• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Sounds like a good beginner disc, if you can get it in lighter weights. I'm curious to see the glide and shape on these babies.

since the cyclones are almost being discontinued completely, are they trying to save the cyclone by running it into a different plastic and hope for the best?

good question, it would be a little sad to see it go. I'm hoping for the best... hoping it will be the closest thing to a "D" flight yet.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. 174g Dayglo Green ESP Cyclone. I got a chance to throw it today against a 174g Pro D Cyclone (a little seasoned). Unfortunately, I've never thrown a Z or TP Cyclone so I can't comment on that.

The disc: looks and feels sweet. This is fairly standard ESP plastic, with a little flex on the flight plate, but great grip. It's got a nice consistent medium dome (almost identical to the D). I'll try to post pictures later.

The flight: basically $$.

At low power (~275) it'll flip up from a touch of hyzer for a dead straight shot with surprisingly late fade. Great smooth hyzer line, and it will also hold an anny all the way to the ground at this power range. The most notable feature is its glide; I kept expecting it to bite and fade, but it held the line a long way. It was actually a bit longer than the Pro D on some of these shots. It responds well to powering down, and also higher nose up throws. Very forgiving.

With some nuts behind it (~325+) thrown flat, it'll have a nice tight little S curve for some easy, controlled D. Very predictable fade (more predictable than the Pro D). One thing it does really well is a flattened hyzer shot at full power (even nose up).

Compared to the D Cyclone, I'd say it's a bit more stable. (If it had been a new D Cyclone, I'd guess the ESP would still be a twinge more stable.) The ESP has less turn, and a bit later fade than the Pro D. It's definitely not beefy, by any means (not like a Ch. Teebird, or KC Gazelle). Definitely not sacrificing much glide. I'm not sure how well it'll hold up in the wind (there was no breeze today), however. (Probably not well).

It looks like Cyclones will be replacing my Teebirds, I was so impressed.

AbelRod said:
that review almost didnt happen. he let me throw it and like an ass i lost it, so happy he got it back.
No worries man.

Thank you for the review. Sounds like a quality offering from Discraft, and the opening salvo in the fairway driver arms race. The descriptions remind me of some of my old E Sabres. Let the wars begin.

Sunspot, Dgdave, et al. If you're interested, you should buy one. If you don't like it, trade it to me. :) I'm really interested to hear others' opinions since I haven't ever thrown the TP cyclones.

I went out with this thing again today and was just loving it. But I'm just comparing it to my Gazelles, Teebirds, and one D Cyclone. We need one of you plastic hoarders to review it.

Softer run, not stiff. Flexy flight plate, but the rim is solid. Not the super durable stuff, but still more durable than Pro D!

Compared to a new DX gazelle, I'd say slightly less HSS and a tad more LSS. It's larger diameter than a Gazelle, and a deeper rim, so it feels a bit slower... the gazelle is a little longer for me. Basically, it'll turn from a bit of hyzer up to flat, whereas a new Gazelle wouldn't as much.

Compared to a KC Gazelle, it's a whole different world. The KC Gazelles I've thrown (only 3 of them) were really beefy. Think of the difference between a new 11x Ch. Teebird and a Dx Teebird; that's basically what KC Gazelles are like compared to DX Gazelles. The ESP Cyclone is not like that at all.

IMHO, it serves as a great premium plastic disc to complement the same mold in Pro D. At one point or other, I was throwing DX and Ch. Teebird, KC Gazelle and DX Gazelles. This is just much more readily available than the KC Gazelle (and better -- less glideless meathookery!). I find Cyclones more forgiving (and more versatile) than Teebirds.

Banzai said:
Softer run, not stiff. Flexy flight plate, but the rim is solid. Not the super durable stuff, but still more durable than Pro D!

Compared to a new DX gazelle, I'd say slightly less HSS and a tad more LSS. It's larger diameter than a Gazelle, and a deeper rim, so it feels a bit slower... the gazelle is a little longer for me. Basically, it'll turn from a bit of hyzer up to flat, whereas a new Gazelle wouldn't as much.

Compared to a KC Gazelle, it's a whole different world. The KC Gazelles I've thrown (only 3 of them) were really beefy. Think of the difference between a new 11x Ch. Teebird and a Dx Teebird; that's basically what KC Gazelles are like compared to DX Gazelles. The ESP Cyclone is not like that at all.

IMHO, it serves as a great premium plastic disc to complement the same mold in Pro D. At one point or other, I was throwing DX and Ch. Teebird, KC Gazelle and DX Gazelles. This is just much more readily available than the KC Gazelle (and better -- less glideless meathookery!). I find Cyclones more forgiving (and more versatile) than Teebirds.
Sounds a lot like a TP Cyclone. I HAVE to get some!

Dang! Now I want one and I head out for vacation Wed. Guess they will all be gone by then, they way ordering spikes after a favorable DGR notice... :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think I don't need thid. I like more unversatile discs (teebirds, comets, etc.)

Latest posts