• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dominator & Mamba On The Loose

2012-01-24_04.jpg

Not too many more spots left to fill, and I couldn't imagine them doing an Ape OS or Xcal OS. They could replace the Groove (the point of the groove was to be able to produce lower weight, but now they have Blizzard), but there isn't that much room between the Katana (13,5,-2,3) and Boss (13,5,-1,3).

Wait a minute, isn't a Xcal overstable already?

Yes, that is why I don't think those two spots in the upper left will ever get filled.

From discgolfsweden.se:

"Innova has two new drivers on the way; Dominator and Mamba. According to Dave Dunipace at Innova has the Mamba lots of controllable turn, speed, and glide, it is definitely a finesse driver, difficult to throw into the wind though. It is a great roller disc and works well as a stand still driver when footing is bad, it goes a long way with very little effort. The flight rating is not set yet, but the preliminary are; Speed = 11, Glide = 5, HSS -5 and LSS 1.
The Dominator will fill the gap between the Boss and Katana. Speed and glide like the Katana, but not as much turn. The numbers will be close to 13, 5, -2 and 2 according to Dave. It is pretty much the same numbers as the Groove, but a different look and feel. No release dates are set yet.
"

So it looks like the Mamba will be like a less stable Archon, and the Dominator will fit between the Boss and Katana, replacing the Groove.

It's just really hard to see what they're going to do with the Dominator.

Vulcan topped groove-less Groove seems possible. Who knows? That's already pretty similar to a star Teedevil...

Last edited:
And from Dave D on the PDGA thread:

"We've been testing the Mamba and Dominator as well as new versions of the Champion Flattop Stingrays and Cobras for the past three weeks or so.

The Mamba was designed to give maximum distance for minimal effort. I believe the numbers are 11,5,-5,1. The Mamba has more high speed turn than any other of our long range drivers, so it is not meant to be thrown into a headwind. For those without much driving speed, it will be a blessing. It will add distance. For the medium armed crowd, it will shape long lines for turnovers and straight ahead shots, as well as big rolls. For those with big arms...not for them unless they want a real long fast turning roller. The Mamba will be released first in Champion around the end of February.

The Dominator occupies the same basic slot as the Groove, but no groove. It is somewhat faster than the Groove, (or Boss or Ape for that matter). Similar speed as the Vulcan or Katana, but more high speed stability than either. The Dominator will be released first in Champion in weights from 175gms down to 130s in Blizzard Champion. We have not established a release date yet for the Dominator. Probably some time in Spring.
"

Innova is making too many products for retailers to actually have in stock. Take all their molds, multiplied by all the plastic types, weights, and colors, and you would need a huge warehouse to hold it all.

Ahhhh....you mean no room on the shelf for other manufacturers. That coupled with being able to get product quickly for restock sounds like a deadly combo for othe companies.

My question is why hasn't anyone come out with a WEIGHTED (Non-Tournament) disc to help increase Shoulder Strength, etc.

Too (potentially) lethal for anyone to market, I'd guess. I'd suggest a Macgyver approach would work better than waiting for something to hit the market.

thanks for stealing the answer to the question i asked lol

And from Dave D on the PDGA thread:

"We've been testing the Mamba and Dominator as well as new versions of the Champion Flattop Stingrays and Cobras for the past three weeks or so.

The Mamba was designed to give maximum distance for minimal effort. I believe the numbers are 11,5,-5,1. The Mamba has more high speed turn than any other of our long range drivers, so it is not meant to be thrown into a headwind. For those without much driving speed, it will be a blessing. It will add distance. For the medium armed crowd, it will shape long lines for turnovers and straight ahead shots, as well as big rolls. For those with big arms...not for them unless they want a real long fast turning roller. The Mamba will be released first in Champion around the end of February.

The Dominator occupies the same basic slot as the Groove, but no groove. It is somewhat faster than the Groove, (or Boss or Ape for that matter). Similar speed as the Vulcan or Katana, but more high speed stability than either. The Dominator will be released first in Champion in weights from 175gms down to 130s in Blizzard Champion. We have not established a release date yet for the Dominator. Probably some time in Spring.
"

Someone who knows more about the specs can probably answer this...but the Dominator pretty much sounds like they jacked the DD2 and stamped a new name on it. At least in flight characteristics if not technical specs. How close are they spec wise?

there is a curious pattern on this board when Innova releases a high speed driver
it gets repeated

a) release
b) whine about "not another high speed driver"
c) whine "why can't they make something else"
d) whine "what a piece of junk"
e) proceed to go out and purchase it

when I'm old(er) the Mamba might be useful for me...but I'm thinking that's probably 15 years or more away

naaaah
who am I kidding
at that point I'll stick to Rivers, RR's, and Swords

Someone who knows more about the specs can probably answer this...but the Dominator pretty much sounds like they jacked the DD2 and stamped a new name on it. At least in flight characteristics if not technical specs. How close are they spec wise?

2012-01-24_05.jpg

I wish. Nearly all XCals will flip into even a slight headwind. I would love a truely overstable driver with a rim as wide as an XCal or Destroyer. Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen as most discs are marketed to beginners/intermediates.

Last edited: