• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

Damn, dude. I picked up a pfn star eagle and a newer champ today. The star was somewhat workable, the champ was beef. I was having a little audition and the star can bomb but they are too os out of the box for my taste and I don't want to use dx. :/ was hoping to like them more. Not good partners for the Patriot, imo. At least not right now. I like to work lines and hyzer flip etc but I also like being able to throw straight and level teebird style at times. Seems the eagle is not for me.

Damn, dude. I picked up a pfn star eagle and a newer champ today. The star was somewhat workable, the champ was beef. I was having a little audition and the star can bomb but they are too os out of the box for my taste and I don't want to use dx. :/ was hoping to like them more. Not good partners for the Patriot, imo. At least not right now. I like to work lines and hyzer flip etc but I also like being able to throw straight and level teebird style at times. Seems the eagle is not for me.

Just get a DX until your others beat in, you snob. :p

Eagles age like fine wine, you can't judge them out of the box.

All the dx I feel seems so rubbery...will it hold up well enough? If I'm really laying into it and I hit a tree, will it take it? I max around 450.

I will admit I'm a bit of a premium plastic snob, haha.

yeah, i threw a star as well. it is pretty flexible and nice. :) the PLH was definitely lower so i figured it wouldn't be quite so OS. maybe i'll get a DX just to see but right now the patriot/rival combo is a great setup, since the patriot lets me work lines and so do my OLFs.

we'll see. :) i do like the idea of starting with something OS enough to be a utility role and a main driver across plastics.

Holy balls. The teebird and eagle are pretty much all you need. These things straight up GO. I have never in my life imagined these could fly so far. The teebird was disappointing at first because it was not 0 turn, I had to get it to flip to flat. But it just locks onto that line and keeps going when all reason tells you it should have stopped already.

The eagle was great after it hit a couple trees. it is a huge bomber and yet very controlled. perfect for the woods I play in. I have never felt like it was so easy to throw a disc and it really helps emphasize that you want to go slow and accelerate. I feel like I hardly have to throw it. Really helped me realize that I am trying to throw too hard most of the time, even though I would say I have "good" form.

I know a lot of advice on here is to throw some dx, but I don't think it gets emphasized enough. These discs in dx go farther than my speed 9 drivers and I know I haven't even tapped into what they can really do yet.

I will be buying a bunch of mst x-outs.

Holy balls. The teebird and eagle are pretty much all you need. These things straight up GO. I have never in my life imagined these could fly so far. The teebird was disappointing at first because it was not 0 turn, I had to get it to flip to flat. But it just locks onto that line and keeps going when all reason tells you it should have stopped already.

The eagle was great after it hit a couple trees. it is a huge bomber and yet very controlled. perfect for the woods I play in. I have never felt like it was so easy to throw a disc and it really helps emphasize that you want to go slow and accelerate. I feel like I hardly have to throw it. Really helped me realize that I am trying to throw too hard most of the time, even though I would say I have "good" form.

I know a lot of advice on here is to throw some dx, but I don't think it gets emphasized enough. These discs in dx go farther than my speed 9 drivers and I know I haven't even tapped into what they can really do yet.

I will be buying a bunch of mst x-outs.

DX Eagles definitely go far. You're making me want to throw my stack of DXs again :thmbdown: Switching up my bag again. Sheesh.

does anybody else in here throw dx eagles?

i played 2.5 rounds or so today and these things definitely beat in quick. i bought another one for tomorrow's weekly get-together, but how do you plan for things like tournaments? how do you put together a consistent game when you don't necessarily know how it will throw after a tree whack? i assume star and champ will fly nowhere near as far even when broken in. i like the fact that i can have a fairway driver and a distance driver wrapped into one (well, two if you count the teebird) package so i plan on using these DX discs for a while. i assume a beat dx eagle is pretty much a perfect leopard, similar to what Brotherdave was saying on DGR about the champ Eagle L.

also, here are the ones i have so far. :)

DSC_0153_zps4cce8ujh.jpg

I've got one like that red and it's pretty beefy. You can pretty much cover the whole fairway with those. The DX Eagles are money discs, but, I like them when they're semi trashed, and only throw them a couple holes a round when I need that beautiful late turn.

I throw DX Eagles. They don't beat in fast for me, but I play at almost a mile elevation and most of our trees are protected by brush.

Only thing I know for sure is that DX Eagle L's beat in quick and I can flip new, X's are a lot beefier. My 2 month old DX X is just starting to turn.

Really I think the goal is to throw DX until you get star into a beat stage (which may take a while). Beat star goes pretty far too. Not sure if heavy star/champs ever beat into rollers, but then again I'm a 350' player not 450'. The DX make great hard turnover fairways when beat, and are pretty good stable/straight fairways new. Nice to have a cheap but reliable disc for water too.

Make these in KC Pro and G* and the world will be a better place.

yeah, my camera sucks . . . it's actually hot pink and it is DEFINITELY a beefcake.

i agree as well on the seasoning; i didn't like how they flew at first since i was trying to figure them out and VOILA. hit a couple trees and they're great! even the star one is breaking in quicker than expected.

The current runs of rubbery/waxy DX are not the best. They're okay, just not as good as that older, firm, KC Pro feeling run of DX that used to be all over. If you smash a tree with a DX driver and it gets too flippy, you just have to tune it so it goes straight again (pull the rim up so the PLH is higher). It's basic routine maintenance when throwing DX. Sometimes you have to completely get a tune-up by heating it with water and straightening out warps or sand off some burs. In that respect it's kind of like maintaining a classic car vs a new car that once stuff starts breaking down on it, it's toast. Premium plastic discs that fly how you want out of the box tend to disappoint later when they break into a sweet spot that's more understable than you want it and can be a pain to replace.

The trick for me is buying 2-3 DX Eagle X's and use one until it's thrashed. Then move onto another, while keeping one fairly fresh. When you do runningback by committee it prolongs the life of DX a lot. Then get a Champ/Star EX for that trusty fade stability that DX ones don't hold very long. You're well on your way with cycling by this point.

yeah, my camera sucks . . . it's actually hot pink and it is DEFINITELY a beefcake.

i agree as well on the seasoning; i didn't like how they flew at first since i was trying to figure them out and VOILA. hit a couple trees and they're great! even the star one is breaking in quicker than expected.

I personally bag two eagles. On the left is a champion 11x eagle X and on the right is a 11x eagle L. The EX is beefier then a brinster while EL is like a beat leopard with more LSS. Before I got my EL to the condition its in I threw a leopard. Eventually the leopard was kicked out of my bag by the EL.

bagged+eagles.jpg

In between the eagles in my bag is a 04 TL and a CE TL. 04 TL started out a tick more stable than a 12x teebird. I don't know why the 04 TLs are freaks of nature but I now have 6 of them. The CE TL will flip flat and fly dead straight with a little turn. Eagles should pair nicely with TB/TLs for you. That is how I use the eagles and hopefully the eagle mold will find a permanent place in your bag.

What fairways were you using before and why?

The trick for me is buying 2-3 DX Eagle X's and use one until it's thrashed. Then move onto another, while keeping one fairly fresh. When you do runningback by committee it prolongs the life of DX a lot. Then get a Champ/Star EX for that trusty fade stability that DX ones don't hold very long. You're well on your way with cycling by this point.

These are words to live by. This is almost exactly what I've been doing for about the last four years, and it works for me. Currently in my bag I have one thrashed DX, one about in the sweet spot, one really new one. Also I have a Star that's not close enough to the sweet spot yet to take out the DX one that's there now, and a Champ one that's pretty beefy that I could probably take out, oh and an EXP-1 that I'm hoping will get into that sweet spot and stay there for a while. This covers the drivers section of my bag. It works for me.

What fairways were you using before and why?

i have gone through a ton of discs. a lot. each time i thought i'd found something good, but i have not seen anything bomb like these dx eagles and teebirds. i've never seen a disc go so straight so far like the dx teebird either.

i committed to PD for quite some time and i didn't like the fact that some SPD (not even test config) are super beef and some are perfect, PPD are more like eagles. it's cool that you can have a TB and an eagle with one mold, and the CPD handles headwinds with aplomb.

i threw the OLF for a while this summer, liked it. very workable, very long. also threw the patriot and rival, liked them both too. the gummy rivals are super straight when they start to season, then they gain some turn and some fade but they are long and glidey. very straight disc.

i've been doing a bag revamp because i want it to be as streamlined as possible and know exactly what i'm going to be throwing and familiar with the molds in my first ever tournaments coming up in may. the dx has got me a little nervous that i'll be left high and dry mid-round, so i will be trying to get my star eagle seasoned by using it for get-out-of-trouble shots during rounds.

at this point, i don't feel i need a patriot if i have a beat dx eagle. i don't need an OLF if i have a somewhat seasoned dx eagle or a star eagle in the sweet spot. i don't need a banshee (maybe?) if i have my fresh champ. and the dx teebird just kills those long straight shots where you can't afford any turn/fade action. it'll be great for accurate distance shots too. everything else the eagle can handle. i might even buy an eagle L or two even though they're OOP just to see what's up.

it's a perfect 1-2 mold combo across plastics, IMO. i will probably be keeping a QOLF and sp tsunami in the bag though. why? i don't know - the tsunami for rollers and skips fo'sho. probably for a little more wind resistance in a more durable plastic that flies farther without needing any seasoning. i don't know how DX resists the wind once it gets seasoned enough to fly considerably farther. my QOLFs fly like the perfect SPDs that i was hunting. no turn, just very straight for a long way with some fade. i can trust that every time. sometimes i think that will come in handy.

i'm willing to bet a dx eagle and teebird outfly it though. :rolleyes: we'll see come this summer when i can actually go for max D without worrying about losing stuff or footing and get a feeling for how DX handles stuff.

Latest posts