• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fair or foul?

Not sure if tweaks would be needed. However, there's always the option to provide a drop zone on the other side of the water where players can start the hole throwing their 3rd shot if they do not wish to try throwing over the water. That's how we do it on the Steady Ed course at the IDGC. If your division must play the back blue tees and you don't think you can make the carry on one of the water holes, you can go to the Red tee, all which are all on the other side of the water (per Steady Ed's original design guidelines), and be playing your 3rd shot and not risk losing your disc.

If the water carry were only 250', would the hole....as is otherwise...be decent design wise? Playing slightly uphill after water carry to a 20' opening down an alley (picture of alley on first page of thread) work?

While the water has a challenge all its own, once over the water or throwing from the drop zone (if one is added) there's still the challenge of an uphill drive to best position yourself for a 3rd or 4th shot down the alley...which plays like an easier wooded par three from the opening.

If you mean not clearing the left side so the player only has to throw 250 to cross it then, yes. However, my preference would be making a "safe" landing area by doing some clearing on the left and challenging players with the option for a longer throw on the more direct route.

With regard to hitting the landing zone to set up the final upshot, it's important that the ideal landing area be visible enough from the previous landing position because that corridor to the pin looks pretty tight and the landing area suitable to set up a good shot looks rather small. It reminds me a bit of hole 12 at Moraine near Pittsburgh where I advised designer J. Gary Dropcho to make sure the blind landing area off the tee was big enough to provide a decent upshot angle. So he cleared a few more trees along the upshot route to provide more angles and options depnding where your tee shot landed.

If the water carry were only 250', would the hole....as is otherwise...be decent design wise? Playing slightly uphill after water carry to a 20' opening down an alley (picture of alley on first page of thread) work?

While the water has a challenge all its own, once over the water or throwing from the drop zone (if one is added) there's still the challenge of an uphill drive to best position yourself for a 3rd or 4th shot down the alley...which plays like an easier wooded par three from the opening.

Based on the picture, I think the shortest tee would be a plenty fair drop zone, and I like Chuck's idea of offering that as an option shooting 3 if a player simply doesn't want to risk losing a disc. That short tee easily allows players to go nowhere near the water.

For Mash and those near Chicago, the drop zone plan will be used on the revamped Fairfield course this spring. There are two forced water crossings. On new 7 from the Gold tee, players must cross the creek on their tee shot or they go to the white tee on the other side throwing their third shot (or they can start there throwing 3.) The other crossing has the option for Gold or White tee players to play their 3rd shot starting from the drop zone on the other side.

What about 18? Ob markers still?

That hole is somewhat comparable to the concept that sadjo is talking about here.....(of course the ob is opposite) but it still incorporates the "don't bite off more than you can chew" theory

And are you saying that 16 gold at fairfield can be started at the drop zone with your third shot. Or are you just referring to playing your 3rd shot from the drop zone after you didn't cross or went into the creek

Sorry to thread drift guys

I'm not actually in the Chicago area anymore, but sounds very cool Chuck. BR - he's saying the idea is you can choose to go to the drop zone preemptively without risking a lost disc.

....Thats what golden retrievers are for... The water carries on those holes are not too bad IMO.....Cool looking!.....but not unfair by any standards

Just looking at the map I agree, but if someone has to play the long tees in a tournament and isn't comfortable with it, I have no issue with them just going straight to the drop zone throwing 3.

I'm not actually in the Chicago area anymore, but sounds very cool Chuck. BR - he's saying the idea is you can choose to go to the drop zone preemptively without risking a lost disc.

You guys should move back.....

So you can make that your home course:\

18 will have OB markers and play like we discussed where you have to cross the path on your tee shot.
On Gold 16, I'm thinking you can also choose to go to the drop zone throwing three without teeing off. Only lower level players might ever consider that unless maybe the creek is really flooded and the water is up near the pin. And that might happen once in a while.

For Mash and those near Chicago, the drop zone plan will be used on the revamped Fairfield course this spring. There are two forced water crossings. On new 7 from the Gold tee, players must cross the creek on their tee shot or they go to the white tee on the other side throwing their third shot (or they can start there throwing 3.) The other crossing has the option for Gold or White tee players to play their 3rd shot starting from the drop zone on the other side.

DGCR needs a like button. This sounds awesome, I cannot wait for the new fairfield.

I think the hole looks awesome. I think the landing area looks fair from the picture, but I think I would need to see the tee pad in person to give my a fairer assessment. I love the concept of the hole, the land is gorgeous.

Named after the family that first settled there. One still lives there -- name of Phil.

I know some McCrakins. I don't know Phil. The land is owned by an older lady and his held in trust by her children. One wants to develope the property while another isn't so sure. I don't believe the folks I'm dealing with are related unless its maternal.

Because of my involvement in the sport and having been the driving force behind several courses in the area, the gentleman came to me to put together a proposal to get this first stage going.

USGS topography...Lines represent 40 feet of elevation change.
rabuncotopo_zps1931a2a8.jpg

Not just fair, but AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDGA says I'm only rated 898 or something. I'd drive over the lake, hit the gap into the woods, and thread the approach up to the green for a birdie. I'd feel awesome if I got a three. I'd shank a few throws and often get 5's plus.