• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Fastest mid? Near fairway range

doubt if anything could beat a light biofuzion truth for all out mid distance.

I used to have a truth, was waiting for someone to mention.

Squall might be farther.

Both might fit what I seek. Warship is interesting.

How do these compare in stability?

Isn't a compass supposed to be pretty long for a mid?

I found the Compass (Opto and Gold Line) to be a bit shorter than the Buzzz, which is one reason the Buzzz made my bag. Compass is a good disc, but not long for a mid.

This is wrong.
I have seen you give enough good advice to beleive that is true for you....but not for me. I've bagged both, and can get a good 15 to 20 extra feet out of a Buzzz. I've thrown friends, so it wasnt just the disc I owned.
Makes me curoius about the difference in our throwing styles.

I used to have a truth, was waiting for someone to mention.

Squall might be farther.

Both might fit what I seek. Warship is interesting.

How do these compare in stability?

Warship and Squall are fairly similar in stability in that they're both stable-understable. The big difference is the Warship has loads more glide b/c it's a wide diam. mid. I'd say the Squall is probably farther though b/c it should travel farther on a lower line. I really liked the VIP Warship I had but even though it was 170g+ it broke in to be too flippy for me. It became a "hyzer-flip and watch it gradually turn and hang in the air forever" disc instead of something I could trust to fade. I found Squalls to be more trust-worthy b/c the sharper rim didn't allow it to be bothered by wind as much. They're both great for long, straight, wooded holes though.

On the Truth debate, there seems to be a fair amount of stability variation with that mold, not to mention the EMac Truth version in the mix. The Lucid Truth I had reminded me a lot of a nice ESP Buzzz, a hint of turn and long forward fade. I've thrown Buzzzes that were longer and some that were dumpier than the Truth so it's a wash IMO.

One last thing about the Warship, if I remember right it has at least a small bead on it and is shaped more similarly to a DX Rancho Roc/Comet type mid rather than a Buzzz/Truth type mid. If you want a similar flight without the bead you can do a lot worse than a GL Core, another disc we used to have endless debates on whether it was longer or shorter than a Buzzz. :rolleyes:

Good info Brother Dave, although I find the Emac version to be the least dumpy.
Regardless, neither the Truth or the Buzzz is making more distance than the Squall or Kaxe. I have never thrown a Warship, so I cannot comment there.

I feel the Kaxe, at least in the K1 plastic, is a slightly shorter Teebird...as in 8 to 10 foot shorter...same classic line, but it does need more height than the Squall.

Last edited:
I would say a Impact is between a midrange and a fairway driver it is not either, it is in its own category called midrange driver or driving midrange. I say being that Discraft calls it a fairway disc and Infinite Discs call the Impact a midrange I will call it a midrange driver. The disc feels like a midrange but flies the distance of a slow fairway driver. The Wombat from Innova is a midrange disc that flies like the Impact.

I have seen you give enough good advice to beleive that is true for you....but not for me. I've bagged both, and can get a good 15 to 20 extra feet out of a Buzzz. I've thrown friends, so it wasnt just the disc I owned.
Makes me curoius about the difference in our throwing styles.

How far did you throw your friends?

:)

I like a mint alpha for this slot. OS and fast, easy to range. You need a bit of room to let it hyser in, but I've had good success with it so far.

Squall, Kaxe, Stalker are all good options. I haven't had experience with anything else lately. The Truth is a faster Mid in my opinion, same with the Verdict. But sounds like you may want to check out the Kaxe or Stalker - I'd like to hear some more on these type of discs :)

Ok, looks like KAXE is stable-Overstable and the KAXE-Z is beadles so a lil less overstable. I think those are good to try out for what your hoping for a tweener mid/fairway ;)

I dont understand the point in having a midrange that goes fairway distances. It's no longer a midrange if it flies fairway distances

However some discs like the Impact are in between a fairway driver and a midrange disc. These one are great for those shots a fairway driver is too much and a midrange is not enough. Impact also does tunnel shots very well.