• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I see comparisons between fossil and pwp's. I have become a fan of fossils after using ss/sss for a minute. What's the difference between the two? Does fossil hold flight characteristics longer?

Depends what Fossil, but mostly no.

Early fossil runs are very stiff/. Newer ones are much softer. Both are pretty low shouldered and flat (the newer softer ones being lower shouldered than the earlier stiffer ones).

PWs are stiffer still than the early Fossils (there are some softer PWPs, but the final PW formulation is all stiff that I have seen) and flat, but with a higher shoulder. They fly more overstable (like all higher shouldered Wizards).

Generally speaking, PWs are stiffer, deeper, and more overstable than Fossils. I use PWs as throwers mostly, although I will put a Fossil in when I need a Wiz that starts straight, and seasons faster.

Does anyone throw flippy wizards and if so how did you get them there? I have a beat to snot SSS that still has zero turn.

Does anyone throw flippy wizards and if so how did you get them there? I have a beat to snot SSS that still has zero turn.

Seems to me the softer ones keep the initial stability longer as they absorb more shock. I have been working on beating a PW and its slowly showing more and more turn.

There's unfortunately no rule to determine stability changes. Why do you consider it to be beat to snot? Wizards show damage really easily until they get to a certain point and then don't look like they develop any more blemishes.

How long have you been throwing your Wizard? How far? How many trees and other objects have you hit with it? Do you fold it around the rim in your spare time sitting on the couch?

I have a wizard that was ran over by an suv, and is now a hyzerflip to straight or turnover disc, or a roller.

I am the second owner and it had seen some **** before I got it. I should have asked for you guys' opinion of what kind of wizards develop turn the fastest instead. I really like this one for stable shots up to 320' but i also want a flippy one for more finesse and workability.

Given the nature of Wizards and all the difference even within a certain stiffness that might not give me much though..

If you're throwing Wizards over 300', throw it against a wall with that kind of power and then throw it in a field. If it's not flippy enough, throw it against a wall and then test it again.

I am the second owner and it had seen some **** before I got it. I should have asked for you guys' opinion of what kind of wizards develop turn the fastest instead. I really like this one for stable shots up to 320' but i also want a flippy one for more finesse and workability.

Find a base plastic Wizard with a low shoulder/flat top in the flex of your liking. It will take some time (typically a season of throwing) for it to develop reliable turn. Avoid the runs with the high shoulder - they will likely never beat into a turnover disc.

If you're throwing Wizards over 300', throw it against a wall with that kind of power and then throw it in a field. If it's not flippy enough, throw it against a wall and then test it again.

My thrower has been smashed against trees and stuff for an extended period of time but i guess some more abuse won't hurt. I have a lot of wizards but I've only used them for putting before this season. I'll go through my stack, find a low shoulder flat top one and start the process.

Back when I got into the mold, I remember the overstable Wizards always being the low shouldered ones. I only drove with mediums and eventually firm "softs" for 7 years or so. Something must have happened when they retooled the mold. When I started looking for more, I bought a few of the new PWs, and the nose looks very different. It has a slightly high shoulder, and is pretty darn overstable. The plastic itself feels really nice, but it's just not the same.

Anybody try the new Nikko Wizards?

I finally bought a Nikko Wizard but I haven't thrown it.
It has a a flat top, low shoulder, and a nice bullet shaped nose. I have picked up a few high shouldered blunt nosed Wizards recently but this Nikko is classic Wizard shaped.
I would rate the overall flex of the disc as ss but the flight plate feels more like sss. Is the flight plate actually thinner, I don't know, but it feels thinner. These should"clover" more quickly like they did years ago.
The plastic has a very smooth surface with a rubbery feel.

Last edited:
Back when I got into the mold, I remember the overstable Wizards always being the low shouldered ones. I only drove with mediums and eventually firm "softs" for 7 years or so. Something must have happened when they retooled the mold. When I started looking for more, I bought a few of the new PWs, and the nose looks very different. It has a slightly high shoulder, and is pretty darn overstable. The plastic itself feels really nice, but it's just not the same.

Very much different frpm any of the sure grips. I putt and throw PWs.

There are still wizards out there like the old ones. I have wizards from 2003-2004 that feel/throw pretty much the same as some that I picked up last year. You have to go somewhere with a selection and hand-pick what you're looking for.

There are still wizards out there like the old ones. I have wizards from 2003-2004 that feel/throw pretty much the same as some that I picked up last year. You have to go somewhere with a selection and hand-pick what you're looking for.

Nope not if you had the G9i, they made those and they feel like they flat topped the disc to market it in the early 2000's as a fairway putter. I got my G9i in 2004 and it feels not as tall profile to the disc as the Wizards that were made in the old plastic that was as stiff as G9i but nowhere as durable. See my pictures on this thread for the disc of mine. later G9i feel more like a true Wizard and say putter on them like the other Wizards.

I picked up a 'medium flex' today at pias for $4 (great shape taboot taboot) This thing is fun off the tee! Slicker than my fossil, but firmer.

I picked up a 'medium flex' today at pias for $4 (great shape taboot taboot) This thing is fun off the tee! Slicker than my fossil, but firmer.

Medium's are awesome. I have my lucky beat up medium as my outside the circle putter. Have a few for throwers as well.

Nope not if you had the G9i, they made those and they feel like they flat topped the disc to market it in the early 2000's as a fairway putter. I got my G9i in 2004 and it feels not as tall profile to the disc as the Wizards that were made in the old plastic that was as stiff as G9i but nowhere as durable. See my pictures on this thread for the disc of mine. later G9i feel more like a true Wizard and say putter on them like the other Wizards.

Well I've got this one in my backyard practice pile probably from 2003-2004 or so. It's super hard obviously with a very low shoulder, but overall the profile is more or less the same as the newer ones. I use it interchangeably with a bunch of others for practice. Some of the fossil ones I picked up from RDG last year feel pretty much exactly the same.

Attachments

• 138803AF-2CA5-4B0B-9221-E204C0A137BC.jpg
    138803AF-2CA5-4B0B-9221-E204C0A137BC.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
Well I've got this one in my backyard practice pile probably from 2003-2004 or so. It's super hard obviously with a very low shoulder, but overall the profile is more or less the same as the newer ones. I use it interchangeably with a bunch of others for practice. Some of the fossil ones I picked up from RDG last year feel pretty much exactly the same.

Yep mine is the same disc not color faded, Mirdange approach, going to give it to my dad for birthday as a backup for his old one that is in a no name plastic but is about as stiff ad G9i but nowhere near as durable.