• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

As soon as I quit working 70+ hours a week and have a chance to get down to DGW, I'll be picking up a couple.

Smitty said:
These things have glide for days.
Exactly. Nice and glidey. Super easy to power up; throw it like a midrange, flies like a driver. I'm loving mine -- Lime green too!

How in the hell did I miss this thread? I had only tossed a Z Cyclone before and wasn't in love. I may have to give this a shot now, but I'm hesitant because of the larger diam and flex of the ESP.

If I'm throwing DX teebirds with solid success, Is it worth me giving these things a try? Would I see any advantage other than durability and maybe grip?

Jsw said:
If I'm throwing DX teebirds with solid success, Is it worth me giving these things a try? Would I see any advantage other than durability and maybe grip?
versatility

Had another chance to get out and give this thing a shot. The more I throw it, the more I think it will stay in the bag.

I would say do yourself a favor and check it out. Either buy one or talk to your local DCraft pro and give on a test drive.

should i test these for a spot compared to my leopard..

Jesse B 707 said:
Jsw said:
versatility

I dropped my DX and Ch. Teebirds when I tried this. So yes, you should give it a try. Versatility is one reason; they fly on a lot of lines.

Another reason: it's a lot easier to exert control over Cyclones than Teebirds. I find in order to get a decent flight out of a teebird, you really gotta get on it and put some juice behind it. These Cyclones have a much wider power requirement range. You can throw them at 60% and still get a very similar flight to it thrown at 95%. That is a really valuable quality in a fairway control driver. And Cyclones are better than Teebirds for it.

RoomTenONine said:
How in the hell did I miss this thread? I had only tossed a Z Cyclone before and wasn't in love. I may have to give this a shot now, but I'm hesitant because of the larger diam and flex of the ESP.

The larger diameter takes a little getting used to. It makes it feel a little more like a midrange. But the thing is definitely a driver! I think the larger diameter helps with the glide aspect too.

i may get a couple of these to try, my Gazelles are not really the most versitile thing as far as FW drivers go, they fly more like a Roc than a driver which is both awesome and limiting.......ill probly wait to try a Trident first though :)

domromer said:
Would there be too much overlap with the XL to carry both?

Dunno. I've only thrown an X XL a couple times a year ago. Probably a 'yes' though.

I'd say there's overlap but you could justify carrying the two for different shots.

I know how many discs you usually carry... for YOU there is not enough difference to justify carrying both. If I could only carry one it would be the XL.

Jesse B 707 said:
i may get a couple of these to try, my Gazelles are not really the most versitile thing as far as FW drivers go, they fly more like a Roc than a driver which is both awesome and limiting.......ill probly wait to try a Trident first though :)

Isn't this what an ESP cyclone would be pretty much like?