• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

Joz said:
So here's something odd....

Has anyone come across any Freak S-PDs that look to have a Vulcan-like top? I say Vulcan-like and not Proto-PD top because my proto-top PDs have the Patent# on the bottom; these did NOT. Odd, and needless to say I was not interested. Sucks because I can never find any S-PDs around the Charlotte area, and I don't like to order online because I am extremely picky when it comes to picking out my PDs.

Anyways, I hope Innova hasn't ****** up another disc.
The patent number tooling is in the core piece, not the top piece, so that's doesn't mean much.

If the proto-PDs had the same top as the proto and first run CDs, that shouldn't be anything like a Vulcan top.

Joz said:

Has anyone come across any Freak S-PDs that look to have a Vulcan-like top? I say Vulcan-like and not Proto-PD top because my proto-top PDs have the Patent# on the bottom; these did NOT. Odd, and needless to say I was not interested. Sucks because I can never find any S-PDs around the Charlotte area, and I don't like to order online because I am extremely picky when it comes to picking out my PDs.

Where did you get that S PD in Charlotte? The ones I have seen at PIAS on Pineville Matthews rd. have all been normal looking.

jubuttib said:
Joz said:

The patent number tooling is in the core piece, not the top piece, so that's doesn't mean much.

If the proto-PDs had the same top as the proto and first run CDs, that shouldn't be anything like a Vulcan top.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not that familiar with the pieces used to mold, so that makes sense. It's just that it resembled a proto PD top but had more of a well defined ridge on the top. That and since it didn't have the patent numbers (like the Vulcan destroyers), I assumed there was another goof. They picked this disc up for me directly from Innova east, since it's only 30 minutes away. I wasn't interested as I have been searching for some of the freak stamped PDs that feel and fly like the stack of 1st runs I have. They exist, but damnit they're hard to find.

Lost my favorite P-PD this week. It was my flippy tailwind / anny / roller disc. Have a tourney coming up and need a disc to fill that role, and I don't want to beat a PPD on purpose so would a C-TD fill the role off a beat P-PD?

Tailwind drives, Anny's etc. Would be nice if it could power down to cover some stalker lines as well. 350' ish or so.

himynameismatt said:
Lost my favorite P-PD this week. It was my flippy tailwind / anny / roller disc. Have a tourney coming up and need a disc to fill that role, and I don't want to beat a PPD on purpose so would a C-TD fill the role off a beat P-PD?

Tailwind drives, Anny's etc. Would be nice if it could power down to cover some stalker lines as well. 350' ish or so.

It can almost fill that role. I have both a beat PPD and a CTD in the bag and they both work for the type of shots you're looking for except that the PPD will hold the anny all the way to the ground and the TD will come out of it.

what'shisname said:
himynameismatt said:

It can almost fill that role. I have both a beat PPD and a CTD in the bag and they both work for the type of shots you're looking for except that the PPD will hold the anny all the way to the ground and the TD will come out of it.
Awesome I actually like for my Anny's to Flex back a bit. Forces me to hit lower lines so the disc is on the ground before it flex's too far back.

what'shisname said:
yeah, I'd love to try a DTD out but I don't feel like paying to ship D plastic across the ocean.

Someone on here recently did a review of one and said it was too flippy and hard to control once it got beat in. That makes sense, considering how flippy a P PD can get. I personally wouldn't want one unless I was playing a tree-less course.

Fightingthetide said:
what'shisname said:
yeah, I'd love to try a DTD out but I don't feel like paying to ship D plastic across the ocean.

Someone on here recently did a review of one and said it was too flippy and hard to control once it got beat in. That makes sense, considering how flippy a P PD can get. I personally wouldn't want one unless I was playing a tree-less course.
Not enough, what you want is a groundless course.

The D-TD is seriously understable out of the box and the D plastic used in them is really soft. Just throwing them around on a grassy field will break them faster than you'd like. They're okay as a first driver, for a while, but they'd be much better if they started out more stable, at least similar to premium TD. The D-MD2 is a great example of how that can work out.

Added a 173 c-td to the bag today. I have to say I'm surprised how long this disc is. I was getting it out to 360' with relative ease in hyzer flips that snapped flat turned a bit then locked into a frozen rope they seemed to defy gravity as they glide for days.

Secondly turning driver is a good description for it. But someone looking for the understability of RR or SW will probably be disappointed. The C-Line variety IMO is fairly compareable to an eagle-l which I don't neccesarily consider and understable disc.

How is everyone liking the DD2? Im thinking about getting one in either C or S. Are the CDD2's one of the molds that got +'d? If anyones thrown both C and S please compare them for me, thanks

There are days when the P-Lines I have work great and I'm happy with them. Then again there are plenty of off-days too. The S-Lines are more consistent for me, being more overstable, but also shorter. They do have more fade than I'd like for an all out distance disc, but it can be very useful at times. I don't have enough distance to consistently throw these, so I'm moving away from them, but I still rock a flat S-Line for windy distance.

The only C-Line I have is an Asia Open one, and I haven't thrown it that much, but it left me underwhelmed. It was sort of between the S and P in stability and had less glide than either.

From what I've seen and heard there should be no +DD2s.

The DD2 actually worked much better for me last year, I haven't been able to throw as much this year. Less than 15% of the field hours I did last year. The fact still remains that the DD2 doesn't really like straight lines, it always wants to go sideways one way or another.

I would like to petition Discmania to rename the TD to the SD (straight driver) because I've gotten so many in trades locally from people who buy them thinking they are gonna turn and it goes dead straight instead.

Frank Delicious said:
I would like to petition Discmania to rename the TD to the SD (straight driver) because I've gotten so many in trades locally from people who buy them thinking they are gonna turn and it goes dead straight instead.

I'd sign that petition.

Then I'd sign one to get a true turning driver. I keep wanting to go without my Vision and just have the TD's but once every 2 or 3 rounds I find myself in a situation where I really need something as easy to turn as a vision.

I almost gave up on the TD when I first realized how straight it is. It took a while (and Feldberg raving on about them) before I realized what they were for.

Hopefully they'll come out with a TD2 to fill the truly understable premium plastic slot. The D-TD is definitely understable but it also falls to pieces in a round or half.

Latest posts