• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

Picked one of these up this weekend, hoping it's a touch more consistent than the ESPs. The grip is a little different. The guy at PIAS (also plays DG) told me that I'm probably the only person that would have noticed it - he couldn't tell until after I told him. The rim is slightly more shallow but doesn't feel too slim like a katana or illusion does to me.

If it is a bit more consistent in its flight, I might replace destroyers - but destroyers are the most consistent distance driver I've ever thrown so it will have to be really good.

victorb said:
If it is a bit more consistent in its flight, I might replace destroyers - but destroyers are the most consistent distance driver I've ever thrown so it will have to be really good.

I'm still testing, but I can pretty much tell already that its not going to be that good...They just don't start out stable enough to cover the spectrum of shots you can get from multiple Destroyers.

The Nuke is a true distance driver, not a workhorse driver. It excels at going very far, but that's about it.

Timko and Discspeed are right on.

Its a fun disc to try and throw very far, but its novelty will wear off and youll be back throwing whatever it is that you throw far and controllable.

I played a handicap at a course that doesn't really have any open distance holes, so I didn't get to learn much more about the Z Nuke. I did however SMASH it against a tree at about 85%, the same tree that totaled my ESP Nuke. It showed a very slight bend right after I picked it up, but I haven't looked at it again today. Anyway, that's pretty impressive structural durability, especially compared to the ESPs.

I'm going to get to go throw at my favorite local course for testing D drivers today and I should learn a lot more about the disc's capabilities.

YoungGunLefty said:
feedback from 3 different discraft pros are that the stability looks similar to this

Most stable to least stable
PINK
RED
BLUE
PURPLE
ORANGE
YELLOW

I just got 10 of them in and will be tossing them tonight. I will give feedback in the morning.

I don't see dayglow green on this list. How do they stack up? Probably will pick up a pink one to compare later this week.

Pat said:
Timko and Discspeed are right on.

Its a fun disc to try and throw very far, but its novelty will wear off and youll be back throwing whatever it is that you throw far and controllable.

Oh, it's my distance driver of choice, but that's what it is; a distance driver. It works 2 lines well.

1. Slight hyzer flip over to turnover, fade back
2. Giant anhyzer

Both of which are great distance lines. It doesn't really fly on a rope like a PD though.

My Z Nuke (pink 174) actually seemed much more impressive on the course today than it was in the field. It really flew well being thrown 85%...At near 100% in the field it was too flippy, but I seemed to forget that I don't throw 100% on the course, so it doesn't really matter too much what it flies like at 100%. I also like it better than the ESP for versatile distance. It doesn't get the weird lift that my ESPs sometimes got when I was trying to keep them low, but it also doesn't get the FREAK long throws that the ESP did from time to time. It is fun to throw and I look forward to throwing it some more. It doesn't seem like the point blank tree smash that it suffered yesterday had any effect on its flight today, which also makes it better than the ESP.

I can tell already that it TOTALLY KICKS THE FR STAR KATANAS ASS! Those sucked so bad that after 5 throws I had no desire for any more, but the Z Nuke is getting me a little excited.

Threw my dayglow green a little bit last night - Great all out distance disc. It does seem to excel at being thrown a little lighter than what you'd think for a disc this fast, but there seems to be a very fine line between a fantastic throw and one that flips too much (I really couldn't get it to hyzer the whole way on a distance powered throw). The z nuke does not, however, excel at controlled distance shots due to it's inconsistent nature.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with destroyers as my go-to distance disc, but might keep the z nuke around for max D tailwind shots or shots where missing my line by a lot won't really hurt.

victorb said:
Threw my dayglow green a little bit last night - Great all out distance disc. It does seem to excel at being thrown a little lighter than what you'd think for a disc this fast, but there seems to be a very fine line between a fantastic throw and one that flips too much (I really couldn't get it to hyzer the whole way on a distance powered throw). The z nuke does not, however, excel at controlled distance shots due to it's inconsistent nature.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with destroyers as my go-to distance disc, but might keep the z nuke around for max D tailwind shots or shots where missing my line by a lot won't really hurt.
Dang, I was really expecting these to be more beefy than the initial reviews are saying.

I picked up a domey pink first run Z in a players pack this weekend but have not thrown it. Nothing has touched the domey CFR destroyer I lost for headwind distance and I was sort of hoping this could do it. I might have one up for trade soon :/

So far I have tried out the colors
PINK 173
Red 173
Purple 173
Peach 173

I use quite a bit of torque when throwing my discs and I also only use the two finger backhand grip which means I have even more power into the disc.

All of these were flippy even from a strong hyzer position except for the PURPLE one
It is the only one that I can get to have any kind of a hyzer finish.
These things def bomb though. I was able to get these 530+
But you def have to put it on the right line to get it to fly correctly.
I am def looking forward to the overstable version of the nuke.

YoungGunLefty said:
So far I have tried out the colors
PINK 173
Red 173
Purple 173
Peach 173

I use quite a bit of torque when throwing my discs and I also only use the two finger backhand grip which means I have even more power into the disc.

All of these were flippy even from a strong hyzer position except for the PURPLE one
It is the only one that I can get to have any kind of a hyzer finish.
These things def bomb though. I was able to get these 530+
But you def have to put it on the right line to get it to fly correctly.
I am def looking forward to the overstable version of the nuke.

Cool....Before reading this, I just ordered a 172 purple Z Nuke from GGGT....more curiosity than anything else I suppose...any more on the purple that you would like to share?

Well the purple is the only one that I have gotten in the 168g weight range. Everything else is 170+

And I am getting two more purples in the 174 range and am going to test them out next to my STABLE purple and see if they posses similar stability levels.

I have tried many Z nukes and not one of them has the stability of my purple so maybe I got a freak but I absolutely love it. I got 530ft out of it on sunday and that's not DGR distance that's legit. It was on a 600ft hole and 72 feet from the hole.

Also mine has the silver sparkle stamp.
I will post once I test out the other two purples.

The longest throwers around rarely get 600' in distance contests. Often guys like GG, Avery, and Markus K are only getting a little over 500' on some attempts...and now it seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry can throw over 500' with the Nuke or the Katana. Seems a little suspect to me...I don't think people exaggerate as much as I think a lot of tee distances are really wrong, especially when the hole is more than 420'. Or maybe there is a 500' thrower at every course now. :?:

This is not directed at you per se YGL, just at all the distances I've been seeing posted here and at DGCR. I honestly throw my PD just about the same distance as a Nuke (about 450').

I think that tee distances are getting measured by some two-bit GPS app that someone has on their iPhone more often than not. We have a particular hole that is very suspect at my home course...listed as 363 and if it is a foot longer than 330', I would be amazed. I can get my buzzz within putting distance....we need to go back to the more primitive, yet accurate, distance wheel for these sort of things!

discspeed said:
The longest throwers around rarely get 600' in distance contests...and now it seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry can throw over 500' with the Nuke or the Katana. Seems a little suspect to me...I don't think people exaggerate as much as I think a lot of tee distances are really wrong, especially when the hole is more than 420'. Or maybe there is a 500' thrower at every course now. :?:

This is not directed at you per se YGL, just at all the distances I've been seeing posted here and at DGCR. I honestly throw my PD just about the same distance as a Nuke (about 450').
Message Board D has been trending upward here lately, but's still not as bad as it was about a year and a half ago. I think people don't factor in wind and elevation changes like they should, and they also tend to take their longest throw and make it their average. I've thrown 470' on the course, and was throwing at least one 450' drive every time out on the course a couple months back, but I still say I'm a 400' thrower, because that's what I can consistently hit off the tee. Now if only I tried the Nuke...

I think wrong distances are pretty rampant. However, I think the problem is a lot worse on holes past 400' because most people don't throw that far and wouldn't know 380 from 400 from 420 because they are all out of their driving range, but well within range for an easy 3. Most people who have played for a couple years will notice if a hole marked 350' is only 330' though. So, the longer the hole, the more chance the measurement is off.

discspeed said:
The longest throwers around rarely get 600' in distance contests. Often guys like GG, Avery, and Markus K are only getting a little over 500' on some attempts...and now it seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry can throw over 500' with the Nuke or the Katana. Seems a little suspect to me...I don't think people exaggerate as much as I think a lot of tee distances are really wrong, especially when the hole is more than 420'. Or maybe there is a 500' thrower at every course now. :?:

Don't be jealous just cause I can throw my Rattler 600 feet uphill in the pouring rain and you can't.