• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Fastest mid? Near fairway range

Discraft Glide and Squall could work. Problem with that speed level is, the discs are just that.... tweeners. You don't know whether to throw them or not. They don't really do the job of a mid, and they're too short to be fairway drivers. I haven't bagged a disc of this speed level in a long while.

Not true for me but them this is me. If I know a fairway driver is going to be too long and I know I can't make it with a midrange, I take my Impact out a disc that I use also for tight tunnel shots. Is like a Wombat in flight pattern.

I dont understand the point in having a midrange that goes fairway distances. It's no longer a midrange if it flies fairway distances

I suggested the zombee earlier in this thread. For me the point is having a disc that can fly like a fast mid-range without gliding too much, tight tunnels, low ceiling. Also it turns over nicely at about 250 300 feet.

zombie was a fine mold but it just wasnt better than the buzz. hard to compete.

I don't know how I forgot.. And to mention why I didn't seek it out after my hiatus... The classic cobra. (not the the champ edition they have now I foolishly bought it thinking it was the same).

The old dx classic cobra was technically a fairway driver when it was introduced. It was one of Ken Climo's go to for out all distance in the day.

If you know of the original hole two at Mt.Airy he drove the hole with it during a tourney to get a two.

zombie was a fine mold but it just wasnt better than the buzz. hard to compete.

Not better than the buzz, although I don't think it was intended to be better. It seems to me that the zombee was a disc for when you look at a shot and say to yourself, damn I wish my buzz was faster than it is.

My question is why? These molds which ride the speed spectrum suck bc over or under power you often get drastically different flights vs a true mid or slower fairway.

They can be fun to throw but really IMO just become annoying once you dial in your game. I hate these kind of discs really like the meteor... F that' super speed sensitive and just larger slower wing stuff doesnt mold up as well vs true mids.

Not better than the buzz, although I don't think it was intended to be better. It seems to me that the zombee was a disc for when you look at a shot and say to yourself, damn I wish my buzz was faster than it is.

When a buzz goes 300' on a rope who says that? No one Ive ever played with and crush comets/buzz etc.

The River is a really nice disc. Definitely not a mid though. Food for thought my Opto line started turning over significantly once the disc got its share of play so I replaced it with a gold line and that holds the line a lot more consistently.

My buddy has a pretty beat in G-Star Teebird that holds a line beautifully, but if you are looking for a mid I would echo with the Buzz fans out there. I have a Pro-line and it's the only Discraft disc I throw and I love it.

I like a mint alpha for this slot. OS and fast, easy to range. You need a bit of room to let it hyser in, but I've had good success with it so far.

I mean...? 9 speed fairway driver. This is the DGCR life of 2018. And if you think im trolling? Hell i don't even need a pole these days to fish.

I give up.

My question is why? These molds which ride the speed spectrum suck bc over or under power you often get drastically different flights vs a true mid or slower fairway.

They can be fun to throw but really IMO just become annoying once you dial in your game. I hate these kind of discs really like the meteor... F that' super speed sensitive and just larger slower wing stuff doesnt mold up as well vs true mids.

Thats why I love both the Kaxe and Squall, neither are speed sensitive like either a Truth or a Meteor. I will agree most tweener discs are hard to dial in, and that includes a Leopard.

I don't know how I forgot.. And to mention why I didn't seek it out after my hiatus... The classic cobra. (not the the champ edition they have now I foolishly bought it thinking it was the same).

The old dx classic cobra was technically a fairway driver when it was introduced. It was one of Ken Climo's go to for out all distance in the day.

If you know of the original hole two at Mt.Airy he drove the hole with it during a tourney to get a two.

That Champion Plastic Cobra was most likely a King Cobra.

The classic Cobra is the San Marino tooling. It was the initial release of the Cobra, then Innova decided it was too similar to their Stingray so they retooled it into the Ontario which was the Cobra for quite a long time (added stability). San Marino Cobra was rebranded as the Classic Cobra.

The new Champ [King] Cobras are a retooled Ontario...tried to recreate it after the mold eventually gave out. They don't fly like the DX Ontarios I love and bag, nor do they fly like the OOP Champ Ontarios that were run about 15 years ago.

When a buzz goes 300' on a rope who says that? No one Ive ever played with and crush comets/buzz etc.

Maybe your last two posts here clarify the situation. I've only been playing for a year. Maybe I won't have any use for tweener in the future but now I still can crush my buzz or comet 200' and my touch game isn't good enough to control slower fairways in these situations.

I mean...? 9 speed fairway driver. This is the DGCR life of 2018. And if you think im trolling? Hell i don't even need a pole these days to fish.

I give up.

It's a speed 8 workeable OS, I use it for the tweener distances. It's a power hungry disc for me, but I like how it flys. It powers down well, which gives you more of a range that it works well in.
For me it fits the slot you are talking about, thanks for being dick though, there isn't enough of that going around. Good job

Power hungry and powers down well is a paradox.

There's tons of fairways that power down well but that's not what OP was looking for. Muh new brand doe

He mentions a river originally, that's not a fast mid it's a fairway, with terrible control. The alpha fits the bill much better, and it's only one tick faster.
I find it does power down well, but isn't glidey, so not super long for my arm. It holds a hyser really well, obviously, but I also find I can flatten it out and stretch a similar shot longer. And I find I can pin point it as well as anything in that speed range.

The Alpha is a 2.0 rim...That's not even close to a tweener. How would a more understable mold [River] power down worse than a more overstable mold [Alpha]? As a former River thrower I won't deny the quality control is poor and all five I threw had different minds...but that's not the question being asked. He wanted something River or slower and you offered an even faster mold. People are talking about the Squall and Glide, not a Beast/Monster/Orc. All of which are classified as speed10 and have the same 2.0 rim.

Speed 10 is classified as distance driver, not even fairway. Not that I care about arbitrary terms, just sayin'

I think what you are saying is correct, but the newer and slower armed players who can't throw for much D, seem to be saying that with distance drivers that are slightly OS they can use them like that.

Not the intended use to be sure, but for some I'm sure it's effective.