• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Jeronimo said:
So for someone who hasn't thrown a TD yet, what version/options should I search out to experience the awesomeness that is the TD?
IMHO the situation is bit like with the PD, there are different ones but not really straight out bad ones. My favorites are the max weight champystar S-TDs and the higher PLH stiff and stable ~170 S-TDs.

EDIT: Damn, I need a wider avatar, lots of space under that rank...

Finally found some hot pink s line tds. Perfect dome and gummy. Perfect flight too.im gonna have fun beating one of these in. the pic doesnt do it justice

IMG_20110520_182305.jpg

Booter said:
Finally found some hot pink s line tds. Perfect dome and gummy. Perfect flight too.im gonna have fun beating one of these in. the pic doesnt do it justice

IMG_20110520_182305.jpg
I have two of those. Though they are stiff and used to be white... =)

Fightingthetide said:
jubuttib said:
So yeah, the D-TD is out, filling the flippy slot in Discmania's driver lineup.

I'm gonna resurrect this real quick. Is the D TD out in the US yet?? Or any news of when?

I was just wondering that myself, during my lunchtime round.

my last 2 S-TDs got stupid flippy. I can't throw frozen ropes with them anymore. Probably moving back to the QOLS because that is more durable. I would try a CTD but the slanted rim doesnt work with me.

I decided to revisit the STD today. Ever since I lost my beat red champystar SPD I've been missing it. I need a disc around that speed that can work understable lines from a flat/slight hyzer release. I tried this mold in the past, but I got a red champystar that was too stable, and then a flat yellow one that was too flippy and glideless. Today I grabbed a dayglow 175 with a decent dome and it worked PERFECT. It was a lot like the SPD I lost, but with a little more glide/height retention on the turnover. After reading so many good reviews I knew I owed this mold another shot. I really like it right now, though I know it is going to beat in. So I think I'm going to grab another red champystar to start breaking in as well.

Anyway I think I really like this mold, especially now that I have a River in the bag to do the shorter, slower, glidier lines. It is essentially a PD-L. I would just throw PPDs, but damn they are inconsistent and I don't like how they have been molding up so flat in general. The TD has more glide/flies lower as well. To hell with minimalism...I'm Feldberging up my bag. :lol:

I guess I'm lucky that I have a bunch of early/domey/stable p-PDs to last me a while that I have no reason to carry a TD. I tried the c-TD for a bit but it didn't really jive with me at all. It seemed like you had to throw it pretty hard for it to get any distance (it got squirrelly when thrown hard) much and lacked the glide of the PDs, maybe this is just a c-TD thing as I have never thrown a s-TD (or maybe I got duds). I'd rather have a slower disc to do the things I wanted from the TD so I put my old SE leopard back in my bag and things are great. I also have a few beat s-PDs that I feel a LOT more comfortable with than any of the TDs I've thrown.

My yellow 175 sTD flies 15-20% longer than my glidy xBuzzz that has lost almost all of its will to fade from a long flatish turnover. A little more height and a slight left to right crosswind pushes my sTD way right for big gliding D... be careful.

It might make the bag as I'm starting to open up a distance gap between my birds and my distance drivers and I like how it flies stable to understable on low lines.

Probably the last thing I'd ever complain about my TDs would be lack of glide or having to throw them hard...

uNicedmeMan said:
I guess I'm lucky that I have a bunch of early/domey/stable p-PDs to last me a while that I have no reason to carry a TD. I tried the c-TD for a bit but it didn't really jive with me at all. It seemed like you had to throw it pretty hard for it to get any distance (it got squirrelly when thrown hard) much and lacked the glide of the PDs, maybe this is just a c-TD thing as I have never thrown a s-TD (or maybe I got duds). I'd rather have a slower disc to do the things I wanted from the TD so I put my old SE leopard back in my bag and things are great. I also have a few beat s-PDs that I feel a LOT more comfortable with than any of the TDs I've thrown.

I shared your position in the past, but lack of available good PPDs and seemingly sound design of the TD kept me from writing it off completely. The first STD I bought was more HSS than some of my PDs, so although it was a decent disc, it did not fit in my bag. Then I bought a pretty flat mushy yellow STD...and it was really flippy and didn't glide too well. I then tested CTDs, and I experienced very mixed results. I came to the conclusion that the TD mold does not feel right to me in the with the PLUS slanted rim. I finally found a run of STDs that fly like I knew they could. They have just a little high speed turn and then pan out and fade forward. They hold their altitude on these shots better than any seasoned PD, so they are capable of better low ceiling drives. These STDs really feel like PD-Ls and I'm pretty sure they are going to stick in my bag.

That just got me thinking...What if Discmania made a PD top/FL bottom? I think that disc would be badass! We should get on Jussi M with this idea.

discspeed said:
That just got me thinking...What if Discmania made a PD top/FL bottom? I think that disc would be badass! We should get on Jussi M with this idea.
I'm thinking CD2.

jubuttib said:
Probably the last thing I'd ever complain about my TDs would be lack of glide or having to throw them hard...

I probably have some duds or maybe I just don't jive with the + rim. Perhaps when I run out of good p-PDs I'll revisit this mold, most likely in S plastic to avoid the + rims.

My local shoP received both an SPD and STD in this killer muted blue color...will be returning for one or both. It isn't blue or baby blue....beautiful "soft" sort of blue...you guys know what I'm talking about? Anyone thrown them?

Like this?

Fightingthetide said:

Nope. Never thrown 'em.

:D juuust kidding. Not sure if that is the exact color you are talking about. Mine is a bit on the stiff side and slightly flat on top. It's pretty stable and likes forehand shots better than my other TD. I haven't been throwing them recently since slowing down my bag, but I am thinking about trying them out again sometime in the near future. It pretty much held the line you put it on, with a dependable fade, when thrown under 350'. Anhyzer stays anhyzer most of the flight. Hyzer stays hyzer with little to no flip.

The STD is quickly becoming an important tool in my bag. I've got a sort of gummy 175 red champystar, and it is befitting of the name turning driver. It doesn't have a ton of high speed turn, but enough to hold an anny at most speeds and needs a little hyzer to fly straight over 330'. It just seems to really work next to my PDs, and it is more versatile for line shaping than PPDs and other TDs I've thrown.

I've only seen non see through STDs. Both turning kinds with lower PLH and straight ones with a higher PLH. Not large differences at all in dome height and IIRC just detectable difference in wing shape.

JR said:
I've only seen non see through STDs. Both turning kinds with lower PLH and straight ones with a higher PLH. Not large differences at all in dome height and IIRC just detectable difference in wing shape.

The one I reference above is not nearly as transparent as the 172 stiffer red one I initially tested.

The red 175 I'm using now has noticeably more glide than the dayglow yellows I have in the same weight. I'm really looking forward to non PLUS mold CTDs.

A little bird told me that the new C-line TD is way more stable than the current ones. Teebird like stability was mentioned in the conversation... :shock:

Latest posts