• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Damn. Now I want one of these mid range wizards.

Reptile Disc Golf has a disc that is like the Midrange wizard if you can find it in Fossil. I forget the disc name though. I do think the G9i not expensive when they come to the market anywhere but they are harder to find, as players that use them buy them up to have a stash especially if they are 175 grams.

Last edited:
Damn. Now I want one of these mid range wizards.

The plastic chunked easily in my experience. That disc is in my practice pile because some time like 10 years ago it hit a tree on a 3/4 power drive, lost a chunk and became instantly flippy. I always found regular old soft S wizards to be the best long-term throwers. They can take a beating for years.

The plastic chunked easily in my experience. That disc is in my practice pile because some time like 10 years ago it hit a tree on a 3/4 power drive, lost a chunk and became instantly flippy. I always found regular old soft S wizards to be the best long-term throwers. They can take a beating for years.

Pure White baby. Ibreally justbwant one for my nostalgic self. Same reason I hunted down a zippertop OLF.

The old Wizards that chunked easy were the Standard Wizard without an indication on the plastic that was nearly as stiff as a G9i but much less durable. My dad has hit mostly the Disc golf Basket and Chains with his Putter and it looks like it is Chunked up He even stopped using for a bit in the 2000's for other discs but gave the disc a chance as a long approach disc again before he stopped playing mostly. Of the stiff plastics the unknown baseline from up to 2004, I would guess medium or firm, it is the weakest.

Last edited:
Gotta say of all the Wizards I have tried, the Eraser Wizards seem like the best for me. Great for throwing, even better for putting. Outstanding when wet. There was this one round we did in pouring rain and after all the towels were gone, Star/S-line plastic was like trying to throw discs made out of teflon. Then I luckily understood to just play one disc only for the last 6 holes with the Eraser Wizard and it was sooooo much easier. Didnt even try drying it, just grip it and rip it. A nice 300+ft downhill anhyzer for example, a thing of beauty.

Which Wizard plastic is close in stiffnes to Trilogy "blend" ? Super soft?

Which Wizard plastic is close in stiffnes to Trilogy "blend" ? Super soft?

I would say that Gateway's sss is approximately about the same stiffness, keeping in mind that two sss Wizards can vary somewhat in stiffness.

If i look at Infinite Discs and there "softness bar" under the discs,

The Judge Classic is at 4 for softness. . .blend at 5 and soft at 7

Wizard soft is at 4 . . .super soft 7 and super stupid soft at 8

So if this i right the super soft is alot softer than a "blend"

But i got my Gateway Evolution Magic today that is listed at a 4 in softness . . but it´s WAY softer than my DD Classic or Lat64 zero hard that also have a 4 in softness

There is no hard and fast rule for flexibility in Gateway's plastics. Some SSS start firmer than Softs. I have a couple Mediums that are softer than some of my SSs. If you buy online and frequent a shop that lists firmness ratings, then that's the best you're going to get.

So am I the only one who has decided to put blinders on and just throw S Wizards and skip the whole inconsistency issue? I putt with Daggers so no need to seek out just the right feel.

I just bought a couple dozen G9i reissues when they were first released. My practice basket has ER25, Fossil, G9i, Glow Evo, and a few other blends. They all putt like Wizards regardless of how they feel.

I just bought a couple dozen G9i reissues when they were first released. My practice basket has ER25, Fossil, G9i, Glow Evo, and a few other blends. They all putt like Wizards regardless of how they feel.

Reissues? Go on...

Reissues? Go on...

The original G9i was the stamp like has been posted lately. The ones I bought were run years later after Dave picked up more of the plastic that bred the early runs that started the flex test BS. I bought my hoard after the first recent run before he started messing with the formula.

sorry if I missed it...

Is the wizard a retool? From 21.0 diam to 21.2 now?

Are PWPs the closest to G9is? I use 2 mediums acquired from a PIAS years ago, and would like backups as close as possible...TIA

The original G9i was the stamp like has been posted lately. The ones I bought were run years later after Dave picked up more of the plastic that bred the early runs that started the flex test BS. I bought my hoard after the first recent run before he started messing with the formula.

I thought you were saying there was another recent batch. Which, if true, would require me to call Gateway and get 20 stamped up with the SP logo.

sorry if I missed it...

Is the wizard a retool? From 21.0 diam to 21.2 now?

Are PWPs the closest to G9is? I use 2 mediums acquired from a PIAS years ago, and would like backups as close as possible...TIA

PWPs aren't a thing anymore--they were a prototype. PWs are.

PWs are closest in stiffness, although they are much higher shouldered than G9i. PW are great overstable throwers, but they fell pretty different in a putting grip.

The measurement change was just a remeasurement, not a retool. So 175 gram Wizards would be "legal". Because whiners were whining.