, but I think the TD/PD combo might just do it for me.

I prefer straighter lines than the STD powered down can provide, but when a straight line much of the way and a moderately hard fade is needed in the end the S TD is indeed money. An added bonus to powering it down is the increased wind tolerance, which is good with the STD, once it's limited to sub 350' range.

JR said:
I prefer straighter lines than the STD powered down can provide, but when a straight line much of the way and a moderately hard fade is needed in the end the S TD is indeed money. An added bonus to powering it down is the increased wind tolerance, which is good with the STD, once it's limited to sub 350' range.
For those straighter lines at shorter distances I just use my most understable S-TD, it won't fade too much. Though preferably I'd try to power up on my MD2, if possible.

For me MD2s are at their best, when they are underpowered. And understable S TDs are too flippy for me taste and still fade more than Rivers and Beasts. Disruptively more. And for the moderately overstable slot they may be too little fading, because i can do nasty things with straight discs on hyzers and harder fading discs with a flat release with the inevitable hard fade. I have not found a hole between those flights yet so the understable and straight S TDs fall in between discs that perform better for me.

JR said:
For me MD2s are at their best, when they are underpowered. And understable S TDs are too flippy for me taste and still fade more than Rivers and Beasts. Disruptively more. And for the moderately overstable slot they may be too little fading, because i can do nasty things with straight discs on hyzers and harder fading discs with a flat release with the inevitable hard fade. I have not found a hole between those flights yet so the understable and straight S TDs fall in between discs that perform better for me.

In my experience the TD does not fade as hard as you are describing (with the exception of the CPLUS molds). I don't notice much more fade than my Rivers...The TD fades MAYBE 5 more feet to the left on a 340' shot. To me that consistent LSS that the TD has is what makes it better for line shaping than a RR.

That is way less fade than, what mine have. GL River head height to 340' does not have much fade at all. Pumped to 400' on suitably low line the River can have no detectable fade. Usually Beasts fade about 15' for me and S TDs 25'. At full power, which in calm conditions is around 380-390' for the S TD and 390-400' for the Beast. With that little distance difference and less fade and similar HSS with the Beast and my high PLH S TDs with some dome it's a no brainer to carry Beasts. Given my preference for straight shots. Or should i say preference on local holes, because there are some wide open holes in one local course, where i love to hyzer. It's a rare fairway here, where a hyzer or flat then marked fade is advantageous. Maybe it is the good results and rare opportunities for such throws locally, that makes me like throwing such shots at FW driver distances, when i rarely can. As a rule around here no way i can toss hyzers for best results.

Does the LSS beat out of high PLH S TDs and are your S TDs flat(tish)? Mine aren't flat or even close to flat. I would not wonder, if flat S TDs faded less than domier ones. Which kinda tickles me to test that theory. I just don't have those kinds of S TDs.

i got an STD today (2 actually). a blue 168 and 172. tossed them both from a stand still in the yard and they seemed to fly dead straight. seemed really comfortable and easy to throw. i'm guessing once they beat in a bit they turn into hyzerflip machines.

Pretty much, yeah. Are they a bit on the stiffer side or pretty gummy?

jubuttib said:
Pretty much, yeah. Are they a bit on the stiffer side or pretty gummy?

I know, that you were adressing dehaas, but you brought up a possible distinction in the S TDs, that may explain, why mine fade more than Beasts, when those of discspeed and dehaas won't. Mine are on the gummy side, but not that gummy, stiffer than QMS by a lot, but noticeably softer than stiffest Star plastic discs or even average Stars.

The difference can be kinda muddled because the gummy ones aren't anywhere near as soft as Star can go, and the stiffer ones aren't exactly the stiffest Star plastic available either. The stiffer ones are just noticeably stiffer than the gummier ones.

jubuttib said:
The difference can be kinda muddled because the gummy ones aren't anywhere near as soft as Star can go, and the stiffer ones aren't exactly the stiffest Star plastic available either. The stiffer ones are just noticeably stiffer than the gummier ones.

Have you noticed a difference in LSS relatively to the softness or hardness of the plastic?

The stiffer ones start out very HSS and don't really turn at all. They have some LSS but not much. If you power down on them they do fade considerably, until seasoned enough.

Hmm, mine don't turn so i wonder how much softer S TDs get? Now i'm interested in finding a softer one in the hopes of getting a no/low fade one. Have you seen differences in PLH between stiffer and softer S TDs, that could explain the differences in fading?