• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

JR said:
Hmm, mine don't turn so i wonder how much softer S TDs get? Now i'm interested in finding a softer one in the hopes of getting a no/low fade one. Have you seen differences in PLH between stiffer and softer S TDs, that could explain the differences in fading?

I'll definitely check tonight after work. Apparently the gummy blue likes to turn. My stiff reds do not like to turn unless powered hard.

I'll see if I can't give a description.

jubuttib said:
Of course there's a difference. The stiffer ones are higher PLH.

Makes gummier ones sound even more interesting :) I wonder if stiffer S TDs break in to less LSS? And if HSS stays or not.

My favorite STD right now is a fairly flat and gummy red 175. This one does fade less than my stiff and domey 171s and my dayglow 175s that have a similar shape. It is very workable at fairway distances and I've been throwing the heck out of it. So far a powered down TD is the best solution I've come up with in my last 5 years searching for the right fwy driver for my style of play, but it will take a couple more months of evaluation to say this for sure.

the two that i picked up are flatter and stiffer plastic. i've got 2 c lines coming my way too, are those considerably more stable?

dehaas said:
the two that i picked up are flatter and stiffer plastic. i've got 2 c lines coming my way too, are those considerably more stable?
The regular rimmed C-Lines are usually the least stable out of the box, along with the gummy S-Lines. The slanted C-Lines are kind of in-between the neutral stiffer ones and the more understable gummies.

jubuttib said:
dehaas said:
The regular rimmed C-Lines are usually the least stable out of the box, along with the gummy S-Lines. The slanted C-Lines are kind of in-between the neutral stiffer ones and the more understable gummies.

So I have a Slanted C-Line that is very straight with just a hair of turn. If I'm looking for a TD that's better at "S" curves what's best? I'm not looking for the most understable one, just the one that has the most turn yet still fades back. Valk or Eagle-L like if that makes sense?

From what I've seen the slanty C's have be sharpest end fade, while still turning easier than the stiff S-lines. The TD really isn't that understable unless beaten, it's more of a straight disc, and usually likes to pick a direction and go there.

If you want it to turn over and still come back at the end you'd probably be better off getting a CD or a mid weight gummy P-PD.

let's see if I can kill this thread like I did one at dgcr by posting this:

Hmmm. As it seems like you lot know a lot more about this disc than me, I'll leave it up to you to decide what role my discs should assume. I've got:

~170g S-CD
~170g S-TD (the stiff kind)
175g C-TD (3rd run)

As of now, I'd say the CD is the most understable, but like you said, it tends to come back at the end if you give it the room to do that.

What would you suggest I do with these discs, what roles should they assume in my bag. I would like a dependably understable disc, but a consistent one at that. Which of these discs should I beat into taking that slot? What should the others do? Thankyou already

(disclaimer: buying new discs should not be an option. I'd much rather work with what I've got)

you tell me what I should do with them TDs! Beat them to hell until they get nice and understable? :)

3rd run C-TD's you say? Are those the new regular rimmed ones? I haven't had a chance to test those yet, how do they fly? Someone mentioned that they might be more stable than earlier TD's.

Anyway, the stiff S-TD should be great for all sorts of neutral shots if you power it, and fade slightly if you don't huck it quite as hard. As you use it it'll start to season into a great little hyzerflip disc, and on to a great understable driver.

jubuttib said:
3rd run C-TD's you say? Are those the new regular rimmed ones?

yep, the 3rd run ADGC C-td that I've got is a regular rim one. probably slightly more overstable than its brothers but with enough power, not so much. That just may be the issue:

jubuttib said:
Anyway, the stiff S-TD should be great for all sorts of neutral shots if you power it, and fade slightly if you don't huck it quite as hard.

With my current form/power (max d lines up to 370', but consistent controlled d more like 300') I don't think these disc are quite doing what they are meant to.

jubuttib said:
As you use it it'll start to season into a great little hyzerflip disc, and on to a great understable driver.

That's just the thing. I would use it more if it were more understable, but it will only get more understable with more use :lol: I may just beat it intentionally when spring comes around. Why not get a more understable disc to begin with? Because when I get these ones dialed in all nice, they should last me a loooong time. If I get one that is understable straight away (D-TD?) I fear it may pass into flippyland too soon.

I don't share your problem, since I like the neutral S-TD's for straight shots and use them for that. But there is an easy answer: Field practice. =)

I'm preferring my max weight flatter and flippier STDs...The more stable ones overlap with my seasoned SPDs a little too much, though they are still interesting discs. I'm really looking forward to the new 3rd run CTDs to be more stable compliments to my STDs anyway.

I saw a flatter gummy S TD yesterday and the owner said it's flippy. I saw none like it at the local store, when i bought S TDs on two occasions. Do you know if the flatter gummier ones are a one off run or will they be available through the years? I'm not keen on discs, that are OOP and hard to find. So far i've come across three kinds S TDs. Non flipping taller stiffer Star, flippy stiffer low PLH ones and the reportedly flippy and low fade gummies that are flat. With consistency like that it makes me wonder how the TD differs from the PD other than in higher speed and longer distance. Both seem to come in so different flavors, that you must know, what you want and be lucky enough to find one. Sure some online vendors pick to description, but it is a crap shoot, if they know, what you are looking for from seeing the kind you need before. And the best PDs for me aren't available now. That makes me really uncomfortable.

JR said:
I saw a flatter gummy S TD yesterday and the owner said it's flippy. I saw none like it at the local store, when i bought S TDs on two occasions. Do you know if the flatter gummier ones are a one off run or will they be available through the years? I'm not keen on discs, that are OOP and hard to find. So far i've come across three kinds S TDs. Non flipping taller stiffer Star, flippy stiffer low PLH ones and the reportedly flippy and low fade gummies that are flat. With consistency like that it makes me wonder how the TD differs from the PD other than in higher speed and longer distance. Both seem to come in so different flavors, that you must know, what you want and be lucky enough to find one. Sure some online vendors pick to description, but it is a crap shoot, if they know, what you are looking for from seeing the kind you need before. And the best PDs for me aren't available now. That makes me really uncomfortable.
It's Innova making these discs, you're never going to know what the next run is going to be like anyways... It's the same with every other disc in the world. =)

Unfortunately the staple DM discs PD and TD suffer from more frequent and wild changes than most other molds. Innova included.

I've been struggling to flex my teebirds through tight wooded alleys so before last weekends tourney I dug out my field thrown 9/10 175 S-TD that I bought this spring. I'm going to have to read this thread as I'm considering buying a C-TD in hopes that it'll hold onto that slow turn with late LSS to fade and end straightish. I got three birdies on holes I never birdie which helped me win my first Advance Am Master tourney. I can highly recommend the S-TD, at least when newish.

I ordered a new C-TD from DGC Saturday (actually it's a Xmas present but I'm gonna get my mom to let me have it now). I'm pretty stoked!

Worked my TD's a lot today, which is a welcome change since I really don't need them at all on my home course under normal conditions. Worked great for me, falling in love with them all over again.

Just got my second C-TD for X-mas. This one is a yellowish 169 that I'm pretty sure has a + rim. I'm hoping that it starts out a little more workable with hyzerflips and turnovers than my 175 non + rim did. I'm looking forward to tossing it. :D