• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Innova has done a pretty good job of combatting the flipping market if you ask me. They flooded the market with HL Terns, Brinstroyers, Sexybirds, and I hope they keep doing it with KJs. I don't know why they wouldn't, they're raking in money hand over fist and it's not like they care about keeping a limited quantity for collector's value.

I hope they keep flooding the market, too, but I wouldn't call it an attempt to combat the raffle market (which, imo, is the real shady issue in DG secondary market). I know of guys that are buying up dozens at a time and raffling for 5x retail immediately. The insane $75 ceiling to get free shipping also encourages bulk buyers over individual supporters. I know I can't bring myself to buy anything from them because of it, which sucks cause I'd like to support KJ.

The problem is there seems to be no method to the madness, no transparent communication in what they intend in terms of quantities. Its kind of a crappy way of dealing with your customer base, if you ask me. The fear of the unknown encourages people in the secondary market to gamble on raffles or way inflated prices from Dbags on FB that are trying to benefit from arbitrage.

Innova either needs to limit quantities per buyer, or get these discs out to their retail partners, who they are actually undercutting by only offering them on their "pro shop" website. If I had a retail location, it would be pretty lousy to have to compete with the supplier in this manner. True flooding the market would be to allow BOTH simultaneously (and to cut back on the ridiculous shipping costs from the pro shop), or at least a limited online release before they head out to shops.

I hope they keep flooding the market, too, but I wouldn't call it an attempt to combat the raffle market (which, imo, is the real shady issue in DG secondary market). I know of guys that are buying up dozens at a time and raffling for 5x retail immediately. The insane $75 ceiling to get free shipping also encourages bulk buyers over individual supporters. I know I can't bring myself to buy anything from them because of it, which sucks cause I'd like to support KJ.

The problem is there seems to be no method to the madness, no transparent communication in what they intend in terms of quantities. Its kind of a crappy way of dealing with your customer base, if you ask me. The fear of the unknown encourages people in the secondary market to gamble on raffles or way inflated prices from Dbags on FB that are trying to benefit from arbitrage.

Innova either needs to limit quantities per buyer, or get these discs out to their retail partners, who they are actually undercutting by only offering them on their "pro shop" website. If I had a retail location, it would be pretty lousy to have to compete with the supplier in this manner. True flooding the market would be to allow BOTH simultaneously (and to cut back on the ridiculous shipping costs from the pro shop), or at least a limited online release before they head out to shops.

Most of the recent releases have been in supply. They seem to restock the popular stuff pretty regularly. Sometimes you just to wait a couple of weeks after the initial release.

I'm with you on hating the raffle pages. Just super dumb. But I've never been a disc collector, so reading about putting oopdiscs in a frame to hang on a wall is a head scratcher for me.

I remember someone on this forum wishing that innova wouldn't release any more jolly launcher gators bc he wanted his to increase in value. So strange. Easier ways to make $.

My understanding is that the tour series stuff is available to their brick and mortar retailers.

Also keep in mind that the whole point of the tour series stuff is to put cash in their pros pockets, and they have a lot more margin to pass on to the pros when they are selling these directly to the customers.

I'm with you on hating the raffle pages. Just super dumb. But I've never been a disc collector, so reading about putting oopdiscs in a frame to hang on a wall is a head scratcher for me.
I remember someone on this forum wishing that innova wouldn't release any more jolly launcher gators bc he wanted his to increase in value. So strange. Easier ways to make $.
Amen to that brother.

My understanding is that the tour series stuff is available to their brick and mortar retailers.
Also keep in mind that the whole point of the tour series stuff is to put cash in their pros pockets, and they have a lot more margin to pass on to the pros when they are selling these directly to the customers.

I've literally never seen a tour series disc in a retail shop, ever.
Not saying it doesn't happen, just I've never seen it in the wild.
And, I agree on the support point, but still think there are better ways to make this work and avoid the crazy FB markups to a degree.

I haven't seen one in a local store but I think k they pop up on the online stores from time to time. I wonder if they aren't as profitable?

I remember discgolfcenter used to sell brinster birds for a bit more than the factory store buy obviously the shipping was way less.

Amen to that brother.

I've literally never seen a tour series disc in a retail shop, ever.
Not saying it doesn't happen, just I've never seen it in the wild.
And, I agree on the support point, but still think there are better ways to make this work and avoid the crazy FB markups to a degree.

I've seen McPro tour series discs in my local PIAS before. However I believe it says online that there is no bulk discount on tour series discs to retailers so they are paying full price, which explains why PIAS was selling McPro Aviars for $25 and why you don't normally see tour series discs in brick and mortar retailers.

I got out and threw a KJ Bird today, and the verdict is... It's a teebird alright! It's a bit more stable than a standard star but not as much as a brinster or my 2013 AJ. Although I don't throw champ Teebirds, I would imagine the stability is similar to a max weight JL teebird. Nice disc, I might pick up a few more eventually.

I've seen McPro tour series discs in my local PIAS before. However I believe it says online that there is no bulk discount on tour series discs to retailers so they are paying full price, which explains why PIAS was selling McPro Aviars for $25 and why you don't normally see tour series discs in brick and mortar retailers.

Yup. Innova Tour Support discs are never discounted. (Excepting for misprints). Online direct sale and in person will always be lowest prices unless the seller is taking a loss.

I got out and threw a KJ Bird today, and the verdict is... It's a teebird alright! It's a bit more stable than a standard star but not as much as a brinster or my 2013 AJ. Although I don't throw champ Teebirds, I would imagine the stability is similar to a max weight JL teebird. Nice disc, I might pick up a few more eventually.

They look pretty tho

Damn you tapatalk. Flight is very similar to a brand new, patent number PFN stiff Star Teebird. I'm really liking it.

Last edited: