• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

I played dubs with Thommie yesterday and he parked a hole...385..uphill..with a new z nuke....twice....

he easily is throwing it further then any other disc in his bag...

So i threw my nuke today into a slight headwind...and it turned hard right....KERPLUNK!

I was hoping it would handle the wind somewhat better.....to me...its 1/2 Boss...1/2 Katana..

booter said:
I would think so frank. I'm gonna take it out to an open course today and see how it fairs up to my xcals. I only threw it 1 time yesterday for shits and it was a huge spike hyzer line that was to a blind basket so I didn't really get a feel for the new flight yet.
booter said:
ok so i took the nuke out today and i love it all over again! the z's def have a touch more hss . i was throwing these in mild head winds with only a slight turn,not much if at all though. the yellow 174 i have has a huge dome on it and it glides like my esp's , very grippy and great. i actually used it as a FH disc for 2 holes and on both it flew easy,straight with a predictable fade. the damn thing hovered like 4' off the ground to the basket. definitely easier to FH than my xcals. looks like itll stick around for a bit. however,just like the esp nukes, the dome will def be different between discs. i have a reddish orange z nuke also and the dome is not as pronounced as the yellow.

Besides easier, how's the distance? I used to FH Xcals, but I've recently switched to Destroyers. I wasn't that impressed with the ESP Nuke because I wanted something that I could throw both FH and BH, and it wasn't cutting it for my FH. Are these just a touch more HSS than the ESP or is it fairly noticeable?

my yellow is definitely a touch more hss than my memorial nukes I had. It held surprisingly well in a mild head wind where if I cranked on my esp in a mild head wind it would turn more than I'd like. As far as if it's further than my xcals it's hard to say, I have a overstable domey xcal and a flat xcal I'd say the znuke I have that's domey flies like the flat xcal but with alot more glide. Normally I don't throw FH for max d.mainly for shorter holes >370 where I don't have a RHBH line. I do like how it flies RHBH. Very similar to a couple esp nukes I had. On the + side,the z plastic is grippy and feels like cfr champ. Doesnt feel like any other z plastic I've fondled

Hm...well it looks like I'll have to get one to at least try out. I mostly like the ESP as a BH disc (it was tough to say since it was a 170...it did turn a little more than I liked), but as FH disc it tanked for me. It would turn and burn any time I tried to exceed 400 feet with it. I'm sure I have plenty of OAT in my FH form since I developed it with an Xcal for a few years, but Destroyers have been working well since I switched to them this year.

Anyone want to compare Z Nukes to an E*Destroyer? Or, if you really want to, a Z Force to the E*D?

I have an ESP Nuke, but it seemed a bit katana-ish and I couldn't seem to get a feel for it (sometimes it turned, sometimes it stayed stable, etc). Just seems my destroyers are more predictable.

Anyone want to convince me to try a z nuke/z force? I'm open to it, but don't want to waste $$$.

Gettin ready to order a few. Can anyone fill in the blanks on relative stability by color? I'll be ordering online so color is about the only variable I have to work with other than weight.

I havnt thrown my orange red yet but the difference between that one and my yellow so far is the dome. My yellow has a good dome on it and the other is almost flat

feedback from 3 different discraft pros are that the stability looks similar to this

Most stable to least stable
PINK
RED
BLUE
PURPLE
ORANGE
YELLOW

I just got 10 of them in and will be tossing them tonight. I will give feedback in the morning.

patdabunny said:
Anyone want to compare Z Nukes to an E*Destroyer? Or, if you really want to, a Z Force to the E*D?

I have an ESP Nuke, but it seemed a bit katana-ish and I couldn't seem to get a feel for it (sometimes it turned, sometimes it stayed stable, etc). Just seems my destroyers are more predictable.

Anyone want to convince me to try a z nuke/z force? I'm open to it, but don't want to waste $$$.

The Echo Destroyer is more HSS and fights the wind better.
The Z Nuke is faster and will go further.

I have a yellow 174 Z Nuke and I love it.
It exhibits the same flight characteristics as my beloved and hard to find first fun esp nukes
it is super flat by the way.
it is the z buzzz of long distance drivers: pops outta the hand easily and goes goes goes right where you tell it

Pat said:
patdabunny said:

What about the grip? I've read that the rim is shallower like the katana (something that makes me shy away from it).

So, out of the box, the z nuke is (on innova's chart) would be a -1 HSS? Or maybe a -2? The destroyer is a -1, supposedly...

patdabunny said:
Pat said:
patdabunny said:

What about the grip? I've read that the rim is shallower like the katana (something that makes me shy away from it).

So, out of the box, the z nuke is (on innova's chart) would be a -1 HSS? Or maybe a -2? The destroyer is a -1, supposedly...

Yes, the Z nuke is shallower like the katana. The Memorial Nukes feel a lot better in my hand but the Z Nukes just go very far everytime. I would say out of the box, a new echo destroyer is 0 HSS and the Z nuke would be -1.

I think once my love affair with the Z nuke is over, Ill be right back to throwing my destroyers. On a good rip, the nuke will go about 20-30 feet farther. The rim on the destroyers feels perfect. The nuke's rim is just a tad too big for me.

patdabunny said:
Anyone want to convince me to try a /z force?

If you throw 425+ The Z force, especially 167-171ish will fly quite stable, get a touch of HSS and always finish left (RHBH) good distance for how controllable it is. I have been finding for me that it flips up (this is my 167 at 4900' elevation) from about a 15-20 degree hyzer to fly flat maybe with a touch of HSS for as long as my SOLF would flipping up into a decent turn. If I throw the force closer to flat and let it turn more it out distances my OLF on a golf line.

the z nuke is definitely not like the katana in terms of how shallow it is now. It's close by some margin but I'd say it's more in between the katana and an esp nuke.

Pat said:
Yes, the Z nuke is shallower like the katana. The Memorial Nukes feel a lot better in my hand but the Z Nukes just go very far everytime. I would say out of the box, a new echo destroyer is 0 HSS and the Z nuke would be -1.

So would it be pretty comparable to a Pro Destroyer than? I typically throw Pros for distance, only breaking out my Star for headwinds and max distance FH shots.

Pat said:
I think once my love affair with the Z nuke is over, Ill be right back to throwing my destroyers. On a good rip, the nuke will go about 20-30 feet farther. The rim on the destroyers feels perfect. The nuke's rim is just a tad too big for me.

From the ESP Nuke that I've thrown I feel like I'll be the same way if I give the Z Nuke a shot. I don't really want to keep switching my max D drivers around, which is the only reason I haven't picked up a Z Nuke to try yet. Its pretty important to me that I can throw them both FH and BH, which the ESP couldn't do for me. I was hoping the Z Nuke would be pretty close to the Star Destroyer in HSS.

I picked one of these up today to test. CDGS had probably 100, all were different shades of blue, pink, and orange (That's all I remember, yellow may have been there as well). After eying a whole bunch of them, I found a pink that weighed 174 (marked 172) to have the highest parting line. It was also one of the domier ones as well, and the plastic is a little stiffer than most the other pinks. I was hoping to get one that was as stable as my favorite FR ESPs, which were a little closer to a Boss than a Katana. It unquestionably feels more durable than the ESPs, and it still feels like a Nuke to me.

I took my Nuke to the field after I had just played for 3 hours and was very warmed up. I compared it against my new and beat E* Destroyers, which I've been using since April and very comfortable with. I only threw 10 times, with and against a 5-10mph wind, so more testing is definitely in order.

It was flippier than I expected. It was not as stable as the more stable colors of FR ESPs, probably closer to the flippiest of that run. Into the wind it did a pretty good job of penetrating forward, though its line was a little wild. Once turned however, it struggled to fight back to stable. It was going farther than my Destroyers into the wind, but the Destroyers stayed on line better (as I know them better). Into the wind it was clearly faster than my DS. Unfortunately I did not get a good rip with the wind. It was a perfect slightly LtR tailwind and I always seemed to turn it over trying to crush it. I never threw it with anny or a rolled wrist, but it was flipping fairly hard from flat/slight hyzer with full power, where my stable DS was only flipping slightly. On one of the 5 throws with tailwind it was equal with my Destroyers, but the other 4 types my DS went further.

I can't wait to throw this disc some more, especially FH. I'm looking forward to throwing it on some local holes as well to better compare it line and distance wise to my current discs. It feels better in my hand than any wide 2.5-2.6 rim yet.

Discspeed, how stable were the yellow FRs compared to the other colors? I've been getting 5 hours per day of field practice two days in a row and have learned a couple of new/old things and I've been rocking my 171 yellow FR Nuke pretty consistently to around 400-430'. It seems to have a tiny bit more turn than my 169 pink Pro Destroyer, but otherwise flies quite similarly. Well, it's consistently longer also.

jubuttib said:
Discspeed, how stable were the yellow FRs compared to the other colors? I've been getting 5 hours per day of field practice two days in a row and have learned a couple of new/old things and I've been rocking my 171 yellow FR Nuke pretty consistently to around 400-430'. It seems to have a tiny bit more turn than my 169 pink Pro Destroyer, but otherwise flies quite similarly. Well, it's consistently longer also.

The Z Nuke is very close to those yellow ESPs in stability, as those were some of the less stable of the first run ESPs.