• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

I got the OK to add a stable mid to my bag. I have 1-2 slots available in the bag. Thinking about going with the C-MD2 rather than my 4x Kenny. The flat opaque yellow ones I had were nice and stable and I liked they feel a lot like the QMS. Just got a CFR C-MD2 off a coworker(Big D stamp) and it feels pretty sweet(these are the good ones right?). Thinking that should cover my mid lineup. QMS x3, C-MD2 x2, Q-Sentinel x1(or 2).

All of the flat and opaque C's I've seen have been "the good ones", you should be OK.

So yeah I think I know the tops to the MD2...if no one else had looked at them.

There are definitely 2 C-MD2 tops. The CFR C-line is definitely the same mold parts in the current run of Aurora MS(Shark top + Stingray bottom). The CFR ones are basically QMS 2.0(2.0 because of the new stingray bottom not on current stock of QMS yet).

The production stock stamps look like a Roc top. So it is basically the old Aurora MF + micro bead from new stingray bottom. Same old discs, new names fellas.

I compared the Aurora MS, CFR MD2, Stock C-MD2, and S-MD2 based on store stock and my own stash

edit: I do see that Jub covered the part about the MS previously but wanted to know what the new top is. It looks a lot like a Rancho top.

Jub I am curious...if you like the original top P-MD2...the current run of Aurora MS is the exact same disc. Same top with the new stingray bottom(micro bead). Just buy those, that should be cheaper

zj1002 said:
Jub I am curious...if you like the original top P-MD2...the current run of Aurora MS is the exact same disc. Same top with the new stingray bottom(micro bead). Just buy those, that should be cheaper
Not quite. At least the ones I have on hand have different core pieces, the Aurora is Ontario tooling and all of my MD2's, from the oldest FR P's to the newest production C's, are Rancho tooling. Is the Aurora MS rim supposed to be slanted on purpose? The MD2 definitely is a +mold by design. Secondly, I mainly like the orange FR P-MD2's, not any other colors. The orange ones molded up with a much more concave wing profile and fly differently from the others. I'm not 100% all of the orange ones are like this, but every single one I've seen in any weight has been, and it's possible that the other colors could have had some like that, but none of the ones I've seen in any weight has been. Additionally they were made of an excellent blend of R-Pro that has proven itself durable and very very grippy.

I have thrown the Aurora MS and it is indeed very close to the red FR P-MD2's. Apart from the core piece and plastic they're same disc, and share the same flaws. Both turn a bit too easily, and I'd only use them slightly beaten in and in the understable slot. The MS is a very Star-like blend of Pro, which I do like, but it seems to have added a bit of unwanted fade to it, at least when new. It was easier for me to get an s-curve out of it than a totally straight flight.

When you said that the old CFR C-MD2's had the old top, I had to check my old S-Line again, because I remembered that it was more blunt than in the orange P-Lines. And indeed it is, a bit, but it's definitely the old top, not the new blunt one. And the problem I had with the S-Line was exactly the same as I had with the Aurora MS. It usually had more fade than I wanted, and it turned on me more often than the orange P-Lines. More of an s-curve disc, whereas the orange ones just liked to fly straight.

EDIT: And the problem with the old orange P-Lines isn't price, it's the simple fact that I can't find a single one of them anywhere. =)

I switched from power grip to a stack grip and got all mids and putters to behave way better, than with index finger scraping before. More consistent disc pivot straightened out everything reducing initial hyzer requirement. This was the first time i was able to get golfable results at more than 270' power out of my SG 177 MD 1. No need for initial hyzer now and no flipping at all even in mild headwinds. I have to see how that changes, when i encounter more wind. All my previous results are antiquated now, when i don't rip so fast with the arm, but still quite snappily in the end. Repeatable accurate distance has increased with lesser power generation. Joy! I'm quite happy with the MD 1 to 300' or a little more. I still am better punching the Star Wedge harder more like a driver than the SG MD 1. Go figure, but the Wedge needs initial hyzer to flip to flat at a wide distance range.

JR said:
I switched from power grip to a stack grip and got all mids and putters to behave way better.

This! My get-distance-quick-scheme for the summer of 2011. Totally made throwing the slower stuff easier. I use a stacked fork grip (index gripping rim, pinching the thumb, others piled on the rim/plate) but have also been trying out whaddayacallit, kind of an inverse heavy metal sign (you know, middle and ring extended, index and pinkie on the inside of rim sort of) grip. :lol:

maskedavenger said:
JR said:
I switched from power grip to a stack grip and got all mids and putters to behave way better.

This! My get-distance-quick-scheme for the summer of 2011. Totally made throwing the slower stuff easier. I use a stacked fork grip (index gripping rim, pinching the thumb, others piled on the rim/plate) but have also been trying out whaddayacallit, kind of an inverse heavy metal sign (you know, middle and ring extended, index and pinkie on the inside of rim sort of) grip. :lol:

Gonna try that grip too. Have you tried to stick the fingers in more vertically and using just the outer part of the ring and index fingers inside the disc?

maskedavenger said:
JR said:

Drop the ring finger on the rim, and keep the middle finger extended and you have Seppos grip for middy's and drivers.

I find that although I initially hold the disc powergripped, I push my middle finger out right before the pull across the chest. Pretty interesting.

maskedavenger said:
You lost me. Vertical? Outer part? Difficult to understand in mere words. :)

Face the target and raise the arm straight pointing at the target with the disc in the hand. I think that for most the natural tendency is to put the fingers diagonally on the rim of the disc. That is the finger tips point backwards over your head. In this way the disc is closer to the top of the index finger. If you align the fingers differently so, that the fingers point closer to upwards (doesn't need to be pointed totally up -it would most likely be detrimental). This way the finger tips push the bottom of the flight plate up and separate the rim/wing corner from the top of the index finger eliminating scraping and OAT from that cause.

Wooo!

Package arrived today. Got some sweet Discmania shorts, two shirts, and a bunch of discs. Mostly S-Lines. I'm super excited about the D-P2s. Wish they were a bit more stiff, but the plastic feels great and I'm not a true push putter so I can handle a little flex.

No P-MD2s or P-PDs unfortunately, but I really like the feel of the S-MD2s (especially the orange swirly one) they sent and as long as they hold anhyzers I'm set (I can flick mids pretty well so I don't usually need big turnover shots).

Now I need to read through the TD and CD threads...

MDP said:
No P-MD2s or P-PDs unfortunately, but I really like the feel of the S-MD2s (especially the orange swirly one) they sent and as long as they hold anhyzers I'm set (I can flick mids pretty well so I don't usually need big turnover shots).
Might take a bit of seasoning, but it'll do it eventually.

Shorts! Nice!

I'm jealous!

Also, Picked up a clear C-MD2 with a milky white rim. Super gummy middle, extra sharp flashing, not completely flat but little dome. I haven't felt this plastic yet with the production CMD2s but I like it. Very grippy and sturdy towards the rim. Looks like it'd be a good compliment to my beat in usdgc md2.

maskedavenger said:
Answer to self (after a little more looking around) - for approval dates look here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_081411.pdf

Then add the bottom parts from Innova molds:

CD - Viking, Mar '07
DD - Wraith, Aug '08
DD2 - Katana. Aug '10
PD - Firebird, Jul '08
PD2 - Xcaliber, Dec '10
TD - Roadrunner, Apr '10

GM = Gremlin (both bottom and top)

MD1 = original? Nov '06
MD2 = original? Apr '10

P1 = beadless Aviar = Omega (both bottom and top) Mar '07
P2 = orginal? Mar '07

Amirite? However, the approval dates and release dates for mass production do not always jibe 1:1, both putters were approved at the same time, but wasn't the P2 released much later?

Last year we got 4 new molds. What is the current rumor, which types of DM discs are we to expect in the future, and what will be the timeframe? (any chance to get a new mold in Santa's bag of toys? Or must we wait till springtime, when it's much nicer to throw anyway?) And most importantly, will it have another controversial monster stamp on it and what will it be called?

Speculate away.

The CD currently has the Viking wing, but the FR's had a more constant curvature wing, probably from the Valkyrie. MD2 has the current small beaded wing from the Stingray. First runs had the same top and wing as the current Aurora MS, but were +molds, the current top is different. Omegas are small beads (at least all the ones I've ever seen), not beadless. P2 is a beadless Aviar wing with the bulkier Aviar-X top.

I can see four different molds they could come up with to fill up the gaps. In order of my assumed likelihoods they'd be a fairway driver (FD1. They could come up with a couple of these actually), a real understable driver (TD2 or perhaps a P-TD), a more overstable putter (P3) and a truly overstable mid (MD3).

I can see four different molds they could come up with to fill up the gaps. In order of my assumed likelihoods they'd be a fairway driver

I'm putting my eggs all in one basket and saying it will be a Fairway Driver. The two letter designation being FD or CD2. Mythical creature name..no clue??

Innova is the one with the mythical creatures. Discmania usually has mental states (frenzy, craze, hysteria, rush), character types (fiend, psycho, maniac, freak), state of affairs (chaos) and the one legacy creature, gremlin.

Yes! Bring on the CD2 fairway driver, or TD2 the turning driver that really turns. Call it "Miasma" (rhymes with Meresmaa" and put this guy on it:
miasma_9.jpg

:lol: :mrgreen: :oops:

Latest posts