• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

Flick4D said:
MDP said:
Is it just me or does Discmania plastic feel better than it's Innova equivalents?

The C-PD2 I have definitely feels better than most champion plastic I've felt.

Meh, I don't think the difference in plastic is that great, unless you can come across some of the really sweet tacky Freak S-PDs. Those are bad ass, and fly the same as the First Run Anhyzer Top PDs. Besides that, honestly I think the last tasty Innova plastic I've fondled is that of the first run CFR C-PDs. My C-Line PD2s, DD2s, TDs, and PDs (reg run) seem fairly comparable to recent Champ Destros and Bosses I've won. Can't comment too much on S-Line / Star; not too much of that around these parts.

I don't think the plastic's that different either on champ vs c-line. I like Innova's Pro more than P-line from discmania.

I like the stiffer and more opaque Pro blends that seem to be more common with Innova stuff better than the blends of P-Line I've seen yet, but then again my P-DD's and Pro Destroyers are the same exact blend, even the same exact hue. I hope there will be some of those stiffer Pros available for P-MD2's in the future, the Millennium Aurora MS I got is the same type of stiffer Pro my old Pro Leopard is made out of and feels sublime.

I agree about the Pro blend. My DDs and Destroyers are a very similar blend with big domes. All my PPd's on the other hand were super stiff and just didn't fly like I expected Pro plastic to.

I don't mind the P blends on the PD as that's the only disc (and driver) that I have that plastic in. I definitely like the other Pro blends from Innova though - especially the original SL run in Pro and the Omega AP 1.11 blend is starting to grow on me. I definitely would like to see a PD in R-Pro though. Seriously. I like R-Pro.

BTW, I have three P-PD's in the same blend as my P-DD's and Destroyers, and those things are kick ass. 169, 172 and 175, all started out equally stable and the lighter ones just seasoned faster. The max weight white one is still (after much use) nice and stable, flying like a speed 9 Eagle-X with just a bit of turn and a nice fade. On the other hand I have three DGR P-PD's and one non-DGR P-PD in the stiffer, slicker, shinier P blend, and while those feel good, they beat in way faster and don't really fly like expected.

The S-GM I picked up is surprisingly overstable.

175g teal/blue with a nice dome to it. More overstable than the new KC Rocs I've thrown. Not real resistant to OAT though (similar to a Roc). I'm curious to see how this breaks in.

If it's anything like the overstable s-gm's I've seen it breaks in FAST and gains a bit of flip with nice fade finish.

Yeah, I've thrown some S-GM's that started out almost Drone overstable, but in a week or two they beat into your average S-GM.

I know this has been revisited a number of times, but haven't really found a proper list, just snippets here and there

Could someone with too much time on their hands maybe do a quick writeup on the Discmania discs as to which Innova molds they have pieces of, and if possible, in what order were they introduced (years if possible)? I know there are a number of Discmania experts here.

Kinda like so:
MD1 - original mold? (year???)
PD - anhyzer top + Firebird wing (year???)

Available plastics can be found at www.discmania.net

Just a Discmania freak (pun intended) craving for info... Thx!

Answer to self (after a little more looking around) - for approval dates look here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_081411.pdf

Then add the bottom parts from Innova molds:

CD - Viking, Mar '07
DD - Wraith, Aug '08
DD2 - Katana. Aug '10
PD - Firebird, Jul '08
PD2 - Xcaliber, Dec '10
TD - Roadrunner, Apr '10

GM = Gremlin (both bottom and top)

MD1 = original? Nov '06
MD2 = original? Apr '10

P1 = beadless Aviar = Omega (both bottom and top) Mar '07
P2 = orginal? Mar '07

Amirite? However, the approval dates and release dates for mass production do not always jibe 1:1, both putters were approved at the same time, but wasn't the P2 released much later?

P1 = Beadless Aviar P&A (Omega is a Small Bead)
P2 = Beadless bottom, Aviar-X nose, possibly a spacer to go along with it.

MD1 = Roc or Cobra top? One of the blunter ones anyway. Bottom looks very similar to my Shark but the Shark has a strange notch in the middle of the wing that to my understanding shouldn't be there. Possibly some Sentinel parts? Haven't seen one of those personally, maybe a Millennium guy could chime in.
MD2 = Aurora MS wing, the first run P-MD2's also had Aurora MS top, but the premiums and currently every MD2 has a different top, giving it a blunter nose. +mold core.
GM = Gremlin

(All drivers currently have the Anhyzer top)
CD = Currently Viking wing. The First Runs had a different top and a blunter nose, and from what I have on hand they also seem to have the Valk wing.
TD = Roadrunner wing, some tweaks (wider rim at least), one run had +mold cores.
PD = Firebird wing, some tweaks, protos had the same top as the First Run CD's. One run had +mold cores.
PD2 = XCaliber wing, some tweaks (a wider rim at least)
DD = Wraith wing.
DD2 = Katana wing.

EDIT: Correction, you're definitely right about the Craze CD having the Viking wing, at least mine does. It definitely has the bulge in the wing that can be seen in the profile image of the 2009 Innova catalogue. But to add to the mess, I'm certain I've seen Valkyries with that wing in stores, even in this year. And to add to it even more, my First Run CD's (2 max weight S, 2 max weight D) don't have that bulge and look like straight up Valkyrie wings. Did they change both mold pieces? Edited original post.

well the MD2 is actually from the stingray. and only the latest run of Aurora MS has the micro bead after they changed the stingray bottom. I am curious to see how new runs of the MS mold turn out and if they have the bead

Did not know that. Had one to compare my MD2's to, Stingray bottom it is indeed. Any idea what the new blunter top is?

and the mystery is solved, i've been wondering what the wing was ever since i got it. no you sleuths find out what the top is.

Jbuttib,

Might I ask you some questions.

So I got my stash from Discmania and I was looking at/feeling/fondling all the discs. I got some questions for you on the MD2's please.

So I have -
1) 3 USDGC C-MD2's (these are the flat first runs in that nice gripply plastic) Start out pretty stable and then break into what I would like to call a fast seasoned shark.
2) 2 Production C-MD2's (1 Yellow 176 flat, 1 Orange 176 Domed) - Could you let me know the differences between the flat and domed? I've only ever thrown flat C-MD2's
3) 2 Production S-MD2's (1 Yellow 176 Domed, 1 Orange 176 Domed) - Could you let me know the differences between the domed C-line MD2's and the domed S-Line MD2's
4) 1 Christmas Stamped P-MD2 (Orange 180, very very small dome) - This one is nice and almost comet like, just faster. Holds all lines, but now pops up from hyzer if thrown hard (she's used)

Tell me what you think. I'd like to get some of these in the bag soon before my next tournament in less than 2 weeks.

Trey133 said:
Jbuttib,

Might I ask you some questions.

So I got my stash from Discmania and I was looking at/feeling/fondling all the discs. I got some questions for you on the MD2's please.

So I have -
1) 3 USDGC C-MD2's (these are the flat first runs in that nice grippy plastic) Start out pretty stable and then break into what I would like to call a fast seasoned shark.
2) 2 Production C-MD2's (1 Yellow 176 flat, 1 Orange 176 Domed) - Could you let me know the differences between the flat and domed? I've only ever thrown flat C-MD2's
3) 2 Production S-MD2's (1 Yellow 176 Domed, 1 Orange 176 Domed) - Could you let me know the differences between the domed C-line MD2's and the domed S-Line MD2's
4) 1 Christmas Stamped P-MD2 (Orange 180, very very small dome) - This one is nice and almost comet like, just faster. Holds all lines, but now pops up from hyzer if thrown hard (she's used)

Tell me what you think. I'd like to get some of these in the bag soon before my next tournament in less than 2 weeks.
I actually haven't thrown that wide a variety of different kinds of C-MD2, only a few domey CFR C-Lines (yellow and orange) and my current lurvly pinks. Didn't really hit it off with the domey ones because the plastic wasn't that nice, the dome didn't feel that good in my hand (base plastic seems to work for me even when domey), they had more fade than I wanted when new (didn't bother to find out how they beat in) and they slowed down really fast compared to the flatter R-Pros I was throwing then. The flat ones on the other hand instantly felt yummy, even in -15 Celsius weather. With the flash still there they had a touch more fade than I liked, but after deflashing they've been just pure money.

1) Are they sort of gummy? A bit opaque maybe? The C-MD2's I use are flat and gummy, and that sort seems to be the one favored by Discmania team members too.

2) See above. Also check the PLH. I think Varsi used his domey orange C-MD2 for a while and said that it flies like an MD2, eventually at least. Haven't seen him throwing that for ages though, he's been rocking an old orange P-Line lately. I still prefer the flat ones though.

3) The difference will be in the PLH. Both are just about equally fast and glidey from what I've seen. I never really liked my domey S-MD2 that much either. Come to think of it, I've yet to particularly like any domey MD2, apart from the D-Lines. The old, almost flat orange P-MD2's that were mismolded (they have a more concave wing than any other MD2) are easily the best around, next come the flat C-Lines, after that the D-Lines that can be beaten to understable really nicely (the older red P-MD2's also fit here), followed by the current domey P-Lines (they're not bad, but I'm just not as comfortable with them as I'd like to be. Definitely usable after seasoning though), and lastly we have all domey MD2's. They just don't seem to hold lines as well and slow down faster, and I can't seem to get my anhyzers dialed in with them. Though this is most likely due to the fact that I got so used to how the old P-Lines flew.

4) Christmas stamp (old), small dome and orange? GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Seriously, I'm willing to pay or trade for that Christmas P-MD2.

Right now the christmas PMD2 and my flat C's are in the bag. I was thinking about throwing in an S-MD2 to see if I can't beat her up.

1) The USDGC C-MD2's are gummy, opaque, grippy, super flat, and AMAZING. I kinda thought that these were the real deals :)
2) So far the domed up ones are super beef and very short rage compared to my beat in C's and that Pline
3) I'll have to sit down and take a look at the PLH's in each. I'm interested to see which one might be less stable.
4) Haha! I don't think I can good sir. The old P's really are amazing :)

Trey133 said:
1) The USDGC C-MD2's are gummy, opaque, grippy, super flat, and AMAZING. I kinda thought that these were the real deals :)
Yep, pretty much what I expected.
Trey133 said:
4) Haha! I don't think I can good sir. The old P's really are amazing :)
Only the orange ones, I'm afraid. And next to impossible to find. And even if you manage to find them second hand, no-one will want to part with them.

Thankfully all of my Discmania promo-work here got me some that were miss-stamped with the S-Line stamp.

EDIT: Went out to the field today to try out my LEGENDa, but took my Axes, Z Comet and a seasoned orange P-MD2 with me. Hadn't thrown that thing for ages, and right from the get go it just clicked. It flew like a hybrid between the Comet and the Axis, except a bit faster, and was more OAT and wind resistant, AND with better grip. It's just such a damn shame they're so rare.

Latest posts