• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] esp comets comin again!

I just got a Z Comet a few weeks ago and really like it, but I'm debating on whether or not to pick up one of these. Normally I wouldn't consider it since I already have a Z but there is so much hype around the ESP version that it makes me want to try it.

I just want to know if the hype is due simply to the low supply, or if it really is that much better than the Z. It seems that if all plastics were readily available people would say the Z is best like they do with the Buzzz. Or if ESP was standard and Z was rare for Comets, that there would be an even bigger hype (like Champ Rocs).

So what does make the ESP better that Z for Comets but not really any other discs? I'm guessing that it beats into a more desirable stability: less stable than Z Comets and more stable than X. Anything else (besides grip)?

I just want to know if the hype is due simply to the low supply, or if it really is that much better than the Z....

So what does make the ESP better that Z for Comets but not really any other discs? I'm guessing that it beats into a more desirable stability: less stable than Z Comets and more stable than X. Anything else (besides grip)?

a certain amount is hype, for sure, because of the limited supply. They aren't necessarily better than Z, just different.

You're right on the stability though. Z's never really get 'flippy'. The ESPs break in slowly and get some high speed turn, have great glide and grip.

hopefully DGC will have some soon, they are my preferred online retailer. Better get on it though I'm sure they will sell out in a heartbeat.

I just got a Z Comet a few weeks ago and really like it, but I'm debating on whether or not to pick up one of these. Normally I wouldn't consider it since I already have a Z but there is so much hype around the ESP version that it makes me want to try it.

I just want to know if the hype is due simply to the low supply, or if it really is that much better than the Z. It seems that if all plastics were readily available people would say the Z is best like they do with the Buzzz. Or if ESP was standard and Z was rare for Comets, that there would be an even bigger hype (like Champ Rocs).

I tried ESP, Z, and X.... Nothing compares to the ESP one. Not only the feel, but also the flight. It is hard to explain, but it really is 1000X better the the Z.

I tried ESP, Z, and X.... Nothing compares to the ESP one. Not only the feel, but also the flight. It is hard to explain, but it really is 1000X better the the Z.

I don't know about 1000x times better. I think the two compliment each other perfectly. ESP is probably more workable on different lines but the Z is a bit more reliable. I know that as long as I don't shank it the disc is not going to turnover at all. On longer shots it may track right a bit but never really goes over.

I don't know about 1000x times better. I think the two compliment each other perfectly. ESP is probably more workable on different lines but the Z is a bit more reliable. I know that as long as I don't shank it the disc is not going to turnover at all. On longer shots it may track right a bit but never really goes over.

This. I don't want flippy in a comet, so I'm not really sure I want an ESP aside from just trying one out. So tempting...

Any comet + good form = not flippy :)

not a beat elite-x.

both of the ESPs I had were pretty beat when I got them. I wouldn't call them 'flippy' like the X's, to me flippy means 'turns over and does not come back'. The ESPs would flip flat and track right a little bit. I could turn them over like the X's but only on longer open shots with more power and room to work.

I feel the exact same way. Its almost ridiculous how straight you can make that disc go.

If thrown at 340' power, will it turn and not come back?

If you have smooth, clean form and you have a snap biased throw then a Comet should not turn when thrown 340'. This applies to Z, ESP, and new or domey X Comets. I was throwing my really beat ESP 330' yesterday. There was no significant fade at the end of the flight. So if you release with anhyzer or if you torque it, it will turn and not come back.