• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

banzai7

Double Eagle Member
Here's the place to post your reviews, excitement, whatever. I know it's not out yet, but a limited number were released for the Ann Arbor one disc challenge. And Discraft Mike said (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11940&start=268) that a full production run will be ready for the end of May. Someone posted a review on the PDGA forums:
I haven't thrown one. I play against someone who does use it. It seems to be a real straight flyer. Slight turn, slight fade. Less overstable than the Z's. Probably very comparable to a new or slightly used D.
From this description, it sounds like exactly what I want. If it pans out, I'll probably be dropping my Teebirds and Gazelles for a max weight Z Cyclone (to replace my beefsteak 11x Teebird), a 17?g ESP Cyclone (for all around awesomeness), and two Pro D Cyclones in different stages of wear.

Definitely looking forward to this! That description sounds perfect. Can't wait to get one and put it in my bag along with the other Cyclones. :)

I started loosing discs a lot this year, stupid Unger Park. I finally had to take Cyclones out of my bag becasue I couldn't risk throwing the last of my TP Cyclones in a lake. If I can get something close to a TP Cyclone in a disc I can replace, I'm sold. However, if the Cyclone gets run in the upgraded D that might be what I'm looking for as well. At any rate, I'm going to give the ESP Cyclone a shot and see how it flies. I hope to be able to get Cyclones back in my bag soon.

Actually, Unger Park is flooded and closed, so maybe I can put them back in now! :p

rusch_bag said:
What is the difference between a cyclone and a cyclone2?
Cyclone
002-1.jpg

Cyclone 2
005-1-1.jpg

The Cyclone 2 was between a Cyclone and an X-Clone in stability. Think of it as a shorter X2. It did not have the glide the Cyclone had and it wasn't as good of a forehand disc as an X-Clone, so I never had any use for it. I suppose if you had a cannon and flipped the Cyclone regularly, the Cyclone 2 would have been the ticket. Never having possessed a cannon, that's just a guess.

At any rate, they were not marketed well and did not sell well. People didn't understand the difference between them and a regular Cyclone. They have been OOP for a long time, at least since 2004.

what are the chances discraft accidently ran the Z Cyclone in the Cyclone 2 mold?

I remember throwing Cyclone 2s years ago, and they pretty much sucked. The Z Cyclone isn't too awful, but it's just nothing like the other ones. I don't have any cylcone 2s anymore to compare with.

anway, hoping the ESP Cyclones will hit at least an LE release, if not a full scale release. I'll be snatching up a nice lifetime supply of em when they do come out.

Grayson said:
what are the chances discraft accidently ran the Z Cyclone in the Cyclone 2 mold?

I remember throwing Cyclone 2s years ago, and they pretty much sucked. The Z Cyclone isn't too awful, but it's just nothing like the other ones. I don't have any cylcone 2s anymore to
The only way I could tell a Cyclone and a Cyclone 2 apart was by the tooling or the stamp. Seriously, I could never figure out the difference in the mold. The Cyclone 2 is maybe a little flatter on top, but the DGA Flathead Cyclones were flippy and not at all like a Cyclone 2. So, really I have no idea what the difference was. Whatever it was it was subtle.

The Z's I have don't have the tooling underneath, the tooling is on the side of the rim. It doesn't even say "Cyclone" in the tooling that I noticed. Since I can't tell the two molds apart without the old tooling, I can't say. I think the Z Cyclone sucks becasue the disc does not shrink enough out of the mold. The diameter is too big and the nose is too blunt, which makes it slower and more overstable than a Cyclone should be.

I was wondering because I bought one of each at PIAS that were both custom stamped and I couldn't see a visual difference in them besides the fact that one said cyclone on the bottom and the other said cyclone2.

rusch_bag said:
I was wondering because I bought one of each at PIAS that were both custom stamped and I couldn't see a visual difference in them besides the fact that one said cyclone on the bottom and the other said cyclone2.
If you ever figure it out, let me know.

The Cyclone2 was a bomb disc for forehand anhyzers... popped up high at an anny-angle with some wicked snap those things would cut lines through the air you've never seen before. 150' forward and 200' left after a 90-degree turn in the air. I used to love those discs until they got too beat up to throw... Seriously sick for forehand trick shots... never found them to be much good for anything else.

what I felt like the Z Cyclone was is just a little faster Z Wasp. I could throw it slightly farther than the Z Wasp, and it was a little more stable when new. But it felt almost exactly the same as the Z Wasp, so I hear you on the non shrinking of the Z, working stiff. (did i just say i felt someone's shrinkage? :oops: )

Grayson said:
what I felt like the Z Cyclone was is just a little faster Z Wasp. I could throw it slightly farther than the Z Wasp, and it was a little more stable when new. But it felt almost exactly the same as the Z Wasp, so I hear you on the non shrinking of the Z, working stiff. (did i just say i felt someone's shrinkage? :oops: )

I WAS IN THE POOL! I WAS IN THE POOL!

Latest posts