• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Fastest mid? Near fairway range

Isn't a compass supposed to be pretty long for a mid?

Without yet reading through this entire post I'll tell you that the disc that works like this for me is the Discraft Zombeee. IDK what speed you'd call it maybe 6.5-8ish. very small rim almost the same grip as a Buzzz, sharper nose. But imagine if you had a really fast, kinda glidey Buzzz, that's the Zombeee and it turns over nicely, hyzers nicely, flex flick, throw it flat and watch it carve a nice "s" out for you. It's the tweener I go to. I can use it for 240'-300' range can back off it and use it inside 100' utility AF.

Cool. Which of these don't have a bead?
Truth was pretty far flying.

Used to have a squall, very far disc.

I'd just go to an S-FD probably. They are a fairway but they can be powered down and fly very controlled like a mid. I find most mids fly such similar distances for most players, so you have to go up to a sharper rim shape to get to a significant distance increase...while having a disc with a predictable stability and not much fade to be hard to power down. If I want to throw a typical Buzzz-type line plus 30' or so then an FD can do that easily.

How much gap do you have from mids to fairways/when would this be used vs. a normal fairway?

came to say squall but that's been mentioned, so I'll throw the gazelle out there.

I'll see your Gazelle and raise you Cyclone (has bead though, I think).

Kaxe and Squall are properly tweenery, I have no idea what to call them. The Warship, Evidence, Meteor, etc are all sneakily long mids. Gazelles, Stalkers, Sabres, Cyclone, etc are all slow FWs by today's standards, they like higher lines like a Roc.

The Discraft Impact is an underrated 'tweener, just can't be a torque monkey.

The Warship is literally labeled as a 6 speed, which I wouldn't even call midrange speed. I think 6 speed should be fairway driver speed, but flight numbers are pretty arbitrary and really just marketing tools anyway. But if you put stock in flight numbers, Westside labeling the Warship as a 6 speed is a pretty clear indication that they intend it to be that tweener disc you're looking for. I've never thrown a mid that was longer than the Warship, at least. The Evidence is easier to throw far because it's slightly understable, but with a good throw the Warship definitely has more distance potential.

Warship for Straight to US, and Verdict for a dependable fade- incredibly long "mids" from the Trilogy lineup- I used to Throw a Zombee from Discraft, but the Warship took that slot, and seems longer/more glide

If you want "speed" meaning a wider rim then lots of the suggestions here are good. If you want practical controlled distance, learn to hyzer flip any slightly understable mid at full power and you can achieve near fairway distances. I've thrown this sort of shot with a beat roc, a comet, a fuse, a launch, an evidence, etc. A can thrown them dead straight out to around 330 and on an anny line to probably 350 although I'm losing a little control trying to push it quite that far.

I want a hybrid
Control of a mid, distance of fw

Stalker? River?
Anything newer?

The Gila is a good disc, but the OP asked for a mid that had the distance of a fairway driver. The Gila lacks the glide. Whilst it is OS enough to handle overspeeding the disc, throwing that hard would kill control.

I like the Gila, but its not for this

Another vote for the Andro C (the pink original - the purple second version is too flippy for my stupid form).

The Andro C is pretty workable, and has reasonable fade. Thrown backhand it is literally a tweener for me: goes about 25' farther than my Gila (the only mid I ever throw), and about 15-20' shorter than my Tyrant/Ptero fairway duo