• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

I used to have to stable white S-TDs. Not that I'm complaining...
5660872183_1db4158f53_b.jpg

JR said:
The STD i have is deeper red in color. It must be infected then? 8)
Deeper red as in champystar? Used to have only one, now I have three. It's spreading, I need to get it looked at.

Took some advice and just picked up a stiff 173 S TD. I couldn't help but get this thing...sky blue, red metallic stamp. The PLH is exactly the same as the slightly altered 167 C TD I have (almost flat). The guy who first owned my C TD decided to scuff up the micro-bead, making it really unpredictable when thrown with power. I'm hoping this one will be a more stable compliment to my C-line. Time will tell.

173 S-Line TD by FightingTheTide7, on Flickr

C-Line TD by FightingTheTide7, on Flickr

PLH - C-Line TD (L), S-Line TD (R) by FightingTheTide7, on Flickr

jub: Way darker red than champy star. Lucky there's no pus yet. Do your darker red STD have a lower PLH and flip easily? Like mine.

The dark red champystars I have aren't really that flippy but you can turn them easily enough. For shots needing a flippy disc I use a "concrete wall conditioned" champystar. =)

Yeah, but my dark reds are champystar so I can only comment on those. =)

I will be heading down to Wall Doxey state park in MS today and they have a gob of the S TD's. If I want a more stable one, I want flatter and stiff. If I want a floppies one, less stiff with some dome. Is this accurate???

Tossin' in Memphis said:
I will be heading down to Wall Doxey state park in MS today and they have a gob of the S TD's. If I want a more stable one, I want flatter and stiff. If I want a floppies one, less stiff with some dome. Is this accurate???
My stiff stable ones are just about as domey as my understable ones, so I wouldn't count on that. If you want more stable just compare the PLHs since you're going to the store anyways.

These things really hold whatever line you throw them on. There is a 243' hole at my home course that requires a steep hyzer. Thrown too close to flat, and you will hit trees on other side of the fairway. Too stable and you end up short and in some trees on the left. On a high, steep hyzer (past 30 degrees, about 30 feet high) my stiff TD carries the line and still has tons of forward momentum, fading late enough land a birdie almost every time.

A few holes later I need a slight uphill anhyzer that holds a line to 250'. It sticks to the right turn and lands me another birdie. Im pretty stoked on this disc.

I'm going to try the TD and Eagle-X and see what kind of pairing this is going to be. I think it's going to be a good one.

The TD has not made the bag...In the end I simply could not justify carrying it when I have so many nice PDs across the entire stability spectrum. I found that where the PD is a tweener disc between a fairway and distance driver due to it's speed and distance, the TD goes even farther with more glide and is even more confusing. I would rather have a disc like the TD with a 2.0 or 2.1cm rim so that it was a pure turning distance driver, and then it would overlap with the PD a lot less. I think that's the biggest problem with Discmania's lineup of slower drivers...The PD ended up so versatile that the similar speed CD/TD overlap with various versions of the PD in various states of wear.

I'm confused about the nomenclature of this disc. "Turning Driver" had me thinking about hyzer flip to flat or beyond, with little fade. To me, "turning" means that the disc will continue to precess and keel over to the right when thrown off the tee, until is slows down during that last leg of its flight. But the roadrunner and TD both seem to be discs that hold lines for a very long time, and to me this means "stable" (as opposed to "over-stable" which fights to fade out strongly).

The PD, on the other hand, is not a disc that is hard to get turning, especially once it is beat in. And it turns beautifully and controllably, which is what we all love about it.

So, why does Discmania make a TD that doesn't turn over, and a PD that turns immaculately? I don't know. But I'll be throwing their discs for a long time, that's for certain.

I think you got the good kind of STD then :) Mine is gummier and i imagine with a lower PLH. I haven't yet seen a stiff high PLH STD in flight or set my softer one side to side to a non flipping STD. Mine flips way more than a RR.

JR said:
I think you got the good kind of STD then :) Mine is gummier and i imagine with a lower PLH. I haven't yet seen a stiff high PLH STD in flight or set my softer one side to side to a non flipping STD. Mine flips way more than a RR.

I had one of those flippy STDs...I couldn't stand it. It was too flat and the precession of the turn was too fast...Domes slow that precession down, so I imagine the only way to get a good "turning" STD is to beat in a domey one. They still flip faster/harder and fade earlier and more than a beat PD.

I did some intial testing with a blue, stable TD today against a red, champ-star PD. The TD is 171 and the PD is 168. PLH is higher on the TD.

The results so far seem to indicate that the TD is slower than the PD. I'll measure the distances on GoogleEarth when I get back from work, but I think I was in the 350 to 390 range. I was able to put the PD out further more consistently. There definitely seems to be some overlap. I'll go again and do some more testing. As of now I'm probably going to be sticking to the PD.

So for someone who hasn't thrown a TD yet, what version/options should I search out to experience the awesomeness that is the TD?

Jeronimo said:
So for someone who hasn't thrown a TD yet, what version/options should I search out to experience the awesomeness that is the TD?

Personally, I know some may disagree, I would skip the TD and use a PD to cover the TD shots. However, I am going to do further testing to see if there is enough difference between the two to see if I should put the TD in the bag.