• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

feldbergs "jump" putt

Ice Eagle

So I was watching lcgm8's new SO coverage and watching feldberg putt got me to start thinking, his putts are so close to being illegal I'm sure some of them are. Most pros when they jump putt try to be respectful of the rule cause obviously its hard to call but I think feldberg is just down to get that winning edge however he can. Maybe when you jump putt you should have to mark behind your disc just a thought.. what do you guys think?

to me it looks like he steps through and sometimes uses his left foot as a little boost on his putts you know

He was teaching that putt in the clinics, at least there the disc always left his hand before the left foot touched the ground. It looks even worse because he often just keeps on walking to the basket afterwards. It's close, but legal.

From another thread:

You'll see lcgm8's reply to me on "Part 3". Apparently he reviewed all of Dave's putts in slow motion and they were all fine. Additionally (and perhaps more importantly), it would seem that no one else on the card was concerned by what looks like a fairly blatant fault. It seems the camera angles and limited playback/streaming options may be to blame.

It is actually really awkward to putt if you land your off foot first. That alone makes me think he's not foot faulting.

i'm pretty sure this has been reviewed before and has been deemed legal.

*side note* i'm not claiming this is what people should do, but more likely would do

if it was illegal and proved to be such an advantage, i think you'd see more people adopting this method

feldberg may come off as a player that would do anything to win, but the puts i've seen have all been legal.

I tried to adapt to this style of jump putt for the simple fact that in the videos of him doing it, he gets a ton of that momentum into the disc and it goes straight for a long ways. I still don't have it down, but I found that when I pulled it off that my longer putts held that line longer than my usual putts from outside of 30'.
He explains in his clinics that it's a putt jump, not a jump putt. Because you're putting first, then jumping second.
His technique is legal even tho I may look like it's not. I love watching him do it cuz it's like a simple walk-in right into the throw.. And he stings chains with it pretty often from the vids I've seen.

x-out said:
if it was illegal and proved to be such an advantage, i think you'd see more people adopting this method

This sums everything up. I get really annoyed with people bitching about jump putting, it's legal for everyone to use the technique, even the bitchers. Suck it up and don't look for excuses as to why you missed your putt and the guy who jumped didn't. It's like when people bitch about bad baskets and teepads, they're the same for everyone else you're playing against so how is that unfair?

I'd love to see statistics that break down the actual advantage of taking a step towards the pin from 30' and from 40' as opposed to standing still.

Jeronimo said:
x-out said:

This sums everything up. I get really annoyed with people bitching about jump putting, it's legal for everyone to use the technique, even the bitchers. Suck it up and don't look for excuses as to why you missed your putt and the guy who jumped didn't. It's like when people bitch about bad baskets and teepads, they're the same for everyone else you're playing against so how is that unfair?

I'd love to see statistics that break down the actual advantage of taking a step towards the pin from 30' and from 40' as opposed to standing still.
While I agree with you on the jump putts, I disagree on the basket comparison. Let me state an example. Let's say a basket has heavy corroded chains on the left side. Person #1 throws a simple putt, since he landed 30 feet from the basket with a clean shot. Person#2 is forced to throw a hyzer shot (I'm saying LHBH since I am.) around a tree. It is repelled. by the corroded chains where it really should have stuck. It is not a matter of learning technique in this case.

While you do have a point riverboy they both could have potentially been aware of this rusty section of chains and intentionally avoided it from the beginning. It is person #2's fault he is putting from behind a tree, but now I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. Initially I meant stuff like all the baskets being single chain, or home made, etc...

Jeronimo said:

Well, taking a step toward the pin from 40' would have a huge advantage over doing it from 30' since you wouldn't be getting called for a foot fault.

I've been videotaped doing both ("walk through" and jump putting) and both were legal. That is, my right (plant) foot is on the ground after the disc leaves my hand. I jump a lot and have been questioned about it, but every time people watch me in action, they agree I'm fine. I may be biased because I'm a huge advocate of jump putting. I believe Dave D did a in depth analysis of Juliana's jump putt and found she (and by implication others) are legal. It's been a while back.

I've watched some videos of Dave (specifically the one where he, KC, PB, and others are doing trick shots in the airplane museum) where his putt is CLEARLY illegal. (The one I see is where he's in the hallway putting out to the basket. His foot is CLEARLY off the ground before the disc is out of his hand.)

Jeronimo said:

Just my experiences, but I get much more energy into the disc by walking through than a normal putting stance. I'm about 50% out to 60-70' by jumping. Normal stance, I'm about 30%. You can get that energy into a "straighter" line by jumping than by a stand-still stance. It's hard to explain without showing you. (I did a clinic on jump putting that the video will hopefully be up soon so I can show you.)

Daniel

Jeronimo said:
death by hyzer said:
here is a video of me doing a jump putt. i also run through some of my putts, someone tried calling me out on it once but im pretty sure its legit. so maybe one of you guys can decide.
go to 28 sec. in.
http://www.ksfy.com/global/category.asp?c=185294&clipId=4976814&autostart=true

You look nothing like your avatar.

Disappointment. :wink:

You're fine. Anyone willing to split hairs like that needs to take up something else.

I watched the videos several times, and there are 3 or 4 puts that are fishy to say the least. In 2 cases it realy looks as if the disc is still in his hand when the left foot touches the ground in front of the marker.

But if it is realy hard to tell even with a video and a slow motion, how can the people in the flight decide ? It is a realy close call... But i am pretty sure that i wouldnt have a good feeling about letting him get away with it.

Maybe we need a slight rule change here, or observers.